Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It remains to be seen if any MPC5xxx processors will be produced in
    > the future but seeing as the entire division at Freescale was
    > disbanded and now most of the engineers are working on i.MX or at
    > other companies.. and Freescale's PPC product group focusses on
    > network and imaging processors rather than automotive..

http://media.freescale.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=196520&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1338824
    http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC564xL
  • »07.10.09 - 20:39
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 24.04.2011 - 07:19 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »08.10.09 - 11:26
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    feanor
    @Velcro_SP

LimePC and MPC5121-based desktop projects are dead, not because it's a bad idea, but because the hardware is not up to it. Just get over it. This thread has absolutely no meaning whatsoever, or actually the thread was about the new Efika MX which is way more powerful than the 5121 ever was. Don't hijack the thread with useless discussions about a dead platform. Just because you got one, doesn't mean that it's a smart thing to buy one.
  • »08.10.09 - 11:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 24.04.2011 - 07:28 ]
  • »08.10.09 - 12:02
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    feanor
    @Velcro_SP

Ok, I don't care what you *think* it's doing, but googling for "THTF MPC5121" (or 5121) or LimePC, doesn't get me anything more recent than March 2009 (most links are from 2008, most references are from morphzone and your posts, btw) and there is NOT one online shop that sells these (no, ebay doesn't count). It's dead, get over it. What's the obsession anyway, are you a shareholder?
  • »08.10.09 - 13:04
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 24.04.2011 - 07:30 ]
  • »08.10.09 - 14:29
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    feanor
    Quote:

...Google is great, but you can't find every actively-marketed electronic device with a simple keyword search there, esp. in languages other than English...

Then it's not an "actively-marketed electronic device". The afore-mentioned search produces 8(!) results on Google -edit: it does produce ~3k results on "MPC5121e THTF" but still most from 2008-, we're not talking about some chinese/asian words, we're talking about a company name and a product code. Your argument is void.

Whatever, I don't see this reply as satisfactory. I may have disagreed with Andreas in the past, but so far you have failed to provide *one* convincing argument, while he has provided many, and you are also insulting. I'm also an environmentalist myself, I also proposed to fund a ppc-based mobo if there is enough interest, because I believe in the ppc line, but this is also not a topic of this thread.

Quote:

I might as well ask if you are an obsessed Efika MX shareholder.

No, but I wish I was. Such devices will succeed, where others will fail.

[ Edited by feanor on 2009/10/8 18:32 ]

[ Edited by feanor on 2009/10/8 18:43 ]
  • »08.10.09 - 15:24
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 24.04.2011 - 07:20 ]
  • »08.10.09 - 16:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > this actually shows that sometimes you don't know what you're
    > talking about.

Yes, and I admitted that I was wrong in that Atom based LimePC matter. And I admitted that I admitted that I was wrong in that Atom based LimePC matter. What more do you want me to do regarding that Atom based LimePC matter? And where is the connection to the Volari matter where you are wrong but don't admit that you are?

> You admitted this one only because it was such a bonehead mistake
    > it was impossible not to admit.

So why don't you admit that you're wrong in that Volari matter where it's obvious that you are wrong?

> Contrast that with your thousand word essays that a link to a
    > discussion that includes only "hypernyms" like "LimePC" and "etc."
    > means that those discussions include a specific model of LimePC

That discussion included each and every model of LimePC that meet.mrnrg was offering through his eBay shop at that point in time. That includes that specific model.

> when it fact they say nothing about that model, and don't tell
    > anyone anything about that model

His statements about his LimePC offerings included that model as well as all other models he was offering at that point in time.

> and don't refer to that model by any name or term.

You did ask for discussions that include that model, not for discussions that include a denomination of that model.

Btw, what's that do do with the Volari matter?

> And contrast that with your many other trolls, like the repeated
    > one that I "deny the existence" of Genesi announcements and projects.

