• MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

So am I right in concluding that your stance regarding the Wii's general suitability for a MorphOS port in fact did *not* change? (Back then you told to the effect of "suitable, but with limitations", i.e. not "very" suitable, but still).

Sure, what I said back then is still valid; among current-gen consoles the Wii is still the most likely candidate for MorphOS, if MorphOS were to be ported to a console, ie there are no plans to do so, and even if there were it would be for specially interested people only.

It's worth noting some of the limitations I listed back then have changed though:
    Quote:

There are some limitations though that makes it a less-than-optimal choice, like f.ex. resolution (though it might be able to tweak it beyond 480p/576i no-one has thus far figured out how), USB (apparently limited to 1.1 even though it's listed as 2.0 by Nintendo (this could just be a setup issue though, so could still be resolved)) and storage; 2GB SD (4GB with some rare cards) and only 512MB builtin NAND...

Indeed USB 2.0 and SDHC was simply a matter of tweaking the right registers (and there are even official Nintendo IOSes now that support it), which makes it easy to get all the storage you need onto the Wii. The remaining limitations (for which there are likely to be no solution) are the 88MBs of RAM and the 480p/576i resolution...

- CISC
  • »23.10.10 - 16:36