MorphOS on MacMini - Who's bought their Mini already?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @HenryCase,

From all the links and pictures you provided, I would guess that the adapter to convert the MacMini's IDE interface to a SATA hard drive and still have the drive and the adapter fit inside the original MacMini case would not be possible. Everything just seems too tight of a fit inside.

But thanks for the link to the AMUG SuperMini tower case. That seemed to fit well and I could see that being a good idea for a MorphOS3.0 tower with the increased speed provided from 3.5" hard drives and optical drives, instead of the stock MacMini devices. That particular case is probably not available anymore, but there are sure to be many others out there that are very similar. I wonder if a Shuttle PC case would work well, I'll have to take a look.

Of course part of the appeal of the MacMini is it's small size, so I may just stick with the original Apple case, but have been thinking that I might be able to change the plexiglass top to one that has a Butterfly logo instead of the Apple one.

Can anyone that knows more about USB controllers tell me if the G4 MacMini's USB controller can have more than the two USB ports provided? In my limited understanding, it is possible to add, what was it, 256 USB devices to one USB interface? If I were to put my Mini into a tower case, would it be easy to connect 4 USB ports to the MacMini's USB controller? That would be an additional advantage of using a different case for a MorphOS3.0 MacMini.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »20.04.09 - 21:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    ....... Btw. I'm writing this while replacing the 80GB in my Mini with a 160GB one.

Which brand did you get and how much did it cost you? Is 250gb, or 320gb the largest 2.5" hdd available that will work inside the G4 MacMini?

If I don't use a different case and 3.5" devices for my MorphOS G4 MacMini, I will want to upgrade my 80gb hdd to the biggest and fastest hdd I can find, because I will want to make it dual or triple boot (MorphOS3.0/MacOS10.5/Linux - not sure which distribution yet) but then I wonder if I will need to worry about it running hotter and causing problems with a larger, faster hdd?
  • »20.04.09 - 21:14
    Kronos
    @Amigadave

It's a Samsung drive (super-silent) I've just ripped out of my Efika (which will have to live with the 80GB-Seagate issue orginally found in the Mini), so no I don't know what it would cost.

Bout the USB, one can allways add one/some hub(s), that should be enough.
  • »20.04.09 - 21:26
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    HenryCase
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

HenryCase wrote:

Now look at this adapter:
    http://cooldrives.stores.yahoo.net/satoidecofor.html
    Hardly huge is it.

Actually it is quite huge ..... no suprise it's designed for 3.5" drives ....

Fine, how about these in combination:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222115&doy=20m4&C=SO&U=strat15#features
    http://ww2.surma-aho.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1111&osCsid=a80d80aba6e4e67fded457e1fa997523

By the way these boards don't need to be next to the HDD if space is at a premium there, they can be linked to the HDD with cables.

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Even if it were for 2.5" drives, the mini doesn't use an IDE-cable but a small PCB to connect drives and mobo. So you would atleast have to fit some new screw-holes to move the HD further to the front.

You may have a point there. However this page brings hope:
    http://www.macminicenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Core_Internals:Riser
    "It may be that this interconnect shares (largly) the same pinout as the previous ATA-100 interconnect"

@Golem
    Apologies for calling you an idiot before, got caught up in the heat of the moment.

@Piru
    I agree, let's move conversation on.

@all
    As we know the currently planned MorphOS Mac port is for the Mini only. What obstacles do we face in getting MorphOS onto other PPC Macs (G3 onwards)?
  • »20.04.09 - 22:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is 250gb, or 320gb the largest 2.5" hdd available that will work
    > inside the G4 MacMini?

See analogkid's answer to my question (both on page 6 of this thread).
  • »21.04.09 - 00:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Is 250gb, or 320gb the largest 2.5" hdd available that will work
    > inside the G4 MacMini?

See analogkid's answer to my question (both on page 6 of this thread).

Would this, 320.0GB Western Digital "Scorpio" 5400RPM 9.5MM SuperSlim IDE/ATA, be the best hdd to use inside my G4 MacMini (best = largest & fastest)?

Seems to have good specs and claims to be quiet, which would be an added bonus.
  • »21.04.09 - 02:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @amigadave

why don't you get a SSD and use the usb for external storage if you need it?
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »21.04.09 - 05:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    @amigadave:

Yes, right. It's the biggest PATA-drive you could use inside the G4 Mac mini. There is physically no chance of using a SATA drive in the G4 Mac mini. You could also use a SSD, but honestly I see no need for it, since the "Scorpio" is a fast and quiet drive.

