Mac Mini ethernet driver problem ?
  • Just looking around
    nikodr
    Just purchased a mac mini just for the purpose of running morphos.Download speed is 10-40 kbytes,and from rapidshare premium only 150kbytes while with macos 10.4.2 i can get 4x,6x times the speed.Youtube also is slow.Although browsing the web seems to be fine.The problem is with owb.I have a 1.33 gz mac mini with 512mbytes ram,and a ati 9200 32mbyte video ram.The ethernet cable is connected directly to my router which is a sagem fast 2444 isdn router.
    I was planning to purchase morhpos 2.4 but seeing this thing really made me unhappy.Is there a fix ?Is there something else i should post here?Please help me,if it is fixed i will buy a morphos license at once.
    Kind regards
    Nikos Drogosis
  • »19.02.10 - 01:34
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @nikodr

About download speed, if you get 150kB/s with rapidshare, the other 10-40kB figures just mean these sites are slower.
    There are a couple things you can do to improve download speed: in envarc:sys/net/netstack.config, add
    TCP_RECVSPACE=32768
    TCP_SENDSPACE=32768

Regarding youtube, keep in mind there's no official support from adobe and we have to rely on opensource reimplementations that are far from being optimal speed-wise (gnash, swfdec, ...). And even the official adobe plugin is slow for youtube on mac mini anyway. :)

The good news is youtube and dailymotion recently moved to HTML5 video/audio, and it gives much better results. Next OWB version will be able to play them.
  • »19.02.10 - 01:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    nikodr
    Fab thank you for your reply.

Regarding rapidshare,150 is not enough if you consider that as a premium user i can get double or triple the speed with macos.Actually anything i try is usally double the speed or triple with macos.So there must be some problem with morphos.

Kind regards
  • »19.02.10 - 08:41
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Yes, 150 isn't clearly not enough, and I also get more here with "fast" site (i max' at about 600kB/s ). So add the two lines i wrote earlier in netstack.config. Additionally, you could also type in a shell "setenv save OWB_POLLTIME 1" (default is 10ms). I doubt this will help in your case, but with local browsing, this variable is neeed to reach 10MB/s (CURL buffers are too small, so they must be emptied more often).
  • »19.02.10 - 13:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    Try with sputnik, my test with owb and sputnik are both slow =(
  • »19.02.10 - 16:37
    guruman
    Quote:

nikodr wrote:
    Just purchased a mac mini just for the purpose of running morphos.Download speed is 10-40 kbytes,and from rapidshare premium only 150kbytes

Well, from my point of view you should consider yourself lucky :-D The problem a few of us encountered and that originated this thread is that sometimes for us the downloads come to a complete halt (or they continue at something like 100 bytes/s). For this reason I am mainly using the Peg2, while for many things the mini would effectively be a better choice.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »19.02.10 - 17:33
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    gibs
    Amigadave,

I wrote: "The Mac Mini is directly connected" (to the router).

BTW more and more people are reporting that there are no problems under OSX (the macmini at the same place) and problems under MOS...
  • »19.02.10 - 23:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    frotzen
    Just did an ftp test... get wine-1.1.39.tar.bz2 using morphos cli and win7 command prompt in native ftp clients... results were: 1) morphos 16262746 bytes received in 59.2 seconds (274816 bytes/s) -- 268.38 Kbytes/sec 2) win7 16263746 bytes received in 47.14 seconds 345.00Kbytes/sec. -- (353280 bytes/s). Not a big difference. In OWB the transfer maxed at approximately 303 Kbytes/s, but did take a dive to 57 Kbytes/sec. Those were all ftp speed tests... I did an http speedtest in OWB also at the same site with erratic results. The http speedtests seem to drop out and restart often with an average of 45 Kbytes/sec. I'd say with further investigation, it may be that OWB has problems with the http protocol for file transfers. I'm personally going to look for a gui ftp client.

