• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I've been discussing Cell processors with the forums moderator for the Natami Project. Gunnar is a fascinating fellow with a background in the development of Cell based supercomputers. Personally I'd still love to see a PC based on the Cell.

So, first for the new year, I hope I'll see a version of MorphOS that runs on the G4 Mac I have with the Radeon 9000 Pro video card I've put in it (maybe I can even afford a 1.8GHz upgrade processor - making it one fast platform for MOS).

Second I hope the team behind the Natami manages to complete the preliminary hardware designs and gets an initial board out to developers (or that Jens at Individual Computing completes the work he's been so quietly pursuing).

Third, I hope that Applied Micro's Titan cored PPCs will continue to be developed (as Freescale's 8610 seems to be the only other modern PPC that is likely to remain available). Further, it would be nice if they were a little more forthcoming with the technical info on those processors.

Fourth, that IBM's announcement (mentioned above) is only a precursor to the introduction of even more powerful Cell based processors (which, in my opinion, would be ideal for a MorphOS/AmigaOs system).

Fifth, and I know this is unlikely, but I love to see Quark supporting more than just basic ABOX functionality. If not QBOX, then why not an SMT capable ABOX? And, yes, I know how difficult that would be.

Sixth, and final wish, that all the divergent directions that Amiga related hardware and OS developments finally garner enough recognition that we draw new people into our market (as a larger user base can only help assure our future viability).

Oh, and I wish Happy New Year to everyone reading these postings.

Take care
    Jim
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »02.01.10 - 03:42