Amiga Event Essen and MorphOS Team
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    <bigfoot> http://bigfoot.morphos-team.net/test/powermacg5_showconfig.jpeg - only a day late, but oh well :)
  • »25.07.10 - 19:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It was indeed the Macbook

How did you see MorphOS running on that?
  • »25.07.10 - 20:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    You're a funny bunch of ppl ;-) . Yesterday Jacek was telling me that the 970 is problematic, because the 32 bit mode were providing user mode only and the kernel (which one? exec or quark? Or both?) requires supervisor mode. As it seems something is 64 bit now... nice one!

But I myself was enjoying MorphOS on the powerbook quite a lot. Looking very forward to it.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »25.07.10 - 20:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    Andreas, what is the english word for Korinthenkacker?
  • »25.07.10 - 21:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > what is the english word for Korinthenkacker?

I don't know. But I know what the following means in English:

"Heute MIttag stehen hier ein Powerbook und ein iBook G4 mit - MorphOS 3.0!!"
    http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.php?p=357899

"es stand aber in der Tat auch ein iBook G4 dort, welches auch zeitweise mit MorphOS "3.0" vorgefuehrt wurde."
    http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.php?p=358004

You want me to translate it? ;-P
  • »25.07.10 - 21:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    <bigfoot> http://bigfoot.morphos-team.net/test/powermacg5_showconfig.jpeg - only a day late, but oh well :)

After all the MorphOS Team has written in the past stating that MorphOS cannot, or will not be ported to any G5 Mac hardware, now you show us a screen shot of progress being made to do exactly the opposite!

That is awesome news and must have many of the AOS4.x development team sh!tt!ng their pants as they see any chance of getting even close to MorphOS performance on AOS4.x fading from their grasp for another several years (if ever).

I also am watching the progress on the G4 PowerBooks as I really want a MorphOS laptop and the G4 PowerBook is a great machine. From the video provided that was taken at the Essen show, it looks like the trackpad driver is completed and I thought I heard that the Ethernet driver for the PowerBook was identical as the Ethernet driver for the G4 PowerMac MDD and that it was also completed, so I am wondering what else is left to do that is preventing a release of MorphOS that supports both the G4 PowerBook and PowerMac?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.07.10 - 21:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    ... so I am wondering what else is left to do that is preventing a release of MorphOS that supports both the G4 PowerBook and PowerMac?

9700 3D driver and WLAN. Minor issues are no battery tool and no audio volume control.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »25.07.10 - 22:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Charvel
    @Piru and rest of Morphteam

Are you actually working on getting MorphOS to run on G5 Macs?

Is it years in the future or nearby?
    Maybee I should buy that G5 from a friend just in case.... :) '
  • »25.07.10 - 22:56
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    @Jim

Everything I say/write is a lie .... :-P

Huh? That had me shaking my head and then laughing for several minutes.

OK , I won't ask again. Besides the eMac support was a kind of pleasant surprise, whille waiting for Powermac and Powerbook supports been kind of grueling.
    Better to be surprised.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »25.07.10 - 23:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @Piru
    It' s fantastic ! :-)
    I'm ready to buy MorphOS 2.6 for PowerMac G4 FW800, but also I'll buy MorphOS for PowerMac G5 (I have one here ready :-) )

@all
    a PowerMac G5 SINGLE CPU 1.8ghz It's = PowerMac G4 DUAL CPU @1420 FW800/MDD
  • »25.07.10 - 23:35
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Divinity wrote:

@all
    a PowerMac G5 SINGLE CPU 1.8ghz It's = PowerMac G4 DUAL CPU @1420 FW800/MDD

Under MorphOS a Powermac G5 single cpu > Powermac G4 Dual cpu
    (In fact it should be more powerful than Nemo)

$ Note to myself - remember not to keep holding the shift key down when typing in numbers

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/7/26 5:29 ]
  • »26.07.10 - 00:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks Zylesea. I could live without those two items and would buy MorphOS2.x for the PowerBook today (actually after the first of the month) if it were released with the understanding that the WLAN and 3D driver for the 9700 Mobility video card would be completed at some time in the future.

Also, I have this question; the 9700 Mobility in the G4 PowerBook comes in both 64mb and 128mb varieties. Are both supported by the same driver, or is a separate driver required for the 128mb 9700 Mobility video card?

I have a DEAD 1GHz G4 PowerBook (last of the Titanium cases before switching to Aluminum cases) that I thought about getting fixed, but will probably get a newer PowerBook so I can have the 128mb 9700 Mobility video card and latest ports available on the last production run of 15.2" or 17.1" PowerBooks.

Edit: @Divinity & Jim, I wonder if the 3rd party 1.8GHz G4 for the PowerMac will be able to compete with the 1.6GHz to 1.8GHz X1000? Given the performance advantage of MorphOS2.5 over AmigaOS4.1.2 on the same Pegasos2 system, even if the X1000 is technically faster than a G4 PowerMac, I wonder how the two will compare against each other on many different speed test tasks? Currently I am a MorphOS users and like it very much, but if AmigaOS4.x ever surpasses MorphOS in areas that are important to me, I have no problem switching to using which ever is the best system (as long as they are both priced reasonably, which MorphOS obviously has a huge advantage with at the moment). This isn't a religion for me and I am not hung up on who currently owns a name and trademark. I just want the most fun from my Amiga experience. :lol:

[ Edited by amigadave on 2010/7/25 18:15 ]
  • »26.07.10 - 01:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    @Jim

The 2.7 GHz G5 should be faster than a 1.8 GHz PASemi PowerFicient but the PA Semi should run cooler.

