Why would I install 4.1 on my Peg2?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    It's now ok to print from wordworth at home. I needed to install it another time from original CD.

So, now I have AmigaWriter + Wordworth working and printing. + A command line tool to convert *.doc files to amiga compatible format.

Last step to be free on a standalone Morphos computer is to save my documents in word format.

This last feature is at this time the only one which needs something like X11 and Abiword. But maybe it's existing a tool to convert wordworth or amigawriter documents to .doc format.

Next application needing attention and work to be able to print is turbocalc.
  • »08.02.09 - 16:48
    serge
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Hi guys

I'm thinking of ordering Amiga os 4.1 for my peg2. Mainly for the cool and fun factor.

My question to you all is this:

What can I run on Os 4.1 I cant on Morphos 2.2? Is there any programs that run better or faster? Is euae built into os4.1? Please advise.

I havent followed OS4 development for some time..

Thanks

dont know if it will run succesfully on pegasos/AmigaOS4.1 but I whish to get FPSE with OpenGL plugin.

I run FPSE sometimes to play R-Type-Delta. This is playable on software render only, but should be real faster with hardware render.
    I'm realy curious about this.
  • »08.02.09 - 18:18
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

serge wrote:
    Last step to be free on a standalone Morphos computer is to save my documents in word format.

This last feature is at this time the only one which needs something like X11 and Abiword. But maybe it's existing a tool to convert wordworth or amigawriter documents to .doc format.

Why not save documents as RTF? Practically all Amiga's word processors can save to it and Micro$oft's programs will read it too.
  • »08.02.09 - 19:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • tom
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    tom
    In Pagestream, really the best DTP-program there is for the Amiga or Morphos, far better then Wordworth and Writer, you can save in PDF. Online you can convert it ot DOC. (e.g.http://www.pdfonline.com/ )

Regards Tom
  • »08.02.09 - 22:25
    serge
    @ jPV:

RTF is not too rich for me.
    It looses all the time the work I do on layout.
    No colors, no pictures, no tables.

I cant create rich documents which are possible with wordworth or amigawriter, then destroying them saving my work under this poor format.

@ tom:

your sollution is interesting. I'll try it but on a first time, I have to get PageStream. I never bought it :-(

Tryed the converter and it's realy good. Not perfect, but much better than saving in RTF from Wordworth.

It seems RTF saving in wordworth is very basicaly supported.

[ Edited by serge on 2009/2/9 12:19 ]
  • »09.02.09 - 11:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    FW97 had quite good support for RTF (I recall...) but the software on PC could not read it well. Fault of PC or Amiga, does not matter, RTF is not usable file format in my opinion...
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »09.02.09 - 14:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    You guys are right. RTF loses formatting. This makes it rather pointless does it not?

Looks like Pagestream is the option and AFAIk they still sell it.

I think they layout Total Amiga with it.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »09.02.09 - 23:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I agree that OS4-depot looks very nice, and it's one of the few things that I have evy for. Lukas' software index for MorphOS is great, but it's not in the same category, although it's just as useful.

I wanted to improve my PHP and SQL skills and did this. Far from finished, but writing the engine was real fun + education. All files are hosted locally (no more non-working links), I have 20 GB of disk space for files (for now). You may be sure I will extend the engine with missing functionality soon.
  • »22.04.09 - 09:03
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    With Google Docs you are able to create and edit Word files, and with latest OWB you could also use it under MorphOS. Surely it's no full replacement for a full-featured word processor, but it's better than nothing.
  • »22.04.09 - 09:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    thx krashan for this site. looks promising!
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »22.04.09 - 10:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:
    I agree that OS4-depot looks very nice, and it's one of the few things that I have evy for. Lukas' software index for MorphOS is great, but it's not in the same category, although it's just as useful.

I wanted to improve my PHP and SQL skills and did this. Far from finished, but writing the engine was real fun + education. All files are hosted locally (no more non-working links), I have 20 GB of disk space for files (for now). You may be sure I will extend the engine with missing functionality soon.

Nice work!
    I'd been thinking about proposing a project for a MorphOS equivelent to os4depot. It's very useful having virtually all files/apps in one place. I think it would make things easier for new users.
    I would offer my help but as I'm no web developer I don't know how I could be of any use.
    If you wanted to expand the site into a full on archive maybe I could purchase a domain name as a contribution?
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »22.04.09 - 16:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I've added some features like paging for search result and category browsing and some nicer header (I want to avoid heavy graphics, as I want to keep the page fast). There is also more files...

Update: Fixed layout bugs on Windows browsers (checked with Opera and MSIE 6).

[ Edited by Krashan on 2009/4/23 6:59 ]
  • »22.04.09 - 20:02
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    Quote:

Why would I install 4.1 on my Peg2?

Because you can! ;-)

TrevorD
  • »22.04.09 - 22:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    If you wanted to expand the site into a full on archive maybe I could purchase a domain name as a contribution?

