Mac Mini ethernet driver problem ?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @Fab

hi,

sorry, but I have verified now and there is something of strange...

well... If I download (without any variable) for exemple this one file http://os4depot.net/share/game/puzzle/changeit.lha I have about 150kb/s , and if i reboot in OSX Leopard 10.5.8 for the same file about 350kb/s with the same networking config LAN.
    Also (without any variable) copying file via SBMFS form MS Win 2k3 enterprise server to ram: of MoprhOS I have about 5120kb/s.

then

If I download (with 10BASET variable) the same file http://os4depot.net/share/game/puzzle/changeit.lha I have also about 150kb/s ,BUT THE VERY STRANGE is copying file via SBMFS form MS Win 2k3 enterprise server to ram: of MoprhOS I have also about 5120kb/s !!! so I THINK is unuseful this variabile "10BASET" becouse I can't have 5120kb/s with a NIC ethernet at 10BASET :-)))))

note that to "active" the 10BASET variable, I have edited the config file and ONLY reboot the Mac Mini (I need something else to make ?)

If I can help you to solve the problem, tell me (also privately if you prefear).
    I have two Mac Mini G4@1500 with the same problem :(

Thanks for the support
    Regards
  • »28.10.09 - 22:59
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Well, if you get a normal local network speed and something like 150kB/s from internet, you're likely not affected by this autonegociation issue.
    People who have that kind of issue rather get *very* low rates (say 10kB/s, and quite unreliable, too).
  • »28.10.09 - 23:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    Hi...

Like i say i have the same problem my router is a 3com and my config is changed the local ips from 162.168... to 172.26...

My download speed are 10/15/20/25kbs but downloading OWB fonts from cli sometimes speed increased to 120kbps or something but only one second or less.

I need to test with a hub or with another router, using macmini 1,42mhz 1gb ram 32mb gfx memory.
  • »28.10.09 - 23:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @Fab
    Hi,

I had this problem some days ago :-)
    I had sometimes about 10kb/s then 15kb/s then 5kb/s, then 0,5kb/s then 10kb/s ...and so on... then I have made the modify to the variable (10baseT) and I have had an ok 150kb/s for exemple, then I have DELETED the variable (10baseT) and all It's also ok (150kb/s), BUT the strange thing is It's IMPOSSIBLE I have about 5120kb/s in local LAN between MS 2k3 server and MOS Mac Mini at 10baseT :-))) so I think this variable (10baseT)is unuseful.
    What do you think about this ? It's impossible.

Also, other thing, It's strange I have 150kb/s for a file in MorphOS and 350kb/s rebooting in OSX Leopard 10.5.8 with the same file download and with the same ethernet TCP/IP LAN local settings.
    What do you think about this ?

thanks a lot
    regards

Quote:

Fab wrote:
    Well, if you get a normal local network speed and something like 150kB/s from internet, you're likely not affected by this autonegociation issue.
    People who have that kind of issue rather get *very* low rates (say 10kB/s, and quite unreliable, too).
  • »29.10.09 - 00:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I just tested my connection and here are the results (after finding a site that did not require Flash v7, or v8 minimum)

My MacMini is 1.5GHz G4 w/64mb VRAM, SuperDrive, Bluetooth & Wireless card installed.

Ethernet connection to NetGear 5 port 10/100Mbps Switch FS605 v3 > Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router 802.11g w/SpeedBooster > Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable Modem > Charter Cable TV Internet Service

The site I used for the speed test was "http://www.dslreports.com" and on that page I chose the speed test for mobile devices, as it does not require any version of Flash and I was using version 1.5 of the OWB browser.

My results were: Mobile speed test
    710 kbit/sec
    0.092s latency
    11.61s d/l time

I did try to download some files from one of the MorphOS repositories and noticed that it seemed to be running very slow, just like most of the others here have reported, so I then went 5 feet to my right and used my PC and a USB memory stick to download about 525mb of files to install on my MOS2.4 MacMini and then connected such USB memory stick in the Mini and copied all the files to my download directory.

I am going to do some more testing and downloading of files to see if I get the same results again, because it was 3 days ago when I was downloading files, and the speed test I ran above was from just a few minutes ago.

Hope this data helps.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.10.09 - 00:37
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @divinity

Maybe these options are ignored by the driver, I'd have to check more precisely. But it's still strange your situation changed after adding this config file (and yes, i agree you can't have >40Mb/s on a supposedly 10Mb/s negociation :)).