@thread
    I may not be happy about how the AmigaOS 4 team are following in the mainstream machines' footsteps, but they seem to have the competition going in this sector of the market along with the MorphOS team.
  • »26.07.10 - 01:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
    @Jim

The 2.7 GHz G5 should be faster than a 1.8 GHz PASemi PowerFicient but the PA Semi should run cooler.

@thread
    I may not be happy about how the AmigaOS 4 team are following in the mainstream machines' footsteps, but they seem to have the competition going in this sector of the market along with the MorphOS team.

What do you mean by "they seem to have the competition going"? That they are a worthy competitor for the MorphOS Dev. Team? Or do you mean that they have a significant part of the very limited market sector's attention at the moment?
  • »26.07.10 - 01:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Under MorphOS a Powermac G5 single cpu > Powermac G$ Dual cpu

I second that, at least if "$" means "4" ;-)
  • »26.07.10 - 01:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Under MorphOS a Powermac G5 single cpu > Powermac G$ Dual cpu

Huh? I don't think so. At least not if ">" means "faster".

How are you going to get "MorphOS2.x" running faster on a Dual G4 PowerMac than on a Single Core G5 when MorphOS is not written to take advantage of the second CPU core?

Edit: Not fair editing and reversing the meaning of your post while I am responding to it. :lol:

[ Edited by amigadave on 2010/7/25 18:57 ]
  • »26.07.10 - 01:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the 9700 Mobility in the G4 PowerBook comes in both 64mb and 128mb varieties.
    > Are both supported by the same driver, or is a separate driver required for the
    > 128mb 9700 Mobility video card?

A look into MOSSYS:Devs/Monitors/ of your very own MorphOS installation should answer your question.

> I wonder if the 3rd party 1.8GHz G4 for the PowerMac will be able to compete
    > with the 1.6GHz to 1.8GHz X1000?

And I wonder if 3rd party CPU upgrades will be supported by MorphOS at all ;-) Btw, according to Trevor Dickinson in Essen the X1000 will be clockable up to 2.0 GHz simply by software which will be provided with OS4. So the X1000 would most likely be operated in a range from 1.8 to 2.0 GHz, not 1.6 to 1.8 GHz.
  • »26.07.10 - 02:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Not fair editing and reversing the meaning of your post while I am responding to it.

Sorry, originally I misread Jim's post (mistook "$" for "5") and started fixing my response while I was still last one in the thread ;-)
  • »26.07.10 - 02:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Not fair editing and reversing the meaning of your post while I am responding to it.

Sorry, originally I misread Jim's post (mistook "$" for "5") and started fixing my response while I was still last one in the thread ;-)

Easy mistake. I don't know where the "$" is located on a German keyboard, but it is the shifted "4" key on a US keyboard, so it is easier for me to see his mistake in typing G$ instead of G4.

I don't know the power of the PA6T CPU compared to G4 and G5 CPU's at the same clock rate, but being a new mobo, the X1000 will likely (or should) have faster bus and memory as well as a more efficient design, so these will factor into speed comparisons with 5 to 10 year old Mac hardware as well. Producing less heat will make it easier to run a silent, or nearly silent X1000, where the G4 and G5 PowerMacs have had some noise complaints.

Nice to read that the X1000 will be capable of 2GHz, or maybe a bit faster if overclocked.
  • »26.07.10 - 02:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I don't know where the "$" is located on a German keyboard, but it is the
    > shifted "4" key on a US keyboard

Yes, the same on German layout. I was just not looking properly ;-)

> being a new mobo, the X1000 will likely (or should) have faster bus and memory

Upper limits of bus and memory clocks are dictated by the SoC part (X1000) or northbridge part (PowerMac), not by the mainboard. The PA6T was introduced some years ago, so it's not really new. But it surely has faster bus and memory speed than G4, and probably about the same as G5 northbridge (CPC925 or CPC945), depending on PowerMac G5 model (bigfoot's picture says 1350 MHz, PA6T has 1067 MHz).

> maybe a bit faster if overclocked.

I read that Trevor Dickinson mentioned overclockability up to 2.2 GHz.
  • »26.07.10 - 04:08
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    Andreas, the Mac Book was running, it showed consoles, and the operating system was definately not MacOS X. The Powerbook was running MorphOS "3". So my first impression was of course, that this was an iBook running MorphOS, too. MorphOS on a Macbook would have been a real sensation, if not impossible.
  • »26.07.10 - 04:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I'm glad you're all having fun with what would appear to be the aged American Dyslexic's typing (actually I've got one sticking shift key).

What Andreas has failed to point out to you is that he's already provided us with figures that point out that the PA6T at similar clock speeds would be less powerful than a G5 (as, obviously, so would a G4).

To hell with the energy usage, I just shelved an AMD processor that was using 125 watts (140 if overclocked). And G5 Mac's are cheap. I'll pay for the extra electricity!

I don't want to pay $400 for a 7448 upgrade (which may not be supported) if , for a little more, I can buy a whole G5 Powermac.

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/7/26 5:40 ]
  • »26.07.10 - 04:40
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

DrZarkov wrote:
    Andreas, the Mac Book was running, it showed consoles, and the operating system was definately not MacOS X.

That OS is called Linux.
  • »26.07.10 - 05:19
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    Well, I knew that later, but it was not to see at the first glimpse. He was not using a common desktop like Gnome or KDE, so it was not obvious what he was using.
  • »26.07.10 - 05:27
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    G5 support!?!?!

GREAT news!

MorphOS Team Rules!
  • »26.07.10 - 07:15