The new Efika MX is up for sale
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

If there was any confirmation that MorphOS will move to another processor architecture in 201x, this will most certainly not increase interest in the existing PowerPC versions but it could potentially convince some people to maybe not get a Mac Mini G4 now and wait for that yummy MorphOS 5.0 that is to be released at some unspecified point in the future.

I think I am with you on that generally, but there is also another way to see it: Without a kind of far going road map one might think (note the conditional!) MorphOS would be on a dead end and therefore leave the train and neither use MorphOS 2.x nor wait for MorphOS 5.0...
    Just for the record: *I* don't think that, but others might.

I think Zylesea has a strong and valid point there...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »28.08.09 - 12:43
  • ASiegel
    @ Zylesea

Quote:

Without a kind of far going road map one might think (note the conditional!) MorphOS would be on a dead end and therefore leave the train and neither use MorphOS 2.x nor wait for MorphOS 5.0...

Just for the record: *I* don't think that, but others might.

Others might feel and fear a lot of things which may or may not be the result of fact-based rational thinking. In the end, what really matters is that you offer software that people like so much that they are willing to buy / use it. It is really as simple as that.

When people do not actually like the current product offering enough to justify the expense and need a lot of promises regarding the future to lure them into a purchase, they are most likely best advised to just stay away for the time being and perhaps reevaluate their decision in the future in case they are still interested.
  • »28.08.09 - 14:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    It would be nice to have MorphOS running on all kinds of different hardware, including the newest Efika, brand new x86 PC's and Macs, NetBooks and laptops, but the reality is that the size of the MorphOS development team is, what, 20 people, 15, 10, or is it only 5 that can put up serious hours of work on it with the rest just being able to contribute a few hours here and there when they feel like it? They certainly aren't doing it for the money because there isn't any to be made from such a tiny user base. Just some pizza & beer money when you look at the amount that has been made and then spread it over the number of programmers and the amount of time it has taken to make MorphOS and also complete the free updates.

MorphOS started out on PPC for various reasons that made some kind of reasonable sense at that time and the path of least resistance has kept it on PPC, probably at least partly because of the tiny size of the team that is doing all the work on it and the reluctance to take on the increased workload that would be required to port MorphOS to another architecture. That is just a fact of life that there are limited resources (men and hours available to work on this hobby OS) and that it is more work to port the OS to another CPU and architecture than it is to continue porting it to any PPC computers that are available. It is easy for others who only sit on the sidelines watching MorphOS progress slowly to second guess the team and spout their views of what should have been done and which platforms should be ported to next, but none of them are actually doing the work for next to no pay, so they have no idea of exactly just how much trouble and how many hours are involved in doing what has already been completed, or how much more it would take to port to a different architecture and CPU.

Yes, it took maybe 18 months to get a stable port of MorphOS for the Efika and only the development team would know how much longer (or shorter, but I doubt it) it would take them to do a port to ARM, or any x86 hardware. I would think that everyone should take all of these things into their considerations before they criticize the MorphOS development team for not switching to some other platform. I am sure the team would like to have MorphOS on more modern and better performing hardware, but they must weigh the amount of time they think it will take them to complete such a switch against the amount of manpower and time the team has available to perform such a port to a different architecture. I am confident that they will make a switch some day if they can keep the team together, or perhaps get more help to make such a big step possible in a reasonable time frame. Only the development team can know what their resources really are and when the time will be right FOR THEM to make any change.

end rant
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.08.09 - 16:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Amigadave: amen

[ Edited by pampers on 2009/8/28 17:09 ]
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »28.08.09 - 17:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

That is capable of having up to 512mb RAM, but has been crippled by only being available with 128mb and having firmware that does not allow it to be upgraded to any other amount of RAM (or so I have been told).

No, you have been told that the amount of memory is a *design decision* that has to be made *pre-production*. The Efika must *be built* with more memory *from the start*. The Efikas out in the wild today was designed and built with 128MB, and no firmware upgrade will change that, it's a HW thing. To make an Efika with more memory you will have to build it slightly different from the start. That wouldn't help you, me or anyone else with a 128MB Efika.

