• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:

I am now going to share my experience with Windows and how it parallels with MorphOS. Windows is very slow Operating System. Every necessary feature that Microsoft adds to Windows, they add 14 other unnecessary features. I spend about two weeks figuring out how to undo the new unnecessary and very slow bloatware features. Undoing things such as Start Screen, Metro Apps, and the setting Metro Apps as the default Apps is also annoying, Edge Swipes, Hot Corners, Charms Bar, ... in addition to setting my recommended preference of "Use Windows For Best Performance" setting, and the High Contrast Setting ... I do not like needing to customize it just to make it usable.

Morphos is both slightly similar and slightly different. While every feature is turned ON by default with Windows, every feature is turned OFF by default with MorphOS! Why? Because Amiga Users have no use for these features?! Will adding such features risk decreasing MorphOS performance? So, now I have to customize MorphOS which involves complicated procedures similar to the complicated procedure of purging Metro Apps from Windows.

As you said, both include some work, and I think that two weeks of undoing is worse than going through the settings and enabling what you want... if they are enabled by default they also have cluttered all kinds of data over the HD which is harder to clean. But aren't everyone going through all the settings in the new operating systems anyway? At least I do that with Windows, OSX, and MorphOS every time I install a new system. And I don't think MorphOS (or any other marginal system) is that appealing to that incompetent people who don't like to take a look at the settings at all...

Amiga users also have used to start to tune their systems from really plain starting points. We've even seen that some complain that MorphOS is too modern for their taste (with the default settings). In any case, it's impossible to make the default settings which everyone would be happy, and that's why everyone should take a look at prefs, it's not that hard.

That said, in my own opinion MorphOS could be little more configured by default too :)

Quote:

I do not like the solution of moving files to Ram Disk (What is a RAM Disk?)

Why would you _need_ to move files to Ram Disk? It's there only to offer more flexibility for the people who think it's handy for temporary files. Many Amiga users love and are grown to it, but using it isn't required, you may as well use HD for anything too although it's slower and you have to clean it manually.

Quote:

Is there a knowledge base included with MorphOS? You will need one. Also, you simply must write a Knowledge Base article perhaps in the MorphOS Wiki also, offering solutions for the Trash Icon.

Core MorphOS developers are fully employed with the developing, and so far nobody else has volunteered to write the proper documentation for the recent versions. The older Pegasos Books are pretty nice for older versions.

In any case, you should have seen the MorphOS Library wiki here, it is the best we have currently, and I think it's a good idea to extend it for the documentation. There's even an explanation of that SFS's .recycled directory: http://library.morph.zone/Tips_and_Tricks#.recycled_Directory

Quote:

MorphDelf wrote:
    The dir itself is not visible in Ambient just like that. Even with All Files turned on. I can enter the .recycled dir with / in my Ambient window, but .recycled isnt showing even when All Files is checked. However, after have typed .recycled the dir stays on the top of the Ambient window.

Is there a SFS setting somewhere? Because I dont see it in SFS prefs?

You can select if there is a .recycled directory on the partition, or if it's visible or not, when formatting the partition. I don't remember now if it can be changed later from any setting....

Quote:

Core MorphOS developers are fully employed with the developing, and so far nobody else has volunteered to write the proper documentation for the recent versions. The older Pegasos Books are pretty nice for older versions.

I would be happy to nominate myself for writing, but it would risk errors because I know few things about MorphOS. My attempting to write articles would involve risk pestering people on these forums to read and verify if information is accurate. ;-)

Quote:

if they are enabled by default they also have cluttered all kinds of data over the HD which is harder to clean.

Is this true with MorphOS? How severe is the impact on enabling by default with MorphOS?
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »31.07.15 - 03:36
    Profile Visit Website