About the 150 vs. 350 figure, I don't have an explanation (maybe OSX takes advantage of new TCP features, which AmiTCP can't, just speculating here).
  • »29.10.09 - 01:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Trezzer
    I can confirm the issue here. Just installed 2.4 on a 1,25 GHz Mac Mini. It's hooked up directly to a Zyxel P2602HW-D1A DSL router. Both PC, Mac and Sam440 get excellent speeds (around 2MB/sec) while I get between 512bytes and 30KB/sec on the Mini.

--

Edit: It seems that after a reboot I get sporadically better results. I've seen up to 600K/sec but then all of a sudden it drops the connection completely or just slows down again. Still nowhere near the 2MB/sec, but it does smell a bit of negotiation problems.

[ Edited by Trezzer on 2009/10/29 15:20 ]
    Mac Mini 1,25GHz G4 512 MB RAM 40 GB HD - running MorphOS 3.0
    Powerbook A1138 1 GB RAM 80 GB HD running MorphOS 3.2
  • »29.10.09 - 12:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Trezzer
    Just for the sake of trying something else I put a tekComm 10/100Mb switch between the Mini and the router and changed the cable that goes into the Mac Mini. The performance is about the same.

I'm seeing a maximum of 950KB/sec over Samba locally, but it will sometimes just drop the connection and at times it will run much slower. Downloading frrom the internet the best result I've seen so far is 600KB/sec, but some downloads specifically will download much slower.

I tried receiving a DCC on IRC and it was below 100KB/sec and stalling to the point that the transfer could not be completed despite several tries. Receiving it on my shell I got around 4MB/second, so I should easily have maxed out my 20Mb connection on this.

In other words there's no real pattern to speak of, other than that all transfers are below what one can expect. Local networking, IRC transfers, FTP transfers and HTTP transfers all suffer to some extent and all drop the connection completely at times.

I may have another switch somewhere to test with, but I'm starting to think it may not help after all.
    --
    edit:

I tried setting the envarc settings to 10Mb/sec and now I get between 600K and 950K on a file transfer from the local network. Internet transfers are up to 600K/sec. This is obviously much improved, but it's still not acting right. The transfer speed increases a lot at first, suddenly drops and slowly trains back up again (and this is frrom a server nearby with plenty of capacity)

[ Edited by Trezzer on 2009/10/30 11:55 ]

[ Edited by Trezzer on 2009/10/30 22:26 ]
  • »30.10.09 - 09:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Trezzer
    Is there someone who would benefit from some logs, further tests/information with regards to solving this problem? I'll gladly perform more tests if it can help solve the problem.
  • »31.10.09 - 12:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @Fab

I think the variable 10BASET is ignored :(
    It' s strange but this is the situation.

I hope you can find a solution, so I proceed to register MOS 2.x for Mac Mini @1500.

I also can' t use Pegasos2 G4 @1000 but for another problem (gfx ATI radeon 9250 AGP working in MOS 1.4 and OS4.1 but with problem in MOS 2.x, see other topic.... if you have any ideas to solve also this problem ... )

thanks
    regardsQuote:

Fab wrote:
    @divinity

Maybe these options are ignored by the driver, I'd have to check more precisely. But it's still strange your situation changed after adding this config file (and yes, i agree you can't have >40Mb/s on a supposedly 10Mb/s negociation :)).

About the 150 vs. 350 figure, I don't have an explanation (maybe OSX takes advantage of new TCP features, which AmiTCP can't, just speculating here).
  • »31.10.09 - 12:32
  • A3K
  • Just looking around
    A3K
    Hi guys,

same (bad news) here: 10BASET variable doesn't change anything. I'll try another hub, if that one fails improving the network nehavior, reg'ing MOS 2.4 is a total no-no for me I'm afraid...

Right, internet is more or less unusable with this bad network performance on a connection (10MBit Hub) which works like a charm on the same machine on Ubuntu and OS X...

Cheers!

----

UPD: Getting a 100MBit Hub at least IMPROVED the situation. Download speed of smaller files from "smaller" sites seems a little dodgy (10K... 50K... nothing... 50K again) but at least "speedmongers" such as the Ubuntu download site max out at 630K/sec and my WLAN-connected iMac FTP's to the MorphOS box at around 1MBit.

