• Just looking around
    Hmmmm, I personally don't think lack of viable hardware is the only problem facing MorphOs at the moment.

For instance, I own two Efika's and a Pegasos II... and will not use MorphOS. As far as I am concerned, after paying a small fortune for the hardware and then waiting years for a semi-complete version... I will not pay DOUBLE of what a mainstream Os with twice as many features costs.

Sorry, I won't do it - I'm not THAT stupid. Sad truth is, I know quite a few others in the same boat who either use 1.5, work around the 30 minute limit of 2.x demo version, or have moved on to a Linux distro.

I am NOT saying MorphOs should be free, like Aros. What I am saying is that 150 Euro is just stupid, plain stupid. Yes, I know a lot of work went into it, and yes, I know with such a small market the MorphOs team settled on that price to try and recoup some of their time. But at the end of the day, you cannot charge $80,000.00 for a second hand Volkswagon Beetle just because you put it together piece by piece in your spare time over a 10 year period.

As a 'business' they should have looked at the market/potential market and the ACCEPTED price for comparitive products and then desided if there was scope to make money.

Instead, it seems like they were all Amiga fans and thought it would be fun to write/produce an Amiga compatible Os (which is very good I admit).... and then try to recoup their time! Sorry, at 150 euro's I firmly believe only a fraction of Efika and Pegasos users have bothered to upgrade. Nearly every forum where MorphOs 2.x is mentioned a proportion of users state they have not/will not register. Recently Ralph Schmidt told me (via email) that he believed 90% of MorphOs users had registered. 'Da Nile is a river....

Aros is free, runs on modern, cheap easy to find hardware, is updated often, has a great distro (Icaros Desktop) which comes with games, software, utils etc all installed and actually 'feels' more like an Amiga than MorphOs. Whilst Aros is not quite as polished as MOS 2.3 atm, it is so close now that I can see Aros overtaking MOS within the next 12-18 months.

Don't get me wrong, I love MorphOs, but not enough to pay 450 euro's for 3 licenses, with no guarantee of future releases/upgrades, no hardware future and worst of all - licenses tied to hardware!!!!

RIP MorphOs. We will remember you fondly.
  • »11.09.09 - 03:31