• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > X64, yeah I don't like it either. I've NEVER really cared for Intel.

x64 (aka AMD64) is being implemented by AMD as well.

> I just sent a lengthy dress down on the fact that I blame this at least in part on IBM, to a
    > Raptor Engineering tech in my statement as to why I was pulling my support for Talos
    > (basically, TOO f'ing expensive).

This takes the same line:

"Raptor has also faced problems getting support from some members of the OpenPOWER Foundation. It wasn’t, for example, invited to the OpenPOWER Summit in Europe a short while back. As that summit focused on HPC and new university wins it would have been ideal as a funding push. One of the reasons for that is the lack of awareness inside IBM of the project. Last week Enterprise Times asked a number of people inside IBM about this project and drew a complete blank. That is bad news for IBM and for Raptor. IBM has tried to keep the OpenPOWER Foundation at arms length. This is to stop it being seen as an IBM project. For companies like Raptor who are doing something different this is where it needs to do more."
    https://www.enterprisetimes.co.uk/2016/12/15/crowdsourcing-power8-motherboard/

Thanks, that post was enlightening.
    WTF were they thinking?
    We know from past inquiries (about the Cell BE) that IBM likes to qualify all uses of their products and prefers to work in partnership with companies that use IBM components.
    I think they tend to think that products using their silicon represent IBM as well as the company designing and selling the products.
    Stranger still is that if they had worked with IBM they might have received some technical advice and assistance.
    After all, IBM wants outside parties involved in Power 8 and 9.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »18.12.16 - 12:49