New SAM460EX
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > In one of the most convoluted twists in Amiga history, a revelation comes:
    > The new Amiga X1000 is "the same" as an Atari Transputer Workstation!

The Amiga has a history with the Transputer as well:

http://www.bboah.com/index.php?search=transputer&submit=Go&action=search
    http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/prototypes/transputer.html
  • »18.04.10 - 13:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It's most certainly the Titan from Intrinsity/AMCC

The only Titan core based chip that has been announced is the APM83290, which is available just up to 1.5 GHz. The X1000's CPU is announced to have 1.8 GHz.

> what else can it be?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6775&forum=11#69373
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&start=40#72160
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&start=60#72176

:-)
  • »18.04.10 - 13:44
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Overclocked?
  • »18.04.10 - 15:13
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.04.2011 - 07:17 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »18.04.10 - 15:28
    Golem
    @Velcro

You are posting in a public forum, you don't get to decide who responds to your posts :)
  • »18.04.10 - 15:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.04.2011 - 07:20 ]
  • »18.04.10 - 16:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > are you serious?!

Of course I am.

> Doesn't the fact that I didn't respond to you for months, despite your frequent responses
    > to me, help to make you realize that I sincerely don't want to talk with you?!

The fact that you recently started responding to me again helps to make me realize that you sincerely do want to talk with me again.

> The only reason I do so now (please don't ellipse this out if you respond) is to try to get
    > you to understand, so you will stop responding to me all the time.

If you really want to make me realize that you sincerely don't want to talk with me, the best way to show this would be actually not responding to me (like you did for the last months, as you say). At the moment you do the opposite. That's what I try to get you to understand.
  • »18.04.10 - 16:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Overclocked?

Would be an option, technically. But I seriously doubt that.
  • »18.04.10 - 16:15
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.04.2011 - 07:12 ]
  • »18.04.10 - 16:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > NO!

But it does! :-)

> to try to get you to go away from me.

You won't. I even promised that to you a while back. Whenever I feel the need or the pleasure to respond to you I'll do so.
  • »18.04.10 - 16:37
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.04.2011 - 07:18 ]
  • »18.04.10 - 16:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > If it were me, and someone didn't want to talk to me, I'd respect that and satisfy
    > myself communicating with others.

I respect that you don't want to talk to me, no problem with that. It's you who doesn't respect that it's my wish to respond to your postings whenever I do so. You don't have to respond to my response and I never said I thought you'd have to.
  • »18.04.10 - 17:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

>> It's most certainly the Titan from Intrinsity/AMCC

> The only Titan core based chip that has been announced is the APM83290, which
    > is available just up to 1.5 GHz. The X1000's CPU is announced to have 1.8 GHz.

"this is an historic picture of AmigaOS4 running on a 64-bit Power CPU."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=31325&forum=2&start=260#553255

With this, anything based on Titan, be it already announced or not, can be ruled out for sure.
  • »19.04.10 - 09:04
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    PowerPC 970FX! 64bit, dual core, could easily do 1.8GHz.

No, I don't think it's an IBM processor either, but what is it Andreas?

Also, after all this discussion on the new Acube MB, why not port MorphOS to Acube boards? The Applied Micro processors they're using are a little underpowered, but the boards are avaiable. Isn't availability one of the major considerations (when deciding what to port to)?

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/4/21 4:51 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »21.04.10 - 03:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    PowerPC 970FX! 64bit, dual core, could easily do 1.8GHz.
    No, I don't think it's an IBM processor either, but what is it Andreas?

The CPU is said to be something that we probably haven't seen "out in the wild".

Quote:

Also, after all this discussion on the new Acube MB, why not port MorphOS to Acube boards? The Applied Micro processors they're using are a little underpowered

Compared to what MorphOS currently runs on (and will be running on soonish), that motherboard is not only "a little" underpowered, it's also ridiculously expensive, and a very low volume thing. How many could Acube hope to sell to the Amiga community? 30? 60? 90? All in all, how would it be worthwhile the time and effort to support something that inferior? It's no point, and would be a major step backwards...

Quote:

but the boards are avaiable. Isn't availability one of the major considerations (when deciding what to port to)?

Current MorphOS HW has far better availability than any Acube motherboard, in fact, MorphOS has probably never had a better HW availability situation than today. There are G4 Macs everywhere, they are mainstream, and you can easily go down town today and get one locally (at least if you don't live in some outskirt village), which is far better than ordering some obscure motherboard from the other side of the planet by some hobbyist Amiga reseller that runs his company from his basement. When Powermac support gets introduced, you will be able to buy a *complete system* for the kind of money you would spend on *shipment alone* from "Amikit"...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.04.10 - 06:22
  • ASiegel
    @ Jim

Quote:

Also, after all this discussion on the new Acube MB, why not port MorphOS to Acube boards? The Applied Micro processors they're using are a little underpowered, but the boards are avaiable. Isn't availability one of the major considerations (when deciding what to port to)?

In terms of availability (of PowerPC hardware platforms), nothing comes even close to Macs right now so this is what is being focused on.

