• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Just looking at todays exchange rate the MOS team has had about $300,000 US in sales to date. I would say thats one hell of a nice payout.

Steve Solie visited these forums not long ago and started a few threads trying to track down every dollar (my exageration) the MOSTeam had earned from licensing and make it look like the team was making a lot of money. It was shown that when you divide the money between all the developers working on it and then divide that number by the number of hours worked on MOS over the last 10 years since work began on it, you start to realize that the developers are working for practically nothing and could make more money working at McDonalds.

Licenses registered = approx. 650
    License fee = approx. 400 x 111.11 euros + 250 x 150 euros = approx. 81,944 euros, or at the current exchange rate of 1 euro = 1.48373 USD the above estimate would be equal to $121,582.77

I would think that amount of money would be an average, to below average salary for just one developer for only one year, not dozens of developers for almost 10 years. That works out to about $1,100 USD per month to be divided between all of the developers working in their spare time on this project, so even if it was only 11 developers working on it, which I am sure it is many more than that, it would be about $100 USD per month. If you figure they work about 2 to 4 hours a night, for 3 to 4 nights a week, and then they work about 5 hours a day on a weekend and only works half of the weekend days available to them, it would equal at the maximum, $1.56 per hour salary.

Not many people are willing to work for $1.56 per hour during their free time, so I just laugh when anyone brings up claims that the MOSTeam is charging too much money and trying to take advantage of the users.

I am not saying that Acill is doing any of that, but others have tried.

The biggest problem with the price of MOS2.x, is that there are too few users that register and pay the fee. If there were double or quadruple the number of users that were paying the license registration fee, then it would be easier for the MOSTeam to lower the price. It is a catch 22, because many of us (me included) believe that if the price were lowered (my preferred price point is 99 euros), many more users would register and pay the license fee. All this discussion about the price is actually hurting us because by pointing out that many people do not agree with the price, it only encourages some people that are unsure about registering and paying the license fee, to wait, or not pay it at all.

I hope that the majority of the users and the MOSTeam can come to some agreement on the price, so the users can be more supportive to the MOSTeam and start doing some of the things on my thread about what to do next to support the expansion of the user base.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/10/29 16:42 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.10.09 - 23:40