So: Ethernet side doesnt seem perfect, but at least it's usable. reconsidering to register :)

[ Edited by A3K on 2009/11/10 7:52 ]
    MorphOS 2.4 on Mac Mini G4, 1.5GHz, 1/80GB :-)
    AmigaOS 3.9 on A3000D-060/128MB/2GB/PicII+/X-Surf :-)
    MacOS X 10.6/WinXP+AmigaForever on iMac 24" Gen.5, C2D 2.8GHz/4/500GB/8800GS :-)
    WinXP on Lenovo T61 for work :-(
  • »31.10.09 - 23:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    Just curious but... anyone with this bug change the network settings or use the deffault settings?
  • »18.11.09 - 04:18
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Hi,

I also experience slow ethernet/internet connections with my mac mini, 1.5 ghz, 1gb ram and 64 mb vram. I setup a static IP address, no dhcp. I experience also slow LAN transfers, using Envoy3... Transfers just stop for say 10 secs and then it works again. Transfering data from a Pegasos2 to the macmini, via LAN, Ambient shows about 700 kb/s, doing the same from a Pegasos2 to another Pegasos2, Ambient shows 5.5 MB/s.

Strange....
  • »18.11.09 - 15:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    I'm getting another problem where after 'some time' the internet connection breaks, and if I try to ping my router:-

ping: wrote 192.168.1.1 64 chars, ret=-1
    ping: sendto: No buffer space available

It only happens occationally, but I've seen it on two Mac-minis with MorphOS 2.4,
  • »19.11.09 - 20:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It only happens occationally

Same here on Mac mini.
  • »20.11.09 - 00:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I hope this Ethernet problem is universal for the MorphOS Team members too and that they are working on a fix for the next release, instead of any work on the eMac, or PowerBook versions. Has anyone on the team confirmed that it is a problem that they need to fix and that the team is working on it?

Edit: I know that a few team members have posted in this and other threads where the Ethernet problem/slowness has been mentioned, but I have not read any confirmation that the problem was recognized and that they were working on a fix for it in the next release.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/11/19 21:03 ]
  • »20.11.09 - 05:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    I hope too, never try a home network with mac mini but this bug make slow everything on the internet.
  • »20.11.09 - 06:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Well I haven't heard anyone in the team having the problem. This is why we need as much HW details as possible, else we will have hard time fixing this.
  • »20.11.09 - 07:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    That is what I was afraid of. I gave some details earlier in this thread about which hardware I have from the cable modem to my Ethernet port. Is there anything else I can provide that will help?

It appears that there are many users that are having this slow Ethernet connection problem, so I had started to believe that everyone was having the same problem, including maybe one or two of the Team members, but that must not be true after reading what Piru just wrote.

We need to compile what ever information the team needs to help them find what is causing this problem. I have a 5mb connection through the cable company, but with MorphOS2.4 on my MacMini I can only get a small fraction of that speed, but with MacOSX on the exact same computer and other hardware between the computer and the cable connection to the wall, I get the full speed of my connection.

I also noticed tonight that my connection with MorphOS2.4 on my Efika was very slow too, but it might have been the site I was downloading from. I was downloading the latest version of OWB from Fab's site.

Edit: Will all MorphOS users that are experiencing slow Ethernet connections and/or connection freezing problems, please post their exact hardware setups here in this thread and what steps they have taken to try to improve their connection speed, plus the average connection speed they are seeing. Details about which sites they are going to, to do any speed testing would also be helpful. I am going to try to do some more testing tomorrow, as it is too late for me tonight to get off my laptop and out of bed to go turn on my MacMini. See you all tomorrow, please post your info, details and speed test results here for the team to look at and hopefully use to find a fix.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/11/19 22:27 ]
  • »20.11.09 - 07:21
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

I also noticed tonight that my connection with MorphOS2.4 on my Efika was very slow too, but it might have been the site I was downloading from. I was downloading the latest version of OWB from Fab's site.

This one is "normal"... This site is hosted at free.fr which is one of the worst in the world. They go as far as voluntarily slowing down transfers to other ISP's IPs. But it's free :)
  • »20.11.09 - 09:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @amigadave
    Just for the record, at Alchimie event, there were a dozen of Mac mini machines at least, and none of them showed that issue. So it's far from being that easy to reproduce, unfortunately.
  • »20.11.09 - 13:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks for the answers.

Does that mean that I must try to figure out why I am having a slow connection with my MacMini running MorphOS2.4, or does the team recognize that there might be a problem with the Ethernet driver, since there are many users that are having the same problem? That problems is that they have slow Internet connection speed with MorphOS2.4 on the exact same hardware and same connecting equipment and cables as their MacOSX connection with the same computer, but the MacOSX has no such problems with connection speed.

