MorphOS price
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    @BalrogSoft

Mate, please wake up. EU has penty of countries now in it, not all have Eur currency, nearly third is so called ex-Eastern Block.

I can give you an example. My wife as a microbiologist got her position in a university recently (after PhD defence) and earns 435 Eur. I know my mates from highschool that unlike me don't live in the Capital of that crappy place, and still earn 350 Eur. Over thirty, MScs in marketing, stuff like that.

BTW checking out EU average salary's statistics (throughout countries) might be a nice mark in projecting the system's licence price.

Quote:

tokai wrote:
    A really fair price for MorphOS (and all the work that went into it) would be *much* higher than mere 150 EUR per copy.

That's more fair indeed, than any lowering the price, as been argued heavilly.

But I suddenly realized the "MorphOS price" discussion is pointless per se.

We should ask ourselves the question: what is MorphOS?
    Is it an hobby OS?
    Or maybe an OS targetted to much wider audience?

In the first case any price below 500 Eur would be fair.
    In second case any price above 50 Eur would be too much.

So the issue here is - to what extent the MorphOS for PPC Mini release should preserve the unique, Amiga spirit (which has only a couple of dozens of followers as we all know and see, I also mean AmigaOS). Or maybe, we should try to start forgetting all this, kind of, and try to pose a sound alternative to Win/Lin/OSX.

To me honestly, second option would be the choice. And the issue is not the price goddamnit. It's all aboud marketing actions.

And you all know it.

BTW @Acil, your signature link is broken.

EDIT* 2 typ0z

[ Edited by DiskDoctor on 2009/10/30 16:24 ]
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »30.10.09 - 14:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

DiskDoctor wrote:

BTW @Acil, your signature link is broken.

EDIT* 2 typ0z

[ Edited by DiskDoctor on 2009/10/30 16:24 ]

Nope it works, I just dont have anything on my server right now.

Oh and I have my Mini listed in the FS/Trade forums. I forgot who it was that asked me if I wanted to sell it. I didnt save the PM.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »30.10.09 - 20:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @DiskDoctor,

MorphOS2.x is clearly a hobby OS, and anyone who thinks differently is just fooling themselves.

That does not mean that it has to remain a hobby OS in the future, which is why I would like to see the user base to grow. Even Linux started out very small in the beginning and I think MorphOS has potential to become more than it is today. Of course AmigaOS1.0 had potential too and look where it failed to gain enough users to sustain itself. Having potential is no guarantee that it will succeed, or survive.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »31.10.09 - 01:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It was said that v2.5 probably won't support other Apple gear beside Mac mini.

There are news to what was said earlier:

"eMac support will likely be added to MorphOS 2.5."

http://obligement.free.fr/articles_traduction/itwolsen_en.php
  • »31.10.09 - 02:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Nice interview, thanks for the link, as I am not as connected to all sources of MorphOS information and rely a lot on what I can find here, or at my original Amiga home on the Internet, Amiga.org.

There was no mention during that interview about the discontent of so many users regarding the price of MOS, as least in connection with trying to gain new users.

Still, the interview was very informative and I wish there were more like it on a regular time schedule.
  • »31.10.09 - 04:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    As I said here, I'll repeat it: let us leave the price speculations and concentrate on marketing.

Well, if there was ANY sound price equivalent, I would surely point this out as a base: http://acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=software&pid=1

Anyway - maybe off-topic but I think any marketing actions should be planned, assigned and controlled via such system as http://trac.edgewall.org/. If someone has spare srv space, please install this ASAP.
  • »31.10.09 - 12:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    It might be better to post any marketing ideas on the other thread for promoting MOS, as this thread is for comments about the price of MOS.
  • »31.10.09 - 12:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    I already posted this very suggestion out there but I also wanted to divert our thoughts off the $$ actually by posting this here. I think the effort should be put elsewhere, hence my post.

I see nothing wrong in it.
  • »31.10.09 - 12:18