• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > So what do you think they might do?

Probably announce those two "TBA FY2010" products in 2011, of which there's still seven eights left. If they do, they'll only be one year behind their own roadmap which they reissued in ...2011 ;-)

Btw, I found some recent statements from Applied Micro principals:

------------------------------
    Paramesh Gopi - Applied Micro Circuits Corporation - President and CEO
    [...] Year to date, Applied Micro has introduced 7 new 40-nanometer TSMC products, of which 4 are processors.
    [...]
    Robert Gargus - Applied Micro Circuits Corporation - SVP and CFO
    [...] we had introduced 7 new products this year through the first 9 months. Four of those were in the Processor family, and all of them were 40-nanometer. And all of them were in TSMC.

------------------------------
    http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/711065/000119312511021986/dex992.htm (transcript of Applied Micro's third quarter 2011 earnings conference call in late January 2011)

Still, I can only count two: APM86190 and APM86290.

> What are those two unaccounted for products likely to feature?

For that to know I'd have to be a prophet ;-) But let's assume that as usual the height level indicates performance. That would mean their next 40 nm processor should be really low end, undercutting PPC440 performance level, and the one shortly after should be slightly faster than Mamba.
    Furthermore, PacketPro was originally announced to sport USB 3.0 as well as 10GbE. So far, Mamba only offers USB 2.0 and 1GbE.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&post_id=80171#80171

> So far their products have only advanced a short
    > distance from their licensed IBM origins.

They advanced IBM's PPC440 core by adding an FPU and later L2 cache, yes. With IBM's PPC464, PPC464FP and PPC465 cores I'm not aware of any advancements done by Applied Micro at all.

> Do they have the engineers needed to move forward with more
    > advanced technologies? [...] can they move to 64 bit processors,
    > multi-cored processors(>2), processor that run >2Ghz?

I really don't know. But as I said, their roadmap from September 2010 showed 64-bit, multicore (which wouldn't necessarily have to mean "more than 2") and 2.5 GHz. But there was no timeframe attached.

> By the time Mamba is introduced, the 5010 and 5020 will be available.

According to Applied Micro, production quantities of Mamba are expected in Q2/2011. You told me some weeks ago that Freescale anticipated Q2/2011 for P5010 production as well (which was originally set at H2/2011). So let's see who'll be first :-)
  • »15.02.11 - 12:49