• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > A very interesting document.

Indeed. Thanks again for pointing me to it.

> Why do you think page 14 has these details?

Let me clarify first how I read that roadmap chart: the abscissa has three columns, with the left one representing the past (PowerQUICC and e600), the middle one the present (QorIQ P) and the right one the future (QorIQ T). The ordinate has the performance level as well as wattage going from low to high with products at corresponding performance/wattage level put at the same height.

> The QorIQ – P5 P5020 and P5010 listed as
    > "Increase FP Perf
    > Next Gen process
    > Security plus
    > AltiVec"
    >
    > And the QorIQ – P4 including the P4080 and P4040 listed as
    > "Next Gen Core
    > Increase FP Perf
    > Security plus
    > AltiVec"

As I read it, those details refer to QorIQ T5 and T4, not to P5 and P4. As I said before, T series is supposed to switch to a 28 nm process node (from the P series's 45 nm) and to have AltiVec. And apparently, Freescale also intends to increase the floating point performance in T series compared to P series.

> plus
    > "e600 +Soc"

That's in the "past" column according to my reading, put slightly below QorIQ P4/T4 in performance and wattage.

> The P5 were in initially supposed to not implement AltiVec.

Yes, and the roadmap chart only says that QorIQ T2 to T5 (i.e. 28 nm e5500 and e500mc cores) will get AltiVec.

> The P4s do not currently feature AltiVec and are e500mc based.

Correct.

> It looks like Freescale intends to move the P4 to an e600 core

That's absolutely not what I read from that chart. It's rather that Freescale is painting the QorIQ P4 (and P5) chips as replacements for the MPC86xx ("e600 + Soc") chips. I had addressed this observation in the past already:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&post_id=76991#76991

> its hard to tell from this document which processors will feature AltiVec.

Yes, to my mind it's not clear yet whether future QorIQ P2 to P5 (i.e. 45 nm e5500 and e500mc cores) chips, to be released before first QorIQ T chips, are supposed to get AltiVec or not.
  • »29.01.11 - 20:29