If somebody is not interested to buy second-hand hardware for whatever reason and does not mind a low-performance processor, that person can still buy brand new EFIKA 5200 mainboards and / or EFIKA-based kits from resellers such as Directron (USA) or Vesalia (Germany). This entry-level platform has been consistently available to MorphOS enthusiasts for years now.
  • »21.04.10 - 07:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > PowerPC 970FX! 64bit, dual core, could easily do 1.8GHz.

1. Dual-core would mean 970MP, not 970FX.
    2. See takemehomegrandma's reference to A-Eon's hint regarding the CPU's commonness. 970MP is freely available as a new part and was used in Macs (vs. "the X1000 processor currently has very limited availability, and you've probably never seen one in the wild").
    3. As the board picture shows, the CPU must be a SoC. The 970MP is not a SoC but would need the CPC945 northbridge.

> what is it Andreas?

I think you know by now what I think it is. We discussed it in this very thread :-)
    In case you forgot already: http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208808517

> after all this discussion on the new Acube MB, why not port MorphOS to Acube boards?
    > The Applied Micro processors they're using are a little underpowered, but the boards
    > are avaiable.

The Sam460ex is not available by now. Or do you mean the 'Canyonlands' reference board? Porting to available Sam440ep(-flex) wouldn't be worth the hassle in my opinion, at least unless ACube pay the MorphOS team to do it (like Genesi payed them for porting to the Efika 5200B). But ACube already declined to pay them for porting.
  • »21.04.10 - 09:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > There are G4 Macs everywhere, they are mainstream, and you can easily go
    > down town today and get one locally (at least if you don't live in some outskirt village)

I wouldn't call my home city with a population of 240,000 a village, but still I wouldn't know where to easily get a G4 Mac locally today.
  • »21.04.10 - 09:49
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    feanor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    ...970MP is freely available...

Freely available? I want a few dozen! Or more! :D
    (yes, I know you didn't mean it like that, but the thought of IBM giving away truckloads of 970MP cpus was terribly amusing -at least to me :)
  • »21.04.10 - 14:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

feanor wrote:

the thought of IBM giving away truckloads of 970MP cpus was terribly amusing

You PowerPC junkie...
  • »21.04.10 - 15:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Freely available? I want a few dozen! Or more! :D

Hehe, just meant that you don't have to sign NDAs as with the PA6T apparently. Money will do fine :-)
  • »21.04.10 - 17:28
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    I wouldn't call my home city with a population of 240,000 a village, but still I wouldn't know where to easily get a G4 Mac locally today.

Yes that bothers me too. I put together the Powermac I'm typing this message on at a really low cost, but I had to go to Ebay for most of the parts. The closest G4 Mac I could find (for sale) was in nearby State.

I will allow that Acube boards are over priced, but they're available and the Efika has been discontinued (and has severe memory limitations).

If the X1000 is PA Semi based then Aeon has chosen a processor that is difficult to obtain and one that has no future (as Apple has NOT committed to further development of this chip, only to supporting the current processor).

It would be nice to be able to run MorphOS on NEW equipment.
  • »21.04.10 - 18:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    It would be nice to be able to run MorphOS on NEW equipment.

Well, sure. But I don't get this "obsession" with "new". As long as it works well, everything's fine IMHO. My Mac mini is 2nd hand. But it works flawlessly, is fast enough and was pretty cheap - so what?
    On the long run there may be need for more powerful hardware. But if this more powerful hardware will be new or 2nd hand is IMHO only a problem of 2nd order.
    Supply must be relative easy and affordable. Currently the Mac G4 hardware fits well.

OTOH I would applause to some new and remotely competetive hardware - but I fail to fullfill Acube or A-eon doing this. Both products (Sam and this x1000) are/wil be way to expensive. Genesi/bplan were close, but eventually they also dropped the ppc towel.
    The MPC 8610 was (still is!) interesting, but unfortunately it doesn't get fresher. I think the next interesting candidate in ppc land may be the ibm 476 (or some QorIQ). For real low end stuff there is plenty to chose (e.g. the 5123), too. But low end is only attractive if you go for real high volume productions and I fail to see this done by someone.
    Still a sad thing, that the Efika 8610 hasn't made it?- but crying for lost chances are rather vain tears.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »21.04.10 - 19:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Yes that bothers me too.

It doesn't bother me, I'm fine with using eBay and such. It's just that I found takemehomegrandma's statement way off. But then, I don't know how the situation is in Sweden's cities. Maybe G4 Macs can be picked off the pavements there ;-)
  • »21.04.10 - 20:30
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Picked off the pavement like IBM processors?

What about Titan, Andreas? I can't get technical information out of Applied Micro. They're more tight lipped than IBM.

It's frustrating, after working with the 8640 (and finding the design requirements to be far too complex) and after being underwhelmed by the 8610, it would be nice to have something new to work with. There are some new PPC processors that are promising (sorry guys, PPCs not dead yet), but right now what currently in production is too slow and overpriced.

And I DO think Mac G4 support is brilliant. With what I've saved putting together a relatively fast Powermac, spending 150 Euros on an OS isn't nearly as painful (as it was when my only option was overpriced used Genesi/bplan hardware).

What about the Fixstars hardware you've mentioned? I don't consider $1200 to be too far out of line. The last 68K systems the company I worked for in the 80s and 90s was about that expensive. However, I don't see it listed on Fixstars' website anymore.
  • »21.04.10 - 23:37