[ Edited by analogkid on 2009/4/21 6:52 ]

[ Edited by analogkid on 2009/4/21 9:01 ]
  • »21.04.09 - 06:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    That is what I thought, I might get one.

@HammerD,

I can't seen spending over $700 for a 256gb ssd when the performance difference between that and the hdd I mentioned is not that great for my needs.

In another 3 to 5 years we may all be using solid state drives instead of our conventional hdd's that everyone uses today. I can wait until then.
  • »21.04.09 - 07:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Gentlemen... Why on earth would somebody NEED 750 gigabytes of internal storage?
  • »21.04.09 - 08:18
    Kronos
    @Henrycase

The 2.5-3.5 adapater alone wouldn't fit into the Mini's HD-bay (it's to wide) and no cables are gonna change that (unless you plan to use a new case, but even then a lot of modification are needed).

"shares (largly) the same pinout as the previous ATA-100 interconnect" is about whas on there BESIDES SATA or PATA.
  • »21.04.09 - 08:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Space is definitely available for a bridge:
    > http://katastrophos.net/andre/blog/2006/11/02/the-mac-mini-external-sata-hack/

That would be external HDD again, not internal. Replacing the internal PATA HDD only with the bridge (and cable) and not with bridge plus internal SATA HDD is a no-brainer, again.

> If the cable could be routed internally (there's a chance)

I don't think so.

> then adding internal SATA is possible.

I don't think so, even if the cable could be routed internally.
  • »21.04.09 - 11:42
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    HenryCase
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    "shares (largly) the same pinout as the previous ATA-100 interconnect" is about whas on there BESIDES SATA or PATA.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here. The website I pointed to before indicated that you MAY (notice emphasis on 'may') be able to use the SATA Internal Riser from the newer Mac Minis in the PPC Mac Minis.
  • »21.04.09 - 15:39
    Kronos
    Quote:

HenryCase wrote:
    [ The website I pointed to before indicated that you MAY (notice emphasis on 'may') be able to use the SATA Internal Riser from the newer Mac Minis in the PPC Mac Minis.

No it does not. It only talks about the pinout of the connector that is NOT IDE or SATA.

The controller is on the board, the PCB is a non-flexible cable.
  • »21.04.09 - 15:50
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    HenryCase
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

HenryCase wrote:
    [ The website I pointed to before indicated that you MAY (notice emphasis on 'may') be able to use the SATA Internal Riser from the newer Mac Minis in the PPC Mac Minis.

No it does not. It only talks about the pinout of the connector that is NOT IDE or SATA.

The controller is on the board, the PCB is a non-flexible cable.

If that's the case then a custom connector would be the only reasonable way to get SATA internally supported. Oh well.

[ Edited by HenryCase on 2009/4/21 19:26 ]
  • »21.04.09 - 19:25
    analogkid
    Quote:

if that's the case then a custom connector would be the only reasonable way to get SATA internally supported. Oh well.

Sorry, but what for? It's far less work and more reasonable to use a NAS or an external USB-harddrive to get more space. And speedwise it doesn't make any difference, so why would you "destroy" the advantages of a Mac mini?
  • »22.04.09 - 09:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    Gentlemen... Why on earth would somebody NEED 750 gigabytes of internal storage?

Well, if you want to have multiple boot partitions for MorphOS3.0, AmigaOS4.x, (someday) MacOS10.5, some flavor of Linux and maybe an AmigaOS3.9 partition for use through EUAE to play those old games and applications that are not system friendly enough to run through MorphOS's 68k emulator.

That plus all the mpeg4 files of recorded videos & TV shows plus ripped DVD movies, can eat up hdd space like crazy and though you might not be recording the TV shows directly onto your MacMini, you might want to have all your content files in the same place on one small and easily portable computer that you take everywhere with you (I know you are thinking it would more likely be a laptop than a MacMini, but until MorphOS is announced for any laptop the MacMini will have to do).

We are no longer talking about just our efficient and tightly coded AmigaOS1.0 to 3.9 files and applications that all fit on one 2gb hdd anymore. Today there doesn't seem to be any such thing as "too much storage space". Not when our digital cameras keep getting higher and higher resolutions where single picture files are now measured in megabytes instead of kilobytes and digital video/movie editing becomes increasingly more popular.