That is not what I read from my long argument with Matt months ago? Yes, there might have to be other hardware changes besides just adding, or replacing the original RAM, or both to have an Efika with more RAM, but the pcb itself would not be different and the changes would be POSSIBLE, just not cost effective to make any change probable. The Efika would not have different pcb's for each different RAM configuration and everything else on the board COULD be replaced, or altered, but it is just not practical or cost effective. The design decision to only produce the Efika with 128mb of RAM in the first place was a mistake in my opinion, as I wonder how much difference in price it would have been in the beginning to fit it with the maximum 512mb of RAM? At least it was a mistake for us MorphOS users, but then we were not the target market for that board, the embedded auto makers were the market and they most likely did not need the additional RAM, so I understand the decision. Saving what ever amount of money on each board was additional profit in the pockets of Genesi and less capital outlay of funds to manufacture the Efika. It is just too bad that it did not make economic sense to make a smaller production run of the Efika with the maximum 512mb of RAM installed so the MorphOS users would have had a choice between the 128mb and 512mb boards.

It is my understanding that if someone, or some group made the firmware changes and the correct RAM (and possibly some other components that might be needed) could be found for sale, existing Efika's could be altered to use more RAM. This would be in violation of the firmware agreement that prohibits alteration and it is not likely that anyone or any group would do it because the benefit would not justify the cost in time, effort and parts, unless that someone, or some group got permission to do so and was willing to do it for free and the parts could be found.

I know that this is not going to happen, but look at the guy who spent thousands of Euros of his own money to redesign a new 030 motherboard for the A1000. I think stranger things have happened in the world of Amiga over the past 20 years, so anything is possible.
  • »28.08.09 - 17:11
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    feanor
    Quote:

...the embedded auto makers were the market...

where did that get from?

Quote:

Saving what ever amount of money on each board was additional profit in the pockets of Genesi and less capital outlay of funds to manufacture the Efika. It is just too bad that it did not make economic sense to make a smaller production run of the Efika with the maximum 512mb of RAM installed so the MorphOS users would have had a choice between the 128mb and 512mb boards.

I'm sorry but this is not the way it happens. I began to look into hardware myself lately, so let's give an example: let's say you have 150k (?,$, whatever it doesnt' matter) initial budget and you want to design the motherboard of your dreams. Let's say for the sake of argument that the PCB design phase with prototypes will cost you arount 80k? (it can be lower or higher, depending on the design of course). The factory tells you that production runs happen in batches of 500 -or similar quantity, for technical reasons but also for parts price reasons- , so you have to see that the remaining money (70k?) will last for the production AND the parts. For 500 units, this means you have to make sure that the cost/unit will cost at most 140?. But you're short of some cash, so you have to change the design and lower the specs somewhat. Now this varies greatly depending on the PCB, but let's say that RAM is easy to dismiss, because RAM chips are expensive and more expendable, the RAM capacity is variable. In an embedded board where most peripherals is on a SoC, you can't dismiss ethernet, you can't dismiss audio, you can't dismiss the CPU(!), so you have to take down on RAM.

Well, theoretically, you could lower your profits and use that amount to increase RAM, but that's really bad, bad, bad business practice. A product that doesn't make a profit is doomed to fail.

Disclaimer: I don't really know what happened with the Efika, and this is NOT an explanation of why it has only 128MB or RAM (which imho are just fine, the Efika is not a really desktop system). But it's a problem I've come unto myself and I think pretty much everyone that produces soemthing (and software of course, specs minimizing are not only hw-related).

Quote:

I know that this is not going to happen, but look at the guy who spent thousands of Euros of his own money to redesign a new 030 motherboard for the A1000. I think stranger things have happened in the world of Amiga over the past 20 years, so anything is possible.

Indeed. But what if it happens? What if someone releases tomorrow or in 6/12 months a modern PPC motherboard that fulfills your wishes? Would everyone here rush out to buy it? I don't think so.
  • »28.08.09 - 17:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

feanor wrote:
    Quote:

...the embedded auto makers were the market...

where did that get from?