Well, it becomes a full featured archive. It has search, it has recent, it has browsing by category (click on category of any file), the next thing is to add a page with category tree (not very difficult). The site had it's first professional security audit (two security holes found and fixed, not critical, but anyway) :-).

I plan to add a form, where users can propose a file to be added. I rather prefer quality over quantity however. Not every SDL game port or 5-lines "killer app" is worth archiving (of course there are some great SDL games, some are in the archive already). I also do not plan to archive music modules, pictures, "Bible in AmigaGuide" stuff etc., Aminet is full enough of these. Only MorphOS software, with exception for 68k applications working well on MorphOS and having no native counterparts.

Of course a domain would be a very welcomed contribution. I can set up a virtual host on Apache server then.
  • »23.04.09 - 07:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:
    Of course a domain would be a very welcomed contribution. I can set up a virtual host on Apache server then.

Just checked availability and (no surprise) morphosfiles.com/org/net etc is all available. Shall I go ahead and register one and then forward you the details? Or would you rather I gift you the money for it via paypal?
  • »23.04.09 - 11:30
  • Just looking around
    nexus
    The reason is:

To get a differnt few on the things you like!

From my first impression, MophOS works different from AmigaOS4.1, even though both try to keep amiga-like :-) I don't want to say, the one is better or worse then the other rather that both give me different possiblities and that's very good :-)

MorphOS's Ambient may have some much more improved functionality but it's (default) "look" is not as amiga-like as AmigaOS4.1's Workbench is (in my opinion at least). What i really miss is to move windows out of the screen or screen draggin itself. On the other hand, you can iconify all windows.

Both Ambient and Workbench has strong and weak features but I believe both will help me enjoing the amiga experience :-) .. and that on different ways!

I never understood why people "hate" the one and only "love" the other or even worse, try to fight the non-liked OS. Our community should work together and lern from each other. I guess, i have a to naiv/romantic few on the amiga community but that's the reason why I'm still here :-)

So, I really recommend all PegasosII owners to get AmigaOS4.1. It cannot harm you or MorphOS but it can help improve you having fun with your Pegasos and also it can help MorphOS developers to find new ideas!

If MorphOS were available for Sam440ep, I'd also recommend to AOS4.1-users to buy MorphOS.

Open your mind :-)

nexus
    Dye 'em black!
  • »28.04.09 - 13:25
    Golem
    Quote:

What i really miss is to move windows out of the screen

Hold control pressed while dragging and check prefs -> icontrol if you want to change the default behaviour.

Quote:

So, I really recommend all PegasosII owners to get AmigaOS4.1.

I might have taken a look if it wasn't for this buy before you try thing... unfortunately I see no obvious benefit, so I'll probably let the money go towards MorphOS instead.
  • »28.04.09 - 13:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    @Golem

I can understand your attitude. Although it's probably not that difficult to imagine what AOS4.1 is like as it's like OS3.9 only quite a bit better :-)
  • »28.04.09 - 20:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Quote:

nexus wrote:
    MorphOS's Ambient may have some much more improved functionality but it's (default) "look" is not as amiga-like as AmigaOS4.1's Workbench is (in my opinion at least). What i really miss is to move windows out of the screen or screen draggin itself. On the other hand, you can iconify all windows.

I use the ImAZ skin for Ambient with Ken's Icons which I think gives quite a nice Amiga look. Available from www.five-star.com if you're interested. It would be nice to have screen dragging but it's not so important with modern screen resolutions. As has already been mentioned dragging off screen is available in Ambient.
    The universal iconify is a very nice feature.

Quote:

I never understood why people "hate" the one and only "love" the other or even worse, try to fight the non-liked OS. Our community should work together and lern from each other. I guess, i have a to naiv/romantic few on the amiga community but that's the reason why I'm still here :-)

I don't understand it either. It seems there always has to be at least two "sides".
  • »28.04.09 - 20:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Sonic works since some years on bootx which is supposed to boot
    > MACOSx nativly on pegasos. Dont know what is the state of the dev.

Actual (and final) state of affairs mentioned there:

http://obligement.free.fr/articles_traduction/itwfedin_en.php
  • »24.10.11 - 19:48
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    Audio evolution is also on Morphos according to the author site
    http://www.audio-evolution.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=7

Kamel
  • »25.10.11 - 12:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Audio evolution is also on Morphos according to the author site

...as well as according to MorphZone:

https://morph.zone/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1792
    https://morph.zone/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1836

;-)
  • »25.10.11 - 17:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    @Nexus: For screendragging you can use dragon ( think its located in Aminet - I'm not sure.....). It gives screen dragging on CGFX based systems and works well on MOS 2.x!
    Take also a look at scube ( http://morphos-files.net/find.php?find=scube ) - I think this will give you a smile in your face......
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »25.10.11 - 20:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > dragon ( think its located in Aminet - I'm not sure.....).

It's not on Aminet but on its website: http://amigazeux.net/dragon/
  • »25.10.11 - 21:20