• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Your perspective is fueled by your desire to see a change in ISAs.

No, I couldn't care less what CPU MorphOS runs on, as long as it will continue to be developed in the future for a HW platform that has some kind of pulse. So it's really the other way around; my desire to see a change in ISA comes from my perspective that PPC is dead.

Quote:

We don't need to consider an ISA change for at least a couple years.

"We"? Perhaps not you and me, but a "proper" migration (in parallel to the "normal" development) would probably take a couple of years at the current "hobby development pace", so an ISA change is something I hope the developers has already decided upon some time ago already.

Quote:

right now there is no ARM processor as powerful as a G5.

But right now there are ARM processors capable of giving the user a generally faster experience than Efika 5k2, which many MorphOS users (including me) already feels is more than adequate for most usages, and playing any kind of media files you throw at it in 1080p through HW acceleration on top of that, which I think would be the main selling point for G5 to general users, but without the heat and noise. So that is already covered. And you can buy new HW as well, from more than one manufacturer, and it's really cheap. Perfect for a hobby platform. And the future ARM evolution is very interesting, probably the most interesting and dynamic of all architectures right now, with the architecture going through a transition far into territories it hasn't been in before. I read somewhere that more and more laptop manufacturers are considering building ARM machines in the future, when coming generations of ARM CPU's are released, and Windows 8 is released for it. It won't be any shortage of cool HW.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »27.06.11 - 08:08