Do some research about where most of the Efika boards sold to and read the comments about the 2% to 5% of the Efika boards sold having MorphOS licenses. Only makes sense that the remaining 95% to 98% of the Efika boards produced sold to the embedded and auto maker market, unless they are still sitting on supplier's shelves, but Genesi is sold out of their stock, so they must have gone somewhere.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/8/28 10:30 ]
  • »28.08.09 - 18:28
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    feanor
    Quote:

Do some research about where most of the Efika boards sold to and read the comments about the 2% to 5% of the Efika boards sold having MorphOS licenses. Only makes sense that the remaining 95% to 98% of the Efika boards produced sold to the embedded and auto maker market, unless they are still sitting on supplier's shelves, but Genesi is sold out of their stock, so they must have gone somewhere.

lol, I have 5 efikas here and I'm in no way related to the auto market - I do however work on embedded projects occasionally. If you were referring to embedded AND/OR auto markets, then ok, I agree 100% and there is no argument, my objection stands only if you were referring to the auto market alone.
  • »28.08.09 - 18:41
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

In the end, what really matters is that you offer software that people like so much that they are willing to buy / use it. It is really as simple as that.

When people do not actually like the current product offering enough to justify the expense and need a lot of promises regarding the future to lure them into a purchase, they are most likely best advised to just stay away for the time being and perhaps reevaluate their decision in the future in case they are still interested.

Amen to that! People can try MorphOS on the machines it is available, and if they like it as it is now, they should register, otherwise it would mean MorphOS is not the solution for them right now. Communications right now about any possible log term plan are out of the loop and do not change the way I can use my MorphOS machines right now.
    On the other hand, however, some more inputs about the short term plans would not do much harm, IMHO. Having a better idea about the G4 Mac support for sure is not going to harm sales of Pegasoses or Efikas, nor registrations: I am pretty sure that most of us that were interested in that, had more than enough time to find, set up and register their machines.

And just to be clear: I'd like the team to know that I like and enjoy MorphOS as it is now (2.3), and appreciate their past and present work and efforts. In fact I did not register 2 copies of it for my two machines just to generically "support" them, but because I use said machines, and like doing so.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »29.08.09 - 13:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > If you're designing a car from scratch and not just plagiarising
    > chassis from old models and components from old models, any i.MX
    > chip would do the job.

I'm really no expert regarding automotive semiconductors but the following Freescale automotive documents:

http://www.freescale.com/files/automotive/doc/brochure/BR32BITAUTOMP.pdf
    (no mention of i.MX at all)

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/roadmap/BRAUTOPRDCTMAP.pdf
    (don't miss the smallish table near bottom on the right of page 2)

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/selector_guide/SG187.pdf
    (pages 20 to 24)

...don't make the impression to me as if i.MX could currently replace each and every MPC55xx/56xx for each and every use case, even if the car is designed from scratch.
  • »29.08.09 - 14:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Power familiy (from mobile phones to Super Computers)

Mobile phone with Power Architecture CPU? Where?
  • »29.08.09 - 14:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

Others might feel and fear a lot of things which may or may not be the result of fact-based rational thinking. In the end, what really matters is that you offer software that people like so much that they are willing to buy / use it. It is really as simple as that.

Agree
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »29.08.09 - 14:13
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

Neko wrote:
    @CISC

MorphOS does not need to retain compatibility. Do you want to know what Freescale did when we told them we had an OS that had m68k compatibility on the Pegasos?

They laughed.

Strangely enough, Freescale lists all their m68k chips as active/available, allthough sometimes with insane prices - but the 7447 used in pegasos2 is listed as .. dead :-)

The rest of your post, regarding morphos and legacy... sounds like me in 2002 ;-)
    -- kolla
  • »30.08.09 - 23:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

...don't make the impression to me as if i.MX could currently replace each and every MPC55xx/56xx

Well, if it was so, it would just mean that freescale has done it job right.

Sorry for the cheap shot, just couldn't resist.

PowerPC deserved better. Who knows, perhaps the "Amiga curse" will only end when its endless stream of bastards descendants forget about their Motorola heritage.
  • »31.08.09 - 09:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if it was so, it would just mean that freescale has done it job
    > right. [...] PowerPC deserved better.

