• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Here are first impressions without much editing, just raw feelings and experiences:

0. Surprisingly, it was not obvious to me at all how to burn a bootable ISO disk in OS X. I never burnt an ISO disk before on Mac and made two mistakes here. Right Click -> Burn on OS X just burns a disk with the ISO file on it. Mount and File -> Burn burns the disk with the content but it's not bootable. Only Disk Utility knows how to burn it properly. Maybe I lived under a rock but I am not ashamed to admit that it took me three attempts to do it properly. Most inexperienced users will probably make the same mistake and some of them might not even find the way out. This instruction could have helped users like me if posted on the main site but it's almost like an OS X issue.

OK, MorphOS has booted and it's nice... Amiga on steroids?

1. Keyboard settings need to be testable right in the panel where you are adjusting them (milliseconds are meaningless -- one has to feel it)

2. Progress bar while installing could be better and should tell you estimated remaining time or number of files (right now it just counts to some undefined number). OK, I see now up in the window it says 169GB needed so one can conclude that when counter reaches 169something it's done. No need to go to number of bytes, this is just scaring users, use percentage or minutes.

3. Time and date need to be automatically updated from the internet once the connection is established, why do I need to go to the Clock settings and adjust this manually? I only need to pick the time zone (hmm I guess this actually worked since I only needed to adjust the clock (because of the time zone) and nothing else).

4. Ugh, window redrawing has an ugly flicker. They also don't remember the last position and size.

5. CD spinning is annoying, why is it doing that? I ejected it and tried an app and I am teleported back in the Amiga days: "please insert volume blah into any drive"! So, how can i copy everything on the disk so i am not bothered by this? It should copy everything by default, every major OS does that and also HDD space is plenty these days, we are not on floppies anymore.

6. The slim Apple keyboard does not work. Trying the classic one -- OK it was spectacularly detected ;) and it works.

7. Half an hour passed by so quickly and I am prompted to register. I guess I need to reboot now although everything appears working except the message won't go away. (Wow, shutdown is instant :) ).

I also tried several apps, I guess there is a way to report some findings back to the developers of those apps, will dig around.

I must say that it actually looks pretty polished and I like the atmosphere. I am just trying to make it even better, I hope this won't be taken as nitpicking but as an honest effort to help to improve things.

So, three immediate questions:

A) How do I transfer everything from CD to HDD so I don't have to have the system CD in the drive all the time?

B) I found how to report bugs. Good. Is that the proper way to report other stuff as well? Like things I think they are missing features or just don't work as expected (which can be arguable, I know), for example things I wrote about in this post?

C) Is there a way to look into the MorphOS bug database so I don't file duplicates?
  • »09.01.10 - 04:39