About to try MorphOS :)
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Hey, no problem man! I understand the vigor and recklesness of youth :-) BUT I hope that energy will be backed up with devoting some time and skills to create some great programs for MorphOS ;-)

In other news: I installed SimpleMail 0.35 for 68K CPU as it was suggested (thanks! again, it was not obvious, OS should detect that you are about to run an OS4 program and warn you that there are better alternatives or at least tell you what are you doing (of course, with ability to say "Don't warn me ever again" for experienced users) -- something like OSX does when you launc PPC program and don't have Rosetta or something like that) and it works flaweslly EXCEPT... There is always EXCEPT dammit. If I try to send email to a Hotmail account it shows error message "RCPT Failed". I don't know why it does not like Hotmail (I have an ancient account there, back from 1996 before Microsoft acquired Hotmail which I sometimes use for testing). Otherwise I think it works although I only tried to send email to 2 MobileMe accounts and that consistently worked.

Of course, then I also discovered that OWB does not work well with Hotmail but I don't care that much. Just reporting...
  • »16.01.10 - 23:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Also, don't bother with my profile. If you want to judge me, let it be on what I write here, not what I used to be or I am in another life ;-)
  • »16.01.10 - 23:35
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

Of course, then I also discovered that OWB does not work well with Hotmail but I don't care that much.

I think it might also fail with Safari (depending on version). At least i read bugreports about it in WebKit. I'll check anyway.
  • »16.01.10 - 23:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    The latest Safari works surprisingly well with Hotmail. OWB cannot even show a message or do anything javascript related (buttons don't work, etc...). Again, not a big deal, probably the newer version of WebKit has better behavior.
  • »17.01.10 - 00:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    osco
    Bull in a china shop :) .
    Its been a hectic few months working with MorphOS.
    My efforts miiror yours and I thank the patience of all.
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »17.01.10 - 00:35
  • Just looking around
    gooseberry
    [ Edited by gooseberry 24.05.2017 - 09:46 ]
  • »17.01.10 - 00:46
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @mihailod

I'm running a few days old WebKit nightly by the way (in my OWB build).

The thing is hotmail doesn't support many browsers, and forcing OWB user-agent to firefox or safari helps with these buttons, which at least act when clicked.

Unfortunately, there's still an issue when clicking a mail or performing most actions: hotmail complains it can't connect to windows live messenger. So I guess it might be some other cookie issue. Not sure yet. :)

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/1/17 0:51 ]
  • »17.01.10 - 00:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Well, don't bother with Hotmail. Highly unlikely someone using MorphOS might use it. It's becoming more and more heavily tied with Microsoft technology anyways.

I fear a similar issue might be with MobileMe web mail -- again not very likely to be used by someone which is using MorphOS and it's also not free (well, for me it is but...).

What is bothering me now is that my SimpleMail cannot send emails to some other domains as well using IMAP4. For example, I tried emailing SimpleMail developer [mail@sebastianbauer.info] to suggest something and I got the same RCPT failed message. I don't know why is that happening. Could it be a MobileMe issue. But IMAP is an open and very well known protocol... It still sends emails to my MobileMe accounts so I am puzzled.
  • »17.01.10 - 01:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I installed SimpleMail 0.35 for 68K CPU as it was suggested

Actually, Korni, Golem, jPV and Henes suggested to install the MorphOS native version, as would be logical for use on MorphOS. Not sure why Fab recommended the m68k version.

> OS should detect that you are about to run an OS4 program and
    > warn you that there are better alternatives

How should the OS know about alternatives?

> or at least tell you what are you doing

Isn't that what you told it does? ("it says "OS4 Emulator Not Installed". It gives me the link.")
  • »17.01.10 - 16:53
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @Andreas_Wolf

I did because the MorphOS version wasn't available at the time SM 0.35 was released. In any case, my point was to avoid the OS4 version.
  • »17.01.10 - 17:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    > How should the OS know about alternatives?

Well it can't. Make the message say "There *might* be better alternatives". It's more about being preemptive and showing some intelligence to the users rather than surprising them...

> Isn't that what you told it does? ("it says "OS4 Emulator Not Installed". It gives me the link.")

Yes, fair enough. That was obvoius, I agree.

> I did because the MorphOS version wasn't available at the time SM 0.35
    > was released. In any case, my point was to avoid the OS4 version.

OK. So one more thing to try...
  • »17.01.10 - 17:59
    Crumb
    @mihailod

try enabling experimental cookies on OWB to see if it helps. With gmail it helps a lot.
  • »17.01.10 - 18:45
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    @mihailod

SimpleMail works with gmail and SSL correctly :-)
  • »17.01.10 - 18:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Yeah, I have tried experimental cookies, that was already suggested to me...
  • »17.01.10 - 19:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    SimpleMail 0.35 does not exist for MorphOS. The latest one is 0.33 and that's the one I originally tried.

http://simplemail.sourceforge.net/index.php?body=downloads

I reinstalled 0.33 again and have the same problem (RCPT failed for several non .me domains). At this point I am really suspecting on some weird MobileMe issue since it seems that I am the only one experiencing this weirdness.

