• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Wow, Thank you very much :)
    I just needed to copy the subdirs from this archive and now its working.
    Its even faster than I thought. Ok, its not fast, but reading all the feedback about how unusable it was I thought it would hardly move.
    Bochs starts and boots up Windoz95 in about 35 seconds.

Offcourse, making it run makes me ask a lot more of questions:)
    - Is it always limited to 640x480-16 colours, or is it possible to access SVGA modes? I dont have the needed Win95 disk it asks for to install the SVGA drivers it asks for, so I cant test it now.
    - Win95 doesnt always work so well with usb. But it I manage to install eg Win2000, would USB be supported?
    - Do you know if the ethernet interface work, and how do I set it up?
    - CDROM, how to make it work.
    I can enable it with the line
    ata0-slave: type=cdrom, path=ide.device, status=inserted
    But it will default to use unit 0, and I dont know how to make it use unit 1. Anything I've tried writing so far gives errors.
    eg. ide.device:1 interpretes as ide.device:1 unit 0
    ide.device unit=1 interprets as ide.deviceunit=1 unit 0

Also I noticed that when running bochs and enabling the mouse will stop the GUI menus to work. Even if I press Ctrl-Esc to release the mouse, I cant access the GUI-menu.

Anothet note, I now managed to get the 2.3.6 version to run. Just by copying the 2.3.6 executable and the newer bios files into the working bochs setup. I just needed to remove the bios adressing to make it run. The GUI is better, you can see HDD activity and CAPS lock, NUM Lock status. But sadly it runs terrible, about half the speed of the 2.1.1.

About the upload to ftp.morphos.de
    For legal reasons, it may be better to include an other image file with it, eg. some linux image or ReactOS or even Aros if it can run on bochs.
  • »02.07.10 - 13:35