• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    It would be nice to have MorphOS running on all kinds of different hardware, including the newest Efika, brand new x86 PC's and Macs, NetBooks and laptops, but the reality is that the size of the MorphOS development team is, what, 20 people, 15, 10, or is it only 5 that can put up serious hours of work on it with the rest just being able to contribute a few hours here and there when they feel like it? They certainly aren't doing it for the money because there isn't any to be made from such a tiny user base. Just some pizza & beer money when you look at the amount that has been made and then spread it over the number of programmers and the amount of time it has taken to make MorphOS and also complete the free updates.

MorphOS started out on PPC for various reasons that made some kind of reasonable sense at that time and the path of least resistance has kept it on PPC, probably at least partly because of the tiny size of the team that is doing all the work on it and the reluctance to take on the increased workload that would be required to port MorphOS to another architecture. That is just a fact of life that there are limited resources (men and hours available to work on this hobby OS) and that it is more work to port the OS to another CPU and architecture than it is to continue porting it to any PPC computers that are available. It is easy for others who only sit on the sidelines watching MorphOS progress slowly to second guess the team and spout their views of what should have been done and which platforms should be ported to next, but none of them are actually doing the work for next to no pay, so they have no idea of exactly just how much trouble and how many hours are involved in doing what has already been completed, or how much more it would take to port to a different architecture and CPU.

Yes, it took maybe 18 months to get a stable port of MorphOS for the Efika and only the development team would know how much longer (or shorter, but I doubt it) it would take them to do a port to ARM, or any x86 hardware. I would think that everyone should take all of these things into their considerations before they criticize the MorphOS development team for not switching to some other platform. I am sure the team would like to have MorphOS on more modern and better performing hardware, but they must weigh the amount of time they think it will take them to complete such a switch against the amount of manpower and time the team has available to perform such a port to a different architecture. I am confident that they will make a switch some day if they can keep the team together, or perhaps get more help to make such a big step possible in a reasonable time frame. Only the development team can know what their resources really are and when the time will be right FOR THEM to make any change.

end rant
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.08.09 - 16:32