Why would I install 4.1 on my Peg2?
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    samo79
    Well, the major reason IMHO to use both systems on the same machine are the ability to use certain application that miss in the other OS, and this is the case of my applications list, Horny, Audio Evolution, X11 and so on for example aren't availible on MorphOS altrough you may have a similar software that doing quite the same, so if you are curious you can use that applications on OS4

The same things if MorphOS will be released on AmigaOne or Sam440, I will buy a copy for sure
    BACK FOR THE FUTURE

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture
  • »04.02.09 - 17:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    Quote:

Why would I install 4.1 on my Peg2?

Because you can! ;-)

TrevorDick
  • »04.02.09 - 17:05
  • Targhan
    I think the matter of doing something like that really comes down to affordability vs. value. If you would like to run 4.1, and you can afford to do so--then the question is "why not?" The same for MorphOS running on the SAM. If you can do it, and you can afford to do so--the real question is "why not?"

In other words, if you can get more use out of your hardware through the use of an additional OS--why not. Think of the number of dual-boot (or even tri-boot) x86 machines out there.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »04.02.09 - 19:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Hello All,

As someone who used to have both, I personally prefer OS4. Not that MorphOS isn't excellent, I just prefer OS4. I didn't want to sell the Pegasos, but I really needed the money. If MorphOS came out for the AmigaOne, I'd probably buy it.

Anyway, the main things i'd miss (other than OS4 itself) if I swapped to MorphOS entirely would be:

1) PFTP. I don't think there are any graphical FTP clients for MOS with equivalent functionality.

2) CodeBench. Its just great.

But in any event, if MorphOS ran on any of my computers (I have an A4000PPC, but its so tired and cronky i don't use it much), I would definately have both, just because they're both cool.
    Pegasos 1 April 2, MorphOS 1.4.5
    AmigaOne XE/G4, OS4 Beta
    Various classic machines
  • »04.02.09 - 19:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    weiseb
    @xeron

> Anyway, the main things i'd miss (other than OS4 itself) if I swapped to
    > MorphOS entirely would be:
    > 1) PFTP.

I guess this would not be a problem for long if YOU switched to Morphos ;)
  • »04.02.09 - 20:18
    guruman
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    @ Samo79

The same is true if MorphOS was avaialble for the A1 or Sam. The benefit to install MorphOS when you *already* have OS4 on that maschine installed is lim->0.

I don't really agree with that... While the list samo79 provided really didn't have anything that justify 105 Euro+VAT expense (GIMP under X11 is a joke, AP, until it at least supports saving in different formats and all external modules). Most programs have equivalents on MorphOS, often also superior (MPlayer with GUI, new OWB, Ambient or the possibility to use Magellan, AmiNetRadio...), or are not really that useful to me.
    On the other hand, I'd miss Blender, MLDonkey, Pixel (that is more stable under 2.x), ShowGirls... Not much, but some of the best things we have. And if I need some fun, no Freespace2, no Homeworld, no VGP2, no Robin Hood, and shall we talk about the Quakes, or quality of MAME port?
    Not saying the OS itself is not interesting, and I am not curious... Just that I can't justify it for applications, while I somewhat justify a bit more MorphOS.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »04.02.09 - 21:42
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    samo79
    @Guruman

>>>
    I don't really agree with that... While the list samo79 provided really didn't have anything that justify 105 Euro+VAT expense
    >>>

To be honest, from this point of view there's no reason to spend that money for all Amiga operative system, MorphOS include, but hei we are amigans, We spend our money on Amiga often for an affective value because with 105 euros we have Windows with tons of softwares (i'm not talk about OS per se, just software)

>>>
    AmiNetRadio...), or are not really that useful to me.
    On the other hand, I'd miss Blender, MLDonkey, Pixel (that is more stable under 2.x), ShowGirls... Not much, but some of the best things we have. And if I need some fun, no Freespace2, no Homeworld, no VGP2, no Robin Hood, and shall we talk about the Quakes, or quality of MAME port?
    >>>

It is quite fruitless to made a compare, you can find easily someone that say, on OS4 there are DvPlayer, Audio Evolution, Digital Universe and on ...

