• Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    feanor
    Quote:

If there was any confirmation that MorphOS will move to another processor architecture in 201x, this will most certainly not increase interest in the existing PowerPC versions but it could potentially convince some people to maybe not get a Mac Mini G4 now and wait for that yummy MorphOS 5.0 that is to be released at some unspecified point in the future.

What's wrong with keeping a modest roadmap somewhere public? I don't mean exagerations like "MorphOS 3.0 will support SMP, OpenCL, <name your wishlist items here>, etc". I refer to the current PowerPC situation -you know, no new available hardware etc. I wish it was different, but it isnt'. The thing is that sooner or later a decision has to be made, regarding the platform. The MorphOS developers have of course the final word and its their decision, but this secrecy isnt' really doing any good. I don't think they would make a bad choice if they stated eg. a 2-year roadmap of what they think should happen. Heck, they could even discard any comments of their userbase if they wish regarding the roadmap, but at least everyone would know that there is a specific roadmap to be followed. Deviations might happen, but that happens even in huge corporations anyway. It's not a military weapon, it's an OS, ffs! And many people -incl. myself- would see this as some first sign of openness on the part of the creators. Even better, if users (ie registered users, so that it becomes an incentive to get a license) would actually have a say in the decisions, via some kind of poll.

My 2c.
  • »28.08.09 - 11:54
    Profile Visit Website