About to try MorphOS :)
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    @Fab: you can easily open a free dummy MobileMe account and use it for 60 days. Then you create a new one for more 60 days and keep testing if needed, etc:

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/pricing

EDIT: and, Fab, imagine adding to the OWB 1.6.2 (or 1.7) the following line:
    * now with full Apple MobileMe support ;-)

Only if you decided to keep using it more than 60 days, only then you have to pay for additional 12 months.

More SimpleMail reflections:

- I hate brute-forcing problems. And I had to brute-force this basically trying all possible combinations of settings. There was no way to relate "RCPT failed" to not using SMTP auth even after digging on Google

- On top of this, SSL auth still won't work (maybe it simply can't and, yes, I installed AmiSSL) so my "use secure login" (if I remember correctly) checkbox is unchecked which means SimpleMail is sending my password in plaintext over the network... so arguably it's dangerous to use.

-Another thing is, I looked into SimpleMail preferences on disk and it saves password in plaintext in a file -- again a big no-no, it should be at least in some way hashed or encrypted...

[ Edited by mihailod on 2010/1/19 9:00 ]
  • »19.01.10 - 15:55
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

mihailod wrote:

- I hate brute-forcing problems. And I had to brute-force this basically trying all possible combinations of settings. There was no way to relate "RCPT failed" to not using SMTP auth even after digging on Google

You should find needed information about requirements and used procedures for sending and receiving from mail server's support pages. It's irresponsible if they don't provide the needed information.

Quote:

- On top of this, SSL auth still won't work (maybe it simply can't and, yes, I installed AmiSSL) so my "use secure login" (if I remember correctly) checkbox is unchecked which means SimpleMail is sending my password in plaintext over the network... so arguably it's dangerous to use.

Did you install correct version of AmiSSL? As said before, different programs need different versions of it and they're completely separate installations. SimpleMail uses AmiSSL v1 IIRC.
  • »19.01.10 - 16:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @mihailod

Ok, i created a trial account, and could experience the issue. And I just fixed it, too (at least i could read mails and send some, too).

If you want, i'll put some owb test version so that you can try it more extensively.

Now i just hope I won't be charged after trial cancellation. :)
  • »19.01.10 - 18:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    @jPV: there is actually lots of stuff here, I will experiment with different ports etc.: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1625. I hope it's still a configuration issue... I never explicitly claimed SimpleMail had any bugs, I was simply reporting my progress... I hope this might be useful to someone some day...

@Fab: that's wonderful! I hope that the fix you did is a general thing and that it might improve communication with other peculiar sites and that it was not a MobileMe-specific thing.

I would be more than happy to throughly test MobileMe in OWB and report back, I use extensively all MobileMe features (and I do mean *all*). Feel free to send the patched binary via email or to give me the link.

> Now i just hope I won't be charged after trial cancellation. :)

You should not. If you want to be completely sure, just remove your payment information from the dummy account.
  • »20.01.10 - 00:10
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

Again:
    "Note that AmiSSL v3 is not a replacement for AmiSSL v1/v2 nor is AmiSSL v2 a replacement for AmiSSL v1. These three can coexist if you are using programs written for different AmiSSL versions. For example, AWeb 3.5.07 uses AmiSSL v1, IBrowse 2.3 uses AmiSSL v2 and, at the time of this writing, the latest betas of AWeb and IBrowse use AmiSSL v3."
    Extract from http://www.heightanxiety.com/AmiSSL/
  • »20.01.10 - 10:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    @Henes

Thanks for the Simplemail release!
  • »20.01.10 - 11:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Henes, thanks for the clarification. It's also possible that it's a simpler configuration issue with a port or something. I will install all of them and experiment more when I get to it again.

Without perfect IMAP support (SimpleMail claims to have "basic IMAP" supported, need to discover what that actually means) I think in my case (MobileMe server, many clients that need to connect and share everything on one account), the safest bet is to use OWB and the web client now when Fab fixed it.
  • »20.01.10 - 17:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    I just checked and simplemail uses amissl v1. The library file is named amissl.library
    While amissl v3 (used by ibrowse afair) is amisslmaster.library

Again, it's like foo.so.1 versus foo.so.3 on unix... similar names but completly different libraries/projects/apis. Other (all of them?) amiga shared libraries don't work this way and expand on the existing. Always keeping ascending compatibility.
    Yes it's a mess... thank you unix ;-)
  • »20.01.10 - 21:23
    Profile Visit Website