I'll probably put the largest available storage device inside my MorphOS MacMini and load all of the above on it just because I don't want to have to spend the high cost of Mac applications for certain tasks and they are not yet available for MorphOS, so my other alternative is Linux, which keeps getting a little better everyday.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/4/22 5:40 ]

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/4/22 5:51 ]
  • »22.04.09 - 13:38
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    HenryCase
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    Quote:

if that's the case then a custom connector would be the only reasonable way to get SATA internally supported. Oh well.

Sorry, but what for? It's far less work and more reasonable to use a NAS or an external USB-harddrive to get more space. And speedwise it doesn't make any difference, so why would you "destroy" the advantages of a Mac mini?

Did I say I was going to build one? No. Can we move on now please? Thanks.
  • »22.04.09 - 14:03
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    montymole
    i should add myself to this list i got a macmini 1.5ghz, didnt come with install disk!(but i have the retail versions)

Also Bought a ide 2.5 7200 seagate for, its only 80gb(will have to get around to cracking the case open and puttin it in there)
    (Have a 60gb same spec in efika :Debian, MorphOS(thinking of buying license,but cant bring myself to at the moment)

i want MorphOS, Os9/Osx(pity skype only runs on this OS), Debain
    so that's 25gb MorphOS : Os9/Osx 30gb : 25gb Linux

all my data seems to be stored on my severs, so i can interchange it between all my computers
    so i only have small drives in most of my machines suits me sir!

A1200 Indivision Aga 64mb 040,,,Efika,,,Macmini,,,Dell 2.8ht sff Optiplex,,,Powermac 800Mhz,,,and a crappy dualcore thats been xp'd,,,pluscom ftp,,,and last a another dell 2.8ht running as another server......but still wanting a A4000 /060........................................
  • »23.04.09 - 20:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Seeing as the thread went a little off topic (or broadened to general mac mini matters depending on how you see things) I thought I'd just update the list:

1. AmigaDave
    2. TheMagicM
    3. Liquidbit
    4. Painkiller
    5. ZB
    6. npanag
    7. Zylesea
    8. Debaser
    9. wolfe
    10. xyphoid
    11. TrevorDick
    12. descreetfx
    13. gleng
    14. Ruud
    15. JohnFante
    16. Toto
    17. analogkid
    18. Downix
    19. dake
    20. igracki
    21. BatteMan
    22. eastone
    23. Acill
    24. plouf
    25. Metalmac (Probably buying parents one)
    26. HammerD
    27. Diskdoctor
    28. Beamish2040
    29. montymole
    30. Santi
    31. Stephen-Robinson (Might use his Mini for MorphOS - he'll be tempted I'm sure)

Members with other Mac hardware who have hopeful looks on their faces ;-) -
    maurensen Powerbook G4@1.67Ghz
    ThePlayer Powerbook G4@1.67Ghz
    trehune IBook G4
    td741 PPC Mac Cube

[ Edited by Ruud on 2009/4/25 9:53 ]
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »24.04.09 - 10:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @ Ruud

I have my Mac Mini G4 now, so you can say I have one for sure :-)
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »25.04.09 - 07:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Quote:

HammerD wrote:
    @ Ruud

I have my Mac Mini G4 now, so you can say I have one for sure :-)

I've edited the list :-)
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »25.04.09 - 09:55
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 13.07.2011 - 10:08 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »25.04.09 - 16:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Nice matching external drive case. I have seen others too, but they were the same height as the Mini too.

I guess it makes more sense to go that route and get the advantage of the faster and bigger 3.5"" inch drives at a lower cost, instead of paying a premium for a better, bigger, faster 2.5 inch hdd.

31 members waiting for MorphOS3.0, not exactly a lot of incentive to get the developers to finish it right away, but I think they are doing it more for themselves, than they are for the money.
  • »25.04.09 - 22:17
    xyphoid
    quote: 31 members waiting for MorphOS3.0, not exactly a lot of incentive to get the developers to finish it right away, but I think they are doing it more for themselves, than they are for the money.

Niko's point about waiting eeerrr seems .. well legit right about now doesn't it? Either way he promised us new hardware which potentially would be MorphOs compliant, but haven't heard anything else. Oh well release another video, or driver update and the list will grow ;-)
  • »26.04.09 - 00:19