Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I really like Trevor Dickinson and Matthew Leaman of A-Eon

No shit?

;-)

Quote:

but I worry a little about the choices they have made for new system hardware. That, plus the snails pace that Hyperion is able to complete ports to new hardware is a recipe for failure

I think the meaning of the word "insane" is finally starting to sink into you...

;-)

Quote:

but perhaps there are still enough devoted AmigaOS4.x users to purchase X5000 and A1222 systems, to save A-Eon from losing so much money that Trevor gets discouraged to the point of giving up his dream to provide hardware that keeps AmigaOS4.x development alive.

I can't believe anyone is actually cheering for the corporate side that is actually making insane decisions at the expense of devoted (blind?) Amiga enthusiasts who will litterally buy anything they would offer, as long as someone say it's (well...cough...kind-of..) AMIIIIGAAA!!!!1!

They have made everything wrong. Everything! I (kind of) understand they fealt some need to shoulder some kind of responsibilit of OS4 development (HW side (*and* SW side as well, come to think of it)) given the fact that the OS4 project did litteraly crash and burn years ago (obvious to everyone but a few). But they have mislead a great number of people into buying into (with LOTS of dollars/euros) a future that is basically a dead-end. And the product they sold were excessively expensive to develop (by paying premium price to Varisys) given the low volume, and they had some really insane design decisions, like the whole Xorro/Xena/Whatever stuff that not even they themselves know what it's there for, and some very strange choices of CPU's! And they have done all this repeatedly! That's the definition of insane in my books!

And here you are hoping that *they* won't lose money, that "enthusiasts" will fill their pockets (at the expense of any alternatives, past present or future) so that they can do it all over again? When will you realise there is no plan? AeonKit are not even official decision makes on behalf of the OS4 platform! At this point, probably no-one is!

OS4 should have supported the same Mac models that MorphOS did. Then they should have strived for x64 move, with modern features like SMP and full 64-bit computing, ISA move, etc.

But it won't happen. Because then came the "Tabor", with *a whole new level* of stupid.

All this prevents a real future for the OS4 platform, the OS4 no-future dead-end direction is nurtured by the few misguided people with too much money at hand who actually buys what AeonKit eventually manage to get out the door.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »20.01.16 - 22:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the product they sold were excessively expensive to develop [...] given the low volume

These two things are independently of each other, which is the very reason for the high sales price.

> they had [...] some very strange choices of CPU's!

The CPU choice for Tabor is a real mystery, yes, whereas I think the choices for Nemo and Cyrus were sensible at the time they were arrived at.
  • »20.01.16 - 22:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > the product they sold were excessively expensive to develop [...] given the low volume

These two things are independently of each other, which is the very reason for the high sales price.

> they had [...] some very strange choices of CPU's!

The CPU choice for Tabor is a real mystery, yes, whereas I think the choices for Nemo and Cyrus were sensible at the time they were arrived at.

@TMHG,

I won't bother even responding to your ridiculous rants, other than to say, you think you know it all and have the only valid perspective, but I assure you that you do not.

@A_Wolf,

I agree with you that the only CPU choice that is puzzling, given the time frame the choices were made, is the CPU in the Tabor A1222, and that I blame on Varisys probably giving Trevor and Matthew bad, or at least, uninformed advice. The people at Varisys don't have prior Amiga experience and probably don't keep up to date on the conversations in our community. Why the fact that the CPU used in the Tabor would be a problem, not having a supported FPU, escaped the notice of Trevor and Matthew could probably just be due to neither of them being hardware guys and under estimating the problem. I am pretty sure that the guys at Varisys would have dismissed it as even being a problem, and probably just told Trevor and Matthew that it was an easy software fix or work around.

Edit: Until the Tabor is actually released running AmigaOS4.1FE, no one can really say how much of a performance problem the FPU will be.

[ Edited by amigadave 20.01.2016 - 18:12 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.01.16 - 01:10
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    ...that I blame on Varisys probably giving Trevor and Matthew bad, or at least, uninformed advice. The people at Varisys don't have prior Amiga experience and probably don't keep up to date on the conversations in our community. Why the fact that the CPU used in the Tabor would be a problem, not having a supported FPU, escaped the notice of Trevor and Matthew could probably just be due to neither of them being hardware guys and under estimating the problem. I am pretty sure that the guys at Varisys would have dismissed it as even being a problem, and probably just told Trevor and Matthew that it was an easy software fix or work around.

That seems likely.
    I'm very fond of Paul and his team, but the market that most of their hardware faces is Linux (or embedded applications).

Amigoid OS do present more of a challenge.