I mean it only makes sense that the problems is within MorphOS2.4, if it does not exist in the hardware with the MacOSX.

So, it would be good to get a count of people that are having this problem and start compiling information to help track down the cause.
  • »21.11.09 - 03:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    Anyone of the developer can easily reproduce a system freeze that is connected to the Mac minis ethernet.

I have a PegII G4 MorphOS 2.4 running MLDonkey 3.0.0 24/7 without system freeze or ethernet drop.
    And i also have 2 Mac minis 1.5GHz. With my Mac minis i have tried running MLDonkey on a fresh system, i have tried MLDonkey versions 3.0.0 and 2.9.5, i have tried exactly same setup as my PegII and i also done some tweeking, the Mac minis is randomly freezing and sometimes dropping the internet connections. this happens more often if the network utilization is heavy.
    The time between freezing can be 5minutes to 5hours, but with heavy utilization on MLDonkey it will take max 1hour.

Please MorphOS super duper master developers! get your thumbs out of your as and check this out please :)

[ Edited by dake on 2009/11/21 10:55 ]
  • »21.11.09 - 10:12
    guruman
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    Well I haven't heard anyone in the team having the problem. This is why we need as much HW details as possible, else we will have hard time fixing this.

I've had some chatting in IRC with some team members (read: bigfoot and Fab) past week. Anyway, here is a brief summary of what happens to me (it seems to me this problem does show in different ways to each user).

- I use the mini directly connected with the classic Ethernet cable to an ADSL modem/router. The modem/router is an Alice Gate 2 Plus WiFi (the standard thing we get with a TIN ADSL subscription, so it's used by some hundred thousands in Italy: http://images.alice.it/sg/help/upload/ali/alicegate2pluswifi-usermanual.zip). Since I dn't own a KVM switch, the configuration is exactly the same I use on the Efika and the Pegasos II: when I change coputer, I unplug the Ethernet cable from one machine and plug it on the other. No problems with the Efika and the Pegasos II, no problems with the mini using OSX or Linux as well.
    - What happens? Well, quite often I have slow downloads. Browsing speed is more than decent, though, but as soon as I try a download it tends to stop after a few dozen KB, or to continue at a crawling speed. It happens also while loading big pictures from web, or downloading emails with attachments. But downloading anything is pretty much unusable.
    - I tried to change the Prefs/Env-Archive/sana2/sungem_et0.config (and also sungem_eth0.config), but none of the options 10BASET, 100BASETX or AUTONEGOTIATE seem to solve the problem.
    - sometimes things just works. Sometimes things are deadly slow and all of a sudden starts going at almost insane speed (more than 1MB/s and not on local files, never seen this on my Pegasos II in years). Sometimes things are working nicely and stops in the middle of a session.
    - I have noticed that if I turn on the mini and the router together, things always work to some extent. Sometimes I get those DL problems afterwards, but if I turn off and then on the router things get good again - but this is not convenient, since I also have a PC connected that usually somebody else is using. If I turn on the mini while the PC is already doing traffic with p2p clients, I always get the super slow/freezing connection.

That's all folks...

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »21.11.09 - 16:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Might I suggest that everyone that is experiencing a problem with their MacMini Ethernet connection being slow when using MorphOS2.4 visit one or more of the many speed test sites on the Internet and;

1. list the site they used to test their connection,
    2. list the results they got from the test they ran,
    3. run the test at least 3 times and list all 3 results, or the average of the 3 tests,
    4. list each piece of equipment they use to connect their MacMini to the Internet,
    5. and lastly which ISP they use to connect to the Internet.

If there are other items that would be helpful to the MorphOS Development Team, please feel free to add to my list above.

If we all do the same tests from the same sites and provide all of the information above for each and every user that is having trouble with a slow connection, it will be easier for the team to sort through the information and check it against what they are seeing on their own MacMini's.

If anyone has a better idea, please share it with us. I have no problem adhering to a better plan, but we must have some plan to try to resolve this issue.

Edit: I don't have time right at the moment to fire up the MacMini, but I did do a test of my connection using my PC at www.speedtest.net and my results of one test pass were:

Download speed = 10.88Mb/s
    Upload speed = 1.07Mb/s

So, I think I have a fairly decent connection here and should have better results than I have been seeing with my MacMini running MorphOS2.4.

More later,

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/11/21 11:32 ]
  • »21.11.09 - 20:29