[ Edited by frotzen on 2010/2/19 19:54 ]
  • »20.02.10 - 00:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @guruman
    yes, this is the point, I think the same, I wait the update MorphOS 2.5 :)

[ Edited by Divinity on 2010/2/20 12:07 ]
  • »20.02.10 - 12:06
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

I'd say with further investigation, it may be that OWB has problems with the http protocol for file transfers

That would be somewhat problematic for a *browser* if it couldn't deal with http protocol. :)
    Anyway that's not the issue there. It's using CURL to handle that. If your speed is random it's either the network or the network driver.
  • »20.02.10 - 13:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    amigagr
    @Fab:

i have the same speed problem as others with the macmini so i try the settings you propose in netstack.config.
    i made a backup of the file first and i type in the end of the file the settings: TCP_RECVSPACE=32768 and TCP_SENDSPACE=32768.
    after the reboot, when morphos coming up i get a startup message: need version 0 of bsdsocket.library
    it's not clear from what application it's coming from. the worst is owb is not running any more.
    i reboot a fiew times, the problem was remaining so i restore the original netstack.config back, but with no luck. now, i don't have a network and owb is out of order...
    when i ping to router or the pc or the pegasos i get the same message about bsdsocket...
    A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
    A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.9/4.0
    Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2
    PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.2/Morphos 2.6/DEBIAN 5.0.4/SUSE 11.1
    MacMini/1.5 MorphOS 2.6/OSX 10.5.8

If i am going to have bugs on my system,
    at least let me keep the latest version
  • »20.02.10 - 16:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Getting that message would mean netstack couldn't start, which could be explained if you modified the config file in a bad way (not sure how it deals with malformed config files). But if you really put your original netstack.config back and still get that message, it just doesn't make any sense. So better doublecheck and see if you haven't touched anything else. At worst, just take the original file from ISO.
  • »20.02.10 - 16:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    amigagr
    @Fab:

ok i got it. accidentaly i errase the file netstack in sys:morphos/net ... :roll:
    i restore it from cd. i will try again your settings. wish me luck :-D

-edit-
    it's working now, but the speed is more or less the same. it's a continius up and down from 5 to 40 kb/sec while in osx 10.5.8 with firefox is stable at 650 kb/s
    ( i test it downloading the latest nvidia driver for gforce 9xxx xp version.)

mac mini 1.5ghz, 64mb vga, 1gb ram, 80gb hard disk, wifi, bluetooth, connected direct to a netfaster router.

[ Edited by amigagr on 2010/2/20 20:00 ]
    A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
    Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2

• »20.02.10 - 17:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Ok, then your issue is probably similar to the original issue of this thread, though it's still weird you get a quite higher speed with something like rapidshare. But a low and unstable speed clearly points to some negociation issue at network level, to me.

By the way, which other sites did you test? Because some can also filter on user-agent and limit speed to avoid download managers, for instance.

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/2/20 18:46 ]
  • »20.02.10 - 18:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    amigagr
    more all less all the amiga like sites. the browsing in web it's not too bad.
    and a download example, owb1.6.1.lha speed varies from 512b/s to 14kb/s.
    most of the time is around 2kb/s to 4.5kb/s.

-edit-
    example 2: an openbsd file, 34mb from ftp.otenet.gr
    morphos/macmini ~10kb/s
    osx ~500kb/s
    morphos/pegasos ~450kb/s

[ Edited by amigagr on 2010/2/20 21:23 ]

-edit2-
    and a bug? the file (xfont46.tgz) pasted the 34mb and stop the downloading at 44.9mb more than 114% of the original size.

[ Edited by amigagr on 2010/2/20 21:34 ]

-edit3-
    i reboot and redownload the file. same results. it overdownloading the file to 131%.

[ Edited by amigagr on 2010/2/20 22:11 ]
    A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
    Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2

• »20.02.10 - 19:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    About the speed, there's no difference between browsing and downloading, it goes through the exact same code path. Now, if you take owb archive as an example, it's a very bad one, because free.fr host filters depending on moon phase. Anyway, that ftp test on .gr host clearly indicates that you run into that negociation issue in your network, since you get 450kB/s speed with the pegasos (i assume you use a similar setup there).

As for the oversize thing for gzip files, it should be considered as a feature, actually. :)
    It just ungzips the file on the fly, and it can't know in advance the uncompressed size, hence the >100% figure. Maybe i'll disable that for downloaded files, if it doesn't cause regressions for regular gzip'ed compressed pages, since it seems to confuse some. :)

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/2/20 22:15 ]

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/2/20 22:17 ]
  • »20.02.10 - 22:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    amigagr
    yes pegasos is connected directly with a similar cable to the same router.

i download the latest iso of ppc freebsd and the size it was correct. after this i try with ports.tgz
    a file of 46mb. after the real download it gone up to 700+% and end up in a file size of 332mb
    and it's stil a .tgz file. if it's a feature it's very cool, just didn't know about it. don't disable it,
    set in prefs an option to be turned on and off by the user.

-edit-
    about the negociation issue, osx does not have the same problem...
    so it looks like the problem is in ethernet's driver.

