• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > They can't leave Titan/Gemini off the roadmap. It had been announced years ago.
    > The product was finally being tested by their partners.

But it never reached a real production state, only a testing/sampling state. I think it would be wiser to be honest about the ditching of Titan/Gemini and not present it in a way which implies it is or was a real product like their other products of present and past.

> Everyone has a general sense that its discontinuation relates to Apple's
    > purchase of Intrinsity

You could as well call it "the current buzz" about the killing of Titan/Gemini ;-) Actually, there are many attempts out there to explain it, most of them not even mentioning Apple or Intrinsity. Just two examples that were discussed in this very thread:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&post_id=77005#77005
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&post_id=77141#77141

> and the subsequent payment to APM.

That's something I didn't see discussed anywhere except here on MorphZone, after I dug that information up. Do you have some links to other discussions or reportings of that?

> If Titan truly fits into the general evolution of APM products, they'd want to acknowledge it.

It seems in this regard Applied Micro is different from other companies. Most companies would attempt to smudge all traces to failed products of theirs ;-)

> Whether through Titan or around it their eventual path to 40nm and
    > smaller leads to something called Viper.

Yes, if you only regard the roadmap's rightmost product then everthing that is located left from it doesn't matter. But that's not what I did when I talked about that roadmap's mention of Titan/Gemini.

> At the point the document was created they had no idea how they were going to proceed

I think you're jumping to conclusions here. Or did your contacts at Applied Micro tell you that?

> but they knew what they were likely to end up at. Since its still valid
    > (thanks to its vague nature) why change it?

Because Titan/Gemini never became a real product. As I said, I never objected to the mention of "Viper" but to the mention of Gemini.

> it does seem to indicate that the APM product line has been evolutionary.

I doubt that it would be any less evolutionary without Titan/Gemini. Just compare the product line based on the cores used:

With Titan: PPC440 -> PPC464 -> Titan -> PPC464FP -> PPC465 (*)
    Without Titan: PPC440 -> PPC464 -> PPC464FP -> PPC465

* Spot the one that stands out ;-)
  • »12.02.11 - 22:56