I proved that you denied the existence of that particular Genesi announcement and project. As well as I rectified all your false and trolling claims about the Volari matter you did in this thread. Now it's up to you to confess that you were wrong.
  • »08.10.09 - 17:40
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    feanor
    Quote:

feanor, it is possible to actively market things without Google showing it. I'm telling you that all human knowledge is not indexed in Google. You can listen or not. It's ethnocentric to suggest the Chinese and Vietnamese etc. don't count.

Knowledge != information. Marketing is information not knowledge. I never said they don't count, but a product which is solely marketed in China or Vietnam, is of absolutely no use to me - and I guess to many others. May the Chinese and Vietnamese enjoy it in full, I don't mind, but I also don't care.

Quote:

THTF sent a team to SinoCES in August, they displayed a range of 5121e devices. You still say this is not active marketing? What else did you say, "there is NOT one online shop that sells these." Here's one.

Congrats on finding the online shop, though it looks like an ebay shop to me, but nevertheless. How long did it take you? Is that "active marketing" to you? I don't know perhaps you should talk to the iPhone marketing team. Still, the same point stands. A system which is unmarketable in anything even remotely close to "here" (and I'm using "here" with a very broad definition), is of little use to us who live "here". It's not a secret that the Asian market has a whole list of products marketed only there. Trying to convince us that a specific product is "The One True Solution" even when it has been tried -and failed- to the more demanding "Western" market, is naive.

Quote:

You can take Andreas' side if you like but you're just not reading his comments (which is quite understandable) if you say I've been insulting and he hasn't. I don't like rolling around in the mud, but I've responded to his insults, because nobody's going to push me around.

I have not taken sides at all. I just dislike your insistence on something which everyone in their right mind considers obsolete.

Quote:

PS: last response about CherryPal/LimePC in this thread from me.

Thank you, I wil do the same.

[ Edited by feanor on 2009/10/8 23:07 ]
  • »08.10.09 - 20:05
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 26.04.2011 - 05:49 ]
  • »08.10.09 - 21:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > [ Edited by Velcro_SP on 2009/10/8 19:33 ]

I could read your post before you decided to delete it. Regrettably, you deleted your confession that you were wrong with it.
  • »09.10.09 - 00:36
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 26.04.2011 - 05:48 ]
  • »09.10.09 - 01:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > that quote from three months ago

It's from September, not "three months ago".

> He was talking about something other than I was. We were talking
    > about different things

And your "thing" (MPC5121e based) didn't have anything to do with the thread topic that was Volari support.

> I didn't make any denial that an announcement or project existed
    > though, which was what you said.

And which is true, still. 4 days ago you wrote:

"I don't accept your representations about "MPC5200B with onboard Volari gfx chip" as "fact.""
  • »09.10.09 - 02:22
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 24.04.2011 - 07:26 ]
  • »09.10.09 - 06:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Velcro_SP wrote:

What else did you say, "there is NOT one online shop that sells these." Here's one.

"chodientu.vn"? The first time in my life, EVER, that I see a vietnamese web page. Velcro, you have to admit that this is, indeed, an obscure product. Alright, we can take computers that are not sold on Wall Mart, but this is too much.
  • »09.10.09 - 07:36
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 19.04.2011 - 16:42 ]
  • »09.10.09 - 09:51
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 24.04.2011 - 10:29 ]
  • »09.10.09 - 09:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I don't accept *your* representations about it as fact, not that I
    > denied the existence of the announcement and project altogether.

What exactly are these "*your* representations about it" that you don't take as fact, if not my representation that this announcement and project regarding "MPC5200B with onboard Volari gfx chip" existed?

And btw, you said that by "5200B" you didn't refer to a processor but to "the 5200B board". What "5200B board" exactly? The Freescale Lite5200B, where you linked to the MPC5200B's product page in order to prove that "5200B" was a board, and which has no onboard gfx? Which you in turn claimed to be the reason as to why there couldn't be technically any MPC5200B based board with onboard gfx? Which you in turn used as evidence that the project announcement takemehomegrandma and me were talking of could never have been made?