[ Edited by amigagr on 2010/2/21 1:15 ]
    A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
    Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2

• »20.02.10 - 23:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Quote:

Fab wrote:
    Err, do you really mean "system freeze" or just "application freeze", because the first one is really weird. If it's the latter, then just enable "use network thread" option in OWB network settings. By default, OWB (or rather all webkit implementations using CURL) resolves hosts in main task context, leading to that kind of latency, especially if the lookup is long, but it's limited to the application, of course

The SYSTEM freezes. It?s not possible to move the mouse pointer or do any keyboard input (e.g. <lamiga><m>) . It?s not just the application not reacting.

After some seconds everything works fine again.

And as said before this does not happen on my Pegasos. And only if hostnames are used. Not when I use IP-adresses.
  • »21.02.10 - 00:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Hi,

I made another video of "Network Statistics" during play of a 2:30 min. video on the MacMini with MorphOS 2.4 through de LAN. The video was on a Pegasos2 HD pardition and was played on the MacMini with Mplayer. As you can see on the video I made of "Network Statistics" there are a kind of "drops" or "stops" or...? In fact the video plays fine and suddenly stops 2 secs or so and plays fine again and stops and plays...

BTW the same play on a Pegasos2 instead of a MacMini plays fine, not stops.

I tested this on another, a 2nd, MacMini (1.5 Ghz, 64 MB Vram, 1 GB Ram) as the tests I did before and here also the same problem, so IMO it's not the Hardware.

Here is the link to the video file:

http://www.rmsvideo.ch/morphos/

User: rms14@dmz.local
    PW: rms4234

in the directory mos_24

- macmini_networkstats.avi (11 MB)
  • »22.02.10 - 06:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

pOS wrote:

The SYSTEM freezes. It?s not possible to move the mouse pointer or do any keyboard input (e.g. <lamiga><m>) . It?s not just the application not reacting.

After some seconds everything works fine again.

Well, for me that sounds more like out of vmem issue than network issue :). Have you tried to run OWB on non enhanced screen or screen with less colors or resolution? Or on Ambient screen... or on non enhanced Ambient screen ;)
  • »22.02.10 - 08:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @rms
    here the same with three Mac Mini G4@1500, gfx 64Mb (also in different LAN and routing), no problems with two Pegasos2 G4.
    regards
  • »22.02.10 - 17:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

Well, for me that sounds more like out of vmem issue than network issue :). Have you tried to run OWB on non enhanced screen or screen with less colors or resolution? Or on Ambient screen... or on non enhanced Ambient screen ;)

32mb of gfx memory is not much but i think that is enought for a browser, at least with the same machine tells that runs ok.
  • »22.02.10 - 23:47
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Quote:

Divinity wrote:
    @rms
    here the same with three Mac Mini G4@1500, gfx 64Mb (also in different LAN and routing), no problems with two Pegasos2 G4.
    regards

Ah, I'm not the only one then... it's not great, but good to hear, so we know that there seems really be a problem with the device on MacMini then.

Regards

Christoph
  • »23.02.10 - 07:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

Well, 64 MB graphics ram should be enough to view a simple web page. Nonetheless I tried switching off Enhanced Mode. Doesn't make a difference.
  • »23.02.10 - 08:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

kickstart wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

32mb of gfx memory is not much but i think that is enought for a browser, at least with the same machine tells that runs ok.

It certainly isn't sure. It depends how many screens you have open, in what resolution, depth and layers. On OSX you just have one screen in memory, while on MorphOS you can have several. With enhanced display, every window takes its space on vmem too, so window count affects too and for example when download window opens it might cause some swapping and freezing alone if you're on the limit.

As it was said that command-m keyboard shortcut doesn't work either when freezing happens, I assumed there are several screens open. Maybe OWB on its own screen even.

With big resolutions today, it isn't even sure if one (Ambient) screen fits into 32M with enhanced layers. Ambient disables enhanced mode automatically on my 1600x1200 screen with 32M mini, because it detects there isn't enough memory. And you can't fit too many screens in 32M even with lower resolutions like 1280x1024. 64M isn't that much either if you actively use many screens and want to keep enhanced modes on some.

Quote:

pOS wrote:

Well, 64 MB graphics ram should be enough to view a simple web page. Nonetheless I tried switching off Enhanced Mode. Doesn't make a difference.

Ok, I wasn't sure if you really have 64M, because you said earlier "MacMini G4/1.4 Ghz, 1 GB Ram, 64 MB VRAM.". It must be 1.5GHz model then...
  • »23.02.10 - 10:14
    Profile Visit Website