• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    [
    The X64 fork will be a great addition, but I wouldn't want to see our current OS slighted in order to further development of the X64 variant.

Reality check please: X64 MorphOS will not be an addition, but a replacement. It's silly to waste any more resources on a dead ISA.
    Really. If MorphOS would have some significant resources (manpower, money) I'd be more than happy if MorphOS would also continue PPC, but unfortunately these resources just aren't there.
    Priority #1 must be at least to ensure a future. And building a future on a dead and virtually abandoned ISA is - hhhmm let me phrase it this way - not the ultimatively best choice.

Zylesea: I appreciate your input, but I'm laying down some cash for an X5000 next year. I intend to keep that around for the rest of my life, so improvements in the OS I'd prefer to use on it will be most gratefully accepted.
    And, the development team is still working on improving our current OS. So, regardless of what you think, the PPC version of MorphOS isn't going away any time soon.
    Right now Mark's starting to bust his ass working on the video drivers for the cards above the R500 series. I just exchanged a message with him today, and he mentioned playing around with an R600 card. So, while Andreas may have recently been harping on Bigfoot's progress with the Java JIT project, I can assure you Mark's damned busy.
    Jacek, just posted what he's doing. And I f'ing really like it.
    Further, I'm sure there are other developers with their own current projects.
    MOST of them, no doubt PPC oriented.
    Our user base is already bleeding as some users move to OS4, after all, that OS' development is finally progressing a little faster. OpenGL ES, Radeon HD video card drivers, software development promoted by A-eon...
    And what are some of us suggesting?
    That we sit still, throw all our effort into an X64 fork that will no doubt take years to realize, and just let the current OS stagnate?

THAT is just stupid!
    Does Microsoft stop updating its current OS while its prepares its successor?

When Geit and whoever else is working on the X64 fork show us some progress, well even then, I'm still not going to be willing to throw away the current OS.
    I look forward to the X64 fork, but I'm keeping my PPCs.
    And I doubt the development team is willing to just shut down the PPC fork either (and, btw guys, if you are, I have some embedded commercial applications that I wouldn't mind doing with the core of the OS - so how much do you want for it? As if...).
    You don't work for decades to produce something just to ash can it.

Reality check?
    The reality is that the OS is the property of our developers.
    THEY, not US, say where its going and what is going to happen, AND so far I have NOT heard an announcement that the X64 fork meant the death of the original OS.
    OBVIOUSLY, when MorphOS NG is ready for release, focus will shift to supporting hardware that has more of a future than our current PPC systems.
    BUT, the history of this OS, what the developers have accomplished, f*ck...the personal character and the abilities of each one of these guys?
    If NOTHING further became of this OS, what has been produced so far, the persistence of the development team, and their support...I find it humbling.

So, whatever the hell happens, I'll keep my X5000, update it with whatever updates come, and frankly I will be quite satisfied with it.

And THAT is my reality.

BTW - Frank, Mark, Fab, Jacek, Harry, Geit, Andre and the others I haven't had direct contact with...uh...THANKS.

[ Edited by Jim 15.12.2016 - 18:23 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.12.16 - 00:19