• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Andreas may have recently been harping on Bigfoot's progress with the Java JIT project

I just linked to the Leopard WebKit author who has been harping on Bigfoot's progress with the JavaScript JIT project ;-)

> I'm sure there are other developers with their own current projects.
    > MOST of them, no doubt PPC oriented.

This I doubt. I'm sure most work done on MorphOS is not oriented to any ISA but written in portable, endian-agnostic C code, thus easily compilable for whatever ISA (including x64).

> Geit and whoever else is working on the XS64 fork

Geit is a high-level (application-level) coder so I doubt he is working on the transition to x64. As far as I know the backgrounds of the MorphOS team members, only laire (still active?), bigfoot and piru have the necessary skills to pull off the ISA transition.

> I have some embedded commercial applications that I wouldn't mind doing with
    > the core of the OS - so how much do you want for it? As if...

I believe the Quark kernel is supposed to be re-used for MorphOS on x64, at least the portable code parts.

> You don't work for decades to produce something just to ash can it.

The vast majority of the code that comprises MorphOS should be easily recompilable for any ISA, so even if there were no further PPC versions of MorphOS as soon as an x64 version arrives, the MorphOS team wouldn't have to "ash can" the majority of the code written so far.

> The reality is that the OS is the property of our developers.

The reality is that each individual MorphOS component is the property of its individual developer, as could be seen by tokai's unfortunate departure.
  • »15.12.16 - 01:10