> This is nowhere near the level of error of your point blank "definitely"
    > assertion that THTF wasn't the source of the CherryPal Bing.

...where I admitted (that I admitted that I admitted) that I was wrong. You have not admitted that you wrongly denied the existence of the "MPC5200B with onboard Volari gfx chip" project and announcement.
  • »09.10.09 - 12:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What a dodge.

It's not.

> I can't just ask if the discussions include something, I have to
    > make sure to ask if they specifically include something by name?

Only if you want to be pointed to discussions that specifically include something by name. If you just want to be pointed to discussions that include something by meaning, you don't have to.

> The fact is those discussions did not include the MID-3G, only
    > broad references to LimePC in general

No, they included references to the LimePC models meet.mrnrg was offering at that point in time. These were nowhere all LimePC models that existed back then. The MID 3G was amongst the devices he was offering.

> and oh yes of course a further link to an eBay shop that at that
    > time included MID-3G.

Exactly.

> Your hypernym 7/7 maneuver was actually better than this
    > "denomination" one.

It's one and the same argument. Think about it little harder.

Would you eventually dare to answer my question from 15 days ago? You can find it there for instance.
  • »09.10.09 - 12:36
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 24.04.2011 - 07:18 ]
  • »09.10.09 - 17:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I was saying that I need more than that to accept something as fact.

More than what? More than my link to BBRV's announcement which I gave back in April in the Volari thread, which I hinted you at several times already?

> I wasn't denying the existence of anything.

You're running in circles. Again: What *exactly* are these "representations about it" that you don't take as fact? My "representation about it" was that this project announcement existed. If you don't take the existence of something as fact, you deny it's existence. There aren't exactly many possibilities besides existence and non-existence.

> Genesi makes numerous announcements

For sure. I even compared them to capricious women during menstruation here and there.

> I wouldn't know what they said in each email two years ago.

I never mentioned private conversation via email or even non-private conversation via email. I told you several times that this announcement from 3.5 years ago is public on Genesi's webserver (powerdeveloper.org). And this announcement led to news items on various websites, among them even non-Amiga ones. A quick Google search reveales:

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2006-04-00078-EN.html
    http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2006-04-00078-DE.html (German version of above)
    http://www.ann.lu/detail.cgi?category=web&file=1145038429.msg
    http://www.ppcnux.de/?q=node/6311 (German)
    http://www.pegasos.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=984 (even predating the later announcement by referring to a prior statement of BBRV)
    http://www.ppcnux.de/?q=node/6278 (see above, German)

BBRV referenced that project in their blog as well:
    http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2006/04/genesibook.html
    http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2006/05/open-source-3d-graphics-support.html [start with "The encore is the V3XE, which goes right on the next EFIKA."]

> Why would I deny one of them?

I don't know why you did. Tell me.

> I'm sure they discussed many things.

...and they announced many things.

> I don't deny those things.

You did deny the existence of that particular "MPC5200B with onboard Volari gfx chip" project.

> I just don't accept what Andreas Wolf says as fact because he says it.

I had told you several times that the announcement is on Genesi's webserver and that I linked that announcement already. So there was no need to rely only on me. You just had to follow my link and read it yourself. You decided not to do so and instead continue your denial. Only you know why.

> Some of it may be, some of it's not.

That's why back in April I provided the link to that announcement and hinted you at that, so that you know it's a fact, not just "my fact". I didn't do that for fun.

> each time I used the term 5200B I referred to a 5200B board

You didn't say "a 5200B", but "*the* 5200B". There are dozens of MPC5200B based boards from many different manufacturers and vendors out on the market, maybe some even with onboard gfx. So which one did you mean?
    You later linked to the Freescale Lite5200B, which indeed has no onboard gfx, implying you meant that particular board ...no, wait, you linked to the MPC5200B *processor* product page claiming that was a board's product page.

