• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Genesi and their products no longer have anything to do with MorphOS, so it makes me wonder why Neko posts messages here any longer?

Other than the obvious reason to advertise new Genesi products and try to stir up support from users to persuade the MorphOS Development Team to port MorphOS to what ever Genesi happens to be selling at the moment.

His comments that attempt to discourage and put down the decision of the MorphOS Development Team to port to the MacMini seem to me to be lame and very biased, though he does throw in enough actual facts to make them seem more believable to any that can't see through the intentions behind the comments.

Having MorphOS ported to ANY new hardware will be a plus to the community and the team selling the licenses. But just because the G4 MacMini is long discontinued does not automatically mean it is the death knell of MorphOS, or that it was a mistake to spend the time to do it. It is just a step forward in performance that was MOST LIKELY the easiest and most logical step to make, at the time the decision was made about which port should be done next.

Who knows which hardware platform the team will choose to work on next? Maybe it will be a Mac laptop that has the most similarities to the current port to the MacMini, and as such the easiest to complete quickly, or perhaps it will be something completely different, such as an ARM architecture.

What ever it is, many will disagree and second guess the team for the direction they choose and I don't doubt that if it is not a Genesi product, Neko will have more discouraging rhetoric to share with us about the mistake the team is making and how it will kill off any chance for MorphOS to survive.

Perhaps MorphOS is not "Sustainable" no matter what hardware it is ported to in the long run. Nobody really knows, but only the few remaining of us really care anymore.

Edit: @Kronos, although I like your spirit, I think Neko and many others could shoot dozens of holes in your A500 : MacMini comparison. For one, I doubt that Mac users will be so fond of their G4 MacMini's that they will be trying to keep them alive 20 years after they were first released. Also, in today's society, too many computers, including Macs, are going into the trash when they are no longer useful, and the G4 MacMini will very soon no longer be useful "AS A MAC", though it will do nicely as a MorphOS machine. The problem arises in that 99% of all G4 MacMini owners will never EVER hear about saving their little outdated computers to use MorphOS on, unless we get the word out and make it known that they are worth SOMETHING to our small (tiny) community. Then, instead of having 99% of the old G4 MacMini owners throw theirs in the trash in a few years, only 95% will throw them in the trash. I think I should start some free ads accepting donations of all G4 Macs for recycling to try and save a few from the landfill.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/9/2 20:40 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »03.09.09 - 03:49