Thanks for everyone who tried to help with this one. I will try to experiment more by myself with this. I will also try to revisit YAM once again.
  • »17.01.10 - 20:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Henes provided this link: Simplemail-0.35-morphos.lha a number of posts back.
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »17.01.10 - 20:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    OK, so then I did use SimpleMail for MorphOS 0.35 without realizing it (the About box does not say clearly what architecture you are running; later I found the official page without 0.35 enlisted so I thought I was running the 68K version...).

In any case, I don't have luck with email.

SimpleMail cannot send email to all domains using IMAP.
    Yam always tries to download all 4000 messages on each startup (POP + don't delete; IMAP is not supported).

Support for IMAP in YAM was announced for 2.6, I saw it on their site.

I guess the next step is to write directly to SimpleMail developers with my problem and to wait for YAM 2.6. In the meantime maybe I can try to see if SimpleMail works somehow in POP mode for me...

Since OWB also does not work with MobileMe, I cannot use MorphOS for any emailing right now :-(
  • »18.01.10 - 00:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I did use SimpleMail for MorphOS 0.35 without realizing it (the About box does not
    > say clearly what architecture you are running; later I found the official page without 0.35
    > enlisted so I thought I was running the 68K version...).

MorphOS tells which type of program it is when you leave the mouse pointer over the program's icon.
  • »18.01.10 - 03:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    > MorphOS tells which type of program it is
    > when you leave the mouse pointer over the program's icon.

Gotcha!

I only Tried Right-Click -> Information (only says "Tool") and SimpleMail -> Project -> About.

Er... khm... maybe this should be more visible? 0:)
  • »18.01.10 - 04:39
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    @mihailod

I only Tried Right-Click -> Information (only says "Tool") and SimpleMail -> Project -> About.

After you click RMB on an icon (or name in text lister mode) to open a context menu, the type of file is shown as a title of this menu. For executable files, target CPU and OS are displayed.

Er... khm... maybe this should be more visible?

There is no point for this. 68k emulation is seamlessly integrated into the system, and user not interested in technical details simply does not care if she runs 68k or PPC binary. For those interested in this detail, RMB comes with help :-).

[ Edited by Krashan on 2010/1/18 6:57 ]
  • »18.01.10 - 06:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    > After you click RMB on an icon (or name in text lister mode) to open a context menu,
    > the type of file is shown as a title of this menu.

Ha! Yep I see it now. Never occured to me that it will be there but I see your point. It's visible enough (it's even boldface but I guess I was blind!). I was thinking more for the completness sake to have all information you can gather grouped all together in the Information window, but I guess it's not that important in this case -- the decision is yours :-)
  • »18.01.10 - 07:10
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Quote:

mihailod wrote:
    Yam always tries to download all 4000 messages on each startup (POP + don't delete; IMAP is not supported).

Configuration problem?
    Using YAM, "POP + don't delete" never reloads already loaded email here (even if they were deleted from the local inbox)... fortunately! Otherwise, it would be a huge issue!

Or maybe your pop server is broken?

[ Edited by Jeckel on 2010/1/18 13:06 ]
  • »18.01.10 - 12:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Yes, at this point I am also seriously suspecting something with MobileMe POP / IMAP implementation since I only use Apple clients (OS X Mail, iPhones mail, iPod touch mail) and they all use "automagical" MobileMe setup with and probably bypass this more conventional IMAP/POP setup.

However, if that is the case, more clients would have issues and it would be a huge issue for Apple, don't you think So I am still puzzled and will play more with this (in the meantime i tried SimpleMail last night with POP and still have the same "RCPT failed" issue).

Maybe my best bet is to wait for MobileMe over Web to start working in OWB. I already offered Fab to send request/response logs if possible and if he is interested in debugging it (I know I am an edge case here again and there is probably no any incentive to make MobileMe mail work in OWB any time soon (if, indeed, ever), but sometimes people are just curious why stuff does not work -- if that's the case, I am open for collaboration).
  • »18.01.10 - 22:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Figured out the SimpleMail issue. it was the configuration after all. SMTP auth must be used (at least with MobileMe). Thanks to all who gave various hints and put up with me :-)
  • »19.01.10 - 05:50
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @mihailod

The problem is i can't test it myself, and adding blind debug in WebKit is somewhat painful.
  • »19.01.10 - 14:16
    Profile Visit Website