• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    New hardware to run MorphOS on is not that important, unless it is faster, and has better features than the currently supported G4 machines, and it can be bought for about half the cost of the SAM460ex.

I don't believe that ANY hardware to run MorphOS on is worth a purchase price beyond $500 to $600, until MorphOS has matured a bit further and there is 3 to 4 times more good, productive software that runs natively on MorphOS. But that is just my opinion (which I think is shared by some users and maybe some of the MorphOS Dev. Team members). I just can't see that too many people would be willing to spend more than $500 to $600 for any computer system if it can only be used to run MorphOS. Maybe it would make sense for MorphOS users that like Linux PPC as their main system and they would be willing to spend more than $500 to $600 for a combined MorphOS/Linux system.

Optimizing MorphOS to run better and faster on the currently supported hardware, adding more features to MorphOS and completing the work already started to port MorphOS to some G4 PowerBooks, G5 PowerMacs and G5 iMacs, until there is a cost effective, better alternative, are great decisions that the MorphOS Development Team have made, and several of the best reasons to choose MorphOS as the best Amiga compatible OS at this time and for the foreseeable near term future. What we need more than any newer, or faster hardware right now is more and better software (hence the thread about donating hardware to new MorphOS developers).

Sorry to be repeating myself, as I am sure I have written these opinions before.

Edit: I am not sure about the shared VRAM vs dedicated VRAM being used on the SAM460ex that can be pre-ordered from AmigaKit, or Vesalia.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2011/1/30 10:32 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »30.01.11 - 18:26