MorphOS Development
  • Just looking around
    scarab
    Greetings all,

I've recently discovered MorphOS and on my way of making it my primary OS at home (going to purchase a license this weekend).

I have been looking for a hobby OS to sink my teeth into, and MorphOS certainly ticks the right boxes! I do some development at work and home and have been looking for a new project to get into. Can anyone suggest a good set of documentation/website/X where I can start to learn the "guts" of the OS? I've read some documentation in the library and a few other places as a start.

As MorphOS is closed source I understand that working on anything low level is not allowed but I would be interested in hearing from a MorphOS developer what it would take to get involved. Is there a bug tracker where a MorphOS dev-acolyte could start working from? :)

Cheers!
  • »24.03.10 - 10:42
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @scarab

welcome! Take a look at old AmigaOS docs (Rom Kernel Manuals).

You should also check some sources (some code can be found at Aminet)

It's possible to develop low level drivers for soundcards, ethernet, hd controllers... nobody is stopping you and there's example sourcecode.

If you have the required knowledge, skills, motivation and are interested in developing gfx card drivers you should contact the MorphOS Team
  • »24.03.10 - 10:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Don't forget the MorphOS Team mailing list: Add yourself writing an empty message to "subscribe@ml.morphos-team.net". Did I got it right?
  • »24.03.10 - 11:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    osco
    Welcome! I haven't looked back! MorphOS will keep you full. Most here have a backround in Amiga and Aminet is a must look to.I rarely go to the Mac side of my Dual Boot System. Keep posting as most are kind to ignorance, myself as an example
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »24.03.10 - 13:01
  • Just looking around
    scarab
    Glad to hear that ignorance is tolerated! :) To be honest, my experience with Amiga was limited to my buddy giving me keyboard time on his 500 way back when. I could never afford one and when I could, I was tinkering with the innards of Unix and Linux.

I've started looking around on Aminet - definitely a wealth of info accumulated there!
  • »24.03.10 - 13:07