Sorry, I don't quite understand. Do you think ARM (i.MX) should replace Power Architecture completely within Freescale? Or do you think Power Architecture should remain as a Freescale supported architecture?
  • »31.08.09 - 10:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Or do you think Power Architecture should remain as a Freescale supported architecture?

Sorry, cheap joke, and badly worded from my part. What I pretended to mean is that, if freescale had ARM substitutes for every PowerPC part, it would mean they had done their job right. In my opinion, freescale isnow a good provider, and I blame them for many failures in Amiga related history. Which qualifies me as some kind of ungrateful bastard, but I can't help thinking that way.
    Back to my "joke" I realize it's not funny at all, even if I got the meaning right. Andreas, do you have a category for stupid posts in your knowledge database? And most of all, why you never answer, to the several times I've asked you about how you can organize all those URLs you have?
    What are we going to do the day you are not here?
  • »31.08.09 - 12:35
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fransexy
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Power familiy (from mobile phones to Super Computers)

Mobile phone with Power Architecture CPU? Where?

PowerPC mobile phone 8-)
  • »31.08.09 - 16:47
  • »31.08.09 - 17:22
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      ironfist
      Phone with extractable keyboard? Wasn't that what phones looked like in 2007?
    • »31.08.09 - 21:33
      Profile Visit Website
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      discreetfx
      Thought LimePC was toast?
      DiscreetFX
      Making your
      Digital Films
      More Effective!
    • »31.08.09 - 22:08
      Profile Visit Website
    • Caterpillar
      Caterpillar
      Fransexy
      Quote:

ironfist wrote:
      Phone with extractable keyboard? Wasn't that what phones looked like in 2007?

2009 nokia phones: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia-phones-1.php up to 6 phones with extractable keyboard

2009 samsung phones: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung-phones-9.php up to 4 phones with extractable keyboard

2009 LG phones: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg-phones-20.php up to 2 phones with extractable keyboard

I have to continue? :roll:
    • »31.08.09 - 23:55
    • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
      Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
      stephen_robinson
      Even more off subject-

http://www.drobe.co.uk/article.php?id=2537&nc=19

RiscOS for the new Efika?

That is a very, very good thing.
    • »01.09.09 - 19:36
    • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
      Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
      Velcro_SP
      |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 26.04.2011 - 06:00 ]
      Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
    • »02.09.09 - 00:28
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      Zylesea
      @ Velcro_SP

I doubt there is much activity around the LimePC. Even if you go to google.cn there aren't that many hits, google products china lead to no hit at all (at least that page which I assume is google products of google.cn). If there were plenty of 5121 devices shipped in China you would find something about that on the net. After the handful of Cherrypals there came not much new from the 5121 side - unfortunately I'd like to add.
      I think the 5121 train has left...

Regarding an Efika with integrated gfx: There were plans to make a 5200 based Efika that comes with an additional soldered Volari gfx chip - but this plan was given up. Later the 5121 plan emerged, and we all know it failed for Genesi.

--

What I would really like to know is what's the issue with NEC's 8610 redtail board. It really seemed pretty nice, but except from a youtube video and a few posts at powerdeveloper there was only one Japanese site with information about that board.
      --
      http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
      ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
    • »02.09.09 - 01:08
      Profile Visit Website
    • Paladin of the Pegasos
      Paladin of the Pegasos
      jcmarcos
      Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

I doubt there is much activity around the LimePC.

Me too. If they are able to ship products, why wouldn't they be able to do something MUCH easier, such as updating their web site?

Quote:

I think the 5121 train has left...

Me too. Both pity and fact, in that order. perhaps we hoped too much from that chip, with its inherent internal bottlenecks. Now, if somebody was able to pick a CherryPal, and hack an accelerated DIU driver...

Quote:

What I would really like to know is what's the issue with NEC's 8610 redtail board. It really seemed pretty nice, but except from a youtube video and a few posts at powerdeveloper there was only one Japanese site with information about that board.

Indeed! It's the only MPC 8610 computer I've seen that isn't freescale's evaluation board (which Genesi's Peter Czanik loved!). THAT was a good looking CPU. Shame on freescale, dumping most PowerPC division.
      I hope Andreas Wolf could come up with some links about the RedTail...
    • »02.09.09 - 09:48