• Just looking around
    nexus
    @all

thanks for the warm welcome :)

I was quite busy the last days but i managed to work a little bit with my pegasos (and even less ;( with MorphOS). Nevertheless, I'd like to give here some inside in my experience with PegasosII/MorphOS2.2 if allowed.

------------------------------------------------------------

For a start, I had a carefully look into the pegasos book to install Linux next to MorphOS:

Quote:

saddam wrote:
    the pegasos book v2.3 (from luky's site fe.) for all the knowledge about linux on peg2. it works fine (debian, ubuntu, suse).

Thanks to saddam :-)

Alas, the section about the linux installation is a little bit outdated but up-to-date enough to point me to the right bootloader :-)

First, I downloaded the iso-files of the ubunut/xubuntu-powerpc-distribution 8.10 and 9.04, burnt it on a CD and examined the content. To my surprise, there was a pegasos directory in the boot directory and I thought (because of the outdated documentation), that the pegasos is officially supported. Therefore, i tried to boot the CD from SmartFirmware 1.2 on my PegasosII. Unfortunately, that didn't work with none of both distributions. Mainly, because of an error in the boot script (?) because it cannot find the appropriate initrd.img-file. That file is included on the CD but with a different name. To boot the kernel directly doesn't work either. The kernel switches to a framebuffer console and you can see the start of the booting process. But then (when X is started?) you see graphic trash on the screen and nothing happens anymore.

Fortunately, as stated in the pegasos book, I could find here

http://genesi.hu/ubuntu/

an appropriate image to install Intrepid Ibiz (==ubuntu 8.10), burnt it on a CD and booted it from SmartFirmware. Cool! The installation process went smooth and without problems. The only thing which made it quite hard, was the end of the installation. Here you find the information where the kerneal has been installed and what to do in order to start linux on your Pegasos from the fresh installation. Well, these information are simply wrong :-)

I was told that linux can be started by booting the kernel from /pci/scsi/disk@0,0,0:2 with the root-partiton at /dev/sda5.

If I hadn't some knowledge about linux, I would have been stuck know. Well, there's no "/pci/scsi/" in my pegasos :-) and also no "disk@0,0,0:2". To find the boot partion of linux, i had to go to: /pci/ide/disk@0,0:2!

The booting of the kernel does work in the same way as booting from the ubuntu-powerpc-isos, namely, not at all :-) graphic trash is the only thing you can see. :-)

Okay, the pegasos book clearly states to use the boot image at genesi.hu to boot the new kernel. That's great! But it doesn't work either. In the beginning everything looks fine but then suddenly a problem occurs and you find yourself in an sh-shell at ramdisk.

Again, if I hadn't some knowledge about Linux I would have been stuck. After carefully reading the log files in linux, i found out, that the root partion was not found and that the root is not at /dev/sda5 but on /dev/sda4! :-D

(oh, and also the pegasos book is not clear about what a root-partition is or what and how to specify it. So, you have to know about it in order to successfully start linux.)

Yeah, after changing that little detail, everything starts up perfectly! Great! Now I have already 2 operating systems on my PegasosII! (AmigaOS4.1 is still missing. My order has not yet arrived.)

I just wonder what happens if I upgrade from within Linux to a knew kernel or even to the new distribution 9.04? Wether the provided boot-image at genesis.hu works with a new kernel or ubuntu 9.04---I don't know? Has someone experience with it?

The bad thing about Linux on PegasosII is, that the graphical output is somehow slow :-(. Moving windows is ok, but could really be faster. Isn't there any hardware acceleration in X for peg2's graphic card? Linux on a PS3 runs only in a framebuffer without hardware acceleration---and graph output on Linux on a PS3 is not slower as on a pegasosII. And I use the lightweighted window manager XFCE4! NOT that fat gnome or that even fatter, windows-like thing called KDE :-)

(I just did some quick tests, and the "slowness" was my first impression)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, I wanted to have a neat boot menu in order to get rid of these complicated commands to start Linux :-)

Thanks to jacadcaps:

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    for a neat bootmenu I'd recommand the GRUB port by Morgoth:

http://tbs-software.com/morgoth/projects.html

that I found the right tool for it. And it works great!

The only problem here was (and not related to the bootcreater-tool), that I have connected the Pegasos to an KVM switch and that the Smartfirmware doesn't recognice the keyboard connected to the KVM switch. And without keyboard, you don't even see a bootmenu. The firmware simply boots into MorphOS if no keyboard is detected. I took me a while until i realized that and I first thought, the bootcreater menu didn't work. (I have to say, I first installed everything on the Pegasos and after everything worked, I connected it properly with my other Amigas to my single Monitor).

----------------------------------------

Last, I tried to get some software, that I already have on AmigaOS4.1/Sam440ep, to MorphOS. For this, I have an 250GB USB-drive connected to the KVM-switch. In this way, It's easy to switch the usb drive between the machines without the need of plug/unplug it again and again.

I have formated a partition at the end of the usb harddisk first with SFS and later with FFS and copied from Sam440ep's AmigaOS4.1 some games like Wipeout2097 or Quake on it. Then I switched to MorphOS2.2 and treid to copy these games to a local harddisk.

Recognizing the USB drive and the partitions, was not a problem. But copying the files from the USB drive to the local harddisk didn't work properly. Small files can be copied, but huge files (like the ID1-files of quake) doesn't work. The copying of big files freezes the copy-process. And even worse, it causes MorphOS to crash! The mouse-pointer still works, but you cannot stop/break the copy-process and everything becomes very slow. With the right mouse button you sometimes manage to see the menu-bar, but you cannot open or close any windows anymore or even initiate the "restart" menu-entry.

So, I had to press the reset button. The same happens with both filesystems: SFS1 and good old FFS.

Has PegasosII/Poseidon/MorphOS2.2 some issues with USB? It was a surprise to me that it didn't work poperly and that it even crashed MophOS?

But in the end some good news :-) As I told you, I could small files copy from my usb drive. In this way, i managed to copy DirectoryOpus MagellanII to MophOS and it seems to work great on MophOS (it does not on AOS4.1 -> at least not on Sam440ep)! Also Wiepout2097 works with MorphOS (which does not with AmigaOS4.1-> again: at least not on Sam440ep). So, MorphOS seems to be more compatible to 68k/WarpOS-software than AOS4.1 (at least not on Sam440ep. Remember, Sam440ep has not a proper powerpc which should effect at least the warpos emulation)?

regards,

nexus

[ Edited by nexus on 2009/4/28 12:42 ]
    Dye 'em black!
  • »28.04.09 - 12:39