You wrote:

"The 5200B [board] has a gfx card slot. The 5121e [board?] has onboard gfx."
    ...and...
    "A 5200B device doesn't have onboard gfx."
    ...and...
    "The reason that onboard graphics means the board couldn't be 5200B [board] is that the 5200B [board] doesn't have onboard graphics."

Care to explain these statements, especially in context of the feasibility of Genesi's "MPC5200B with onboard Volari gfx chip" project?
    I already explained my opinion as to what your (failed) line of reasoning these "arguments" should serve. I'll recap: I think you wanted to illustrate that there couldn't be technically any MPC5200B based board with onboard gfx. Which would mean that the project announcement takemehomegrandma and me were talking of could never have been made.
    Should I be wrong, then please explain the purpose of you bringing into play other MPC5200B based boards.

> and this was clear from the context.

No it was not. First, "*the* 5200B" is hardly to associate with a board when you don't say which specific board (Or did you mean any MPC5200B based board on the planet?). Second, in the sentence before, you were referring to takemehomegrandma's mention of the MPC5200B *processor*. And third, in the next sentence you were referring to the MPC5121e *processor*. That's certainly not "clear", rather being confusing on purpose.

> I wasn't distinguishing the Efika 5200B board from the Freescale
    > 5200B board.

That's why you linked to the Freescale board and not to the Genesi board in a discussion about (announced) Genesi boards?

> All throughout that quote I referred to board not SoC and I did not
    > say *MPC*5200B

It's not unusual to omit the "MPC" prefix with Motorola/Freescale Power Architecture processors, just like it's very usual to omit the "MC" prefix with processors of the 68k line.

Compare:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/+mpc5200b (644 finds)
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/+5200b (104 finds)

But it's certainly *not* usual to call the Efika 5200B or the Lite5200B or any other MPC5200B based board just "5200B". Up to now, the "Efika 5200B" denomination was shortened "Efika". (Of course, with the Efika MX coming up that's going to become ambiguous.)

> and refer to the SoC

Fair enough, but you still don't understand. Even if *I do* accept that by "5200B" you meant "MPC5200B based board", it still doesn't make any sense to me because I still don't know how reference to such other MPC5200B based boards would bear any implication for an "MPC5200B with onboard Volari gfx chip" project or its technical feasibility.

> When I said "5200B device" I also referred to the board.

Yes, and I did understand it exactly that way. Read my reply to that and you'll know.

> It's your imagination running wild that I was using that to build
    > evidence for some case you claim I sought to make to deny the
    > existence of some Genesi announcement and project.

Why do you keep failing to explain what the purpose of those "other 5200B [board]" arguments was? Instead you just keep insisting on what their purpose allegedly wasn't. Suspicious.

> I didn't deny the existence of that.

I still think you were.

> I'm not gathering pieces here and there to try to prove you said it.

I rather would also not have to do that. The problem is that you don't read my posts properly, if at all. You even confessed that. So I have to write and to quote numerous times the same things, else you would just ignore them forever. And without quoting someone it's hard to prove he said it.

> You said it in a short emphatic sentence.

That was because I felt sure of it. But I was wrong. And you are sure that a "5200B [board] has a gfx card slot", that "a 5200B device doesn't have onboard gfx" and that "the reason that onboard graphics means the board couldn't be 5200B [board] is that the 5200B [board] doesn't have onboard graphics".

> I pointed out the error in your logic

It was no error in logic, but lack of knowledge. I simply didn't know about the Atom based LimePC models.

> The next time you call me mixed up and forgetful and whatever I'll
    > be reminding you that I never got so mixed up and forgetful to make
    > such a huge mistake as yours.

If you can prove that I once knew about the Atom based LimePCs and had forgotten about them, you can call me "mixed up" and "forgetful". Else I was just wrong, as I confessed a gazillion times by now.
  • »09.10.09 - 22:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    why don't you guys go on in private ?
    find a common instant messaging program and keep cuddling there.
  • »10.10.09 - 10:11
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 24.04.2011 - 07:15 ]
  • »10.10.09 - 20:32