As to the date of the decision, it would appear to have been made before the low cost e5500 cpus were available, so the e500 based cpu makes sense.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »24.01.16 - 19:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > As to the date of the decision, it would appear to have been made before
    > the low cost e5500 cpus were available, so the e500 based cpu makes sense.

Before availability, but certainly after announcement, so they should have waited.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11387&start=122
  • »24.01.16 - 21:21
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

...Before availability, but certainly after announcement, so they should have waited.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11387&start=122

I certainly wish they had waited.
    But at the time they had no idea that the T10XX line would be priced so economically.

I fear if we don't go for this one ourselves, that we may not see it utilized.
    I really don't understand Aeon's decision to use their first 32 bit processor.

But the X5000 still holds its appeal.
  • »24.01.16 - 21:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I fear if we don't go for this one ourselves, that we may not see it utilized.

Can you clarify the above statement Jim? I don't know what you were trying to express with that sentence.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »14.02.16 - 21:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I certainly wish they had waited. But at the time they had no idea
    >> that the T10XX line would be priced so economically. I fear if we
    >> don't go for this one ourselves, that we may not see it utilized.

> Can you clarify the above statement Jim? I don't know what you were
    > trying to express with that sentence.

I'm not Jim but I guess reading the following comments may shed some light:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40882&forum=14&start=240#778132
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40882&forum=14&start=240#778134
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40882&forum=14&start=240#778163
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40691&forum=2&start=400#780141
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40691&forum=2&start=400#780185
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40691&forum=2&start=400#780191
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40691&forum=2&start=400#780204
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40691&forum=2&start=400#780212

Edit: added more links

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 20.03.2016 - 07:46 ]
  • »14.02.16 - 21:55
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> I certainly wish they had waited. But at the time they had no idea
    >> that the T10XX line would be priced so economically. I fear if we
    >> don't go for this one ourselves, that we may not see it utilized.

> Can you clarify the above statement Jim? I don't know what you were
    > trying to express with that sentence.

I'm not Jim but I guess reading the following comments may shed some light:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40882&forum=14&start=240#778132
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40882&forum=14&start=240#778134
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40882&forum=14&start=240#778163

Well, that is a pretty concise group of posts to sum things up.
    Looked into it, didn't get the response or encouragement I'd hoped for.
    Shelved it.
  • »15.02.16 - 21:27
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I really like Trevor Dickinson and Matthew Leaman of A-Eon, but I worry a little about the choices they have made for new system hardware...

Although some might think otherwise, I'm quite fond of Trevor myself (even though he no longer replies to my messages, hey at least he hasn't "unfriended" me on Facebook...yet).

I have decided to stop waffling about the purchase of an X5000 though and have set funds aside for that purpose (when it becomes possible).

I never thought I'd find myself dependant on a release from Hyperion...

[ Edited by Jim 15.06.2016 - 11:50 ]
  • »15.06.16 - 13:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I have decided to stop waffling about the purchase of an X5000 though and have set funds aside for that purpose (when it becomes possible).

Why not get the board without OS4.1FE? A-eonkit not offering it without OS4? Or you just mean the ridiculous slowness of HYPErion porting the OS holding up the release?
  • »15.06.16 - 23:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Why not get the board without OS4.1FE? A-eonkit not offering it without OS4? Or you just mean the ridiculous slowness of HYPErion porting the OS holding up the release?

They won't sell it until OS4.1 is ready, and when they do they are only going to give us a $20 rebate on OS4.
    Might as well have a reason to hold Hyperion to their promise of the mythic OS4.2.
    Plus, if I ever sell it (which isn't that likely) I can supply OS4.1 to the buyer.
  • »16.06.16 - 01:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> PPC476FPE: 1.6 GHz, dual-core, 3x PCIe, 1x I²C
    >> PPC476GTR: 1.6 GHz, dual-core, 4x PCIe, 2x I²C, 1x SDHC, 1x SATA,
    >> 1x USB2, 2x USB1.1, Ethernet

> PPC476GTR? Wow, that IS a hard one to get info on. I just contacted
    > IBM tech support and got the equivalent of 'huh?'. And a reference to
    > a different support line. IBM REALLY doesn't want to market components.

Regarding the PPC476FPE, it seems that this SoC is what IBM uses as their FSP2 (Flexible Service Processor) board, which is the management processor in their non-OpenPOWER POWER8/POWER9 systems. This explains plausibly why the PPC476FPE part isn't marketed by IBM.

https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2017-May/157856.html

Regarding the PPC476GTR SoC, I've yet to find out what this is actually used for.
  • »22.06.20 - 07:29