The better solution for our community IMHO is *join the force* and work togheter for Amiga per se (I don't meant AmigaOS as copirighted name but AMIGA as community)

Just my 2 cents ...
    BACK FOR THE FUTURE

• »04.02.09 - 22:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    There's stellarium on MorphOS btw (as an "equivalent" to digital universe). Its approach is more catchy (opengl display), but it's maybe less complete (tho the latest 0.9.x version changed that a lot).
  • »04.02.09 - 23:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    fab: does that 0.9.x version available for morphos yet?
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »04.02.09 - 23:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    I would prefer to install MacOS than AmigaOS 4.1 :D

But still have not got an eassy way to do that :-(

I should try harder :D
  • »05.02.09 - 07:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

xeron wrote:
    1) PFTP. I don't think there are any graphical FTP clients for MOS with equivalent functionality.

I still think that DopusFTP is the best graphical ftp client (at least for me, again) and it works just fine on MorphOS while it doesn't work on OS4 (Magellan is one major reason why I haven't ever considered OS4 as main option for me). Only thing it's missing is SFTP and PFTP is unique on that area on amigaish systems. Luckily _I_ haven't needed SFTP support ever and there's shell client for that if I'd need... but I wouldn't complain about graphical client supporting SFTP for MorphOS, because there probably is people needing it :)
  • »05.02.09 - 11:36
    Profile Visit Website
    serge
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Hi guys

I'm thinking of ordering Amiga os 4.1 for my peg2. Mainly for the cool and fun factor.

My question to you all is this:

What can I run on Os 4.1 I cant on Morphos 2.2? Is there any programs that run better or faster? Is euae built into os4.1? Please advise.

I havent followed OS4 development for some time..

Thanks

Hi magnetic

I'll get AmigaOS4.1 for my peg like you. Her are my reasons.

Firts of all : for fun cause I like the idea having the RED and BLUE worlds on the best AmigaNG existing on the world. I talk about our loved PEGASOS 2.

second: because I need to use .doc documents. Some people will tell we have command line tools to convert .doc to morphos compatible software, but they dont explain who to save your work on this standard format. I use my pegasos to communicate to industrial people and I'm obliged to give .doc documents. OS4.1 can do it with help of X11 "alien" applications.

third: AmigaOS4 have an old printing system, but a realy working system.
    Most of morphos applications just cant print.

then: I use ProstationAudio on Morphos, but unfortunatly, this is very old and very slow. AmigaOS4 have the AudioEvolution which is newer and faster.

more: Workbench is realy very old and need to be updated compared to Ambient which is years away. But, 3D layers realy better implemented on AmigaOS4. It's a real pleasure to use the workbench with transparency hability. Ambient is realy better than workbench, but if you try to use Lucy to active Transparency, this is not very well thinked and you have unconfortable effetcs. This unconfortable effetcs dont exists on AmigaOS4.

and more: AmigaOS4 community is today more active in comparison to morphos community.
    There's all weeks news about amigaOS4 stuff, but Morphos stuff development slows down a lot. Fortunatly, FAB realesed his work with OWB, this is the last nice news I read about Morphos stuff since a lot of time.

and more: I tested AmigaOS4.1 recently on a SAM and I was very surprised with the AmigaOS stability. Applications crashing dont crash all the time the system. We can fell the better memory system than on the past. The system is stable like Morphos.
    The only thing I didnt liked on the SAM system was his lesspower compared to my Pegasos 2 / morphos. This is normal cause SAM is realy slower, but this configuration is realy faster than EFIKA.

and more another time: AmigaOS gives the possibility to use MMU stuff and this is needed to develop virtualised systems like shapeshifter did it on AmigaOS3.9.
    I dream about a softwre doing the same like shapshifter on AmigaOS4 to run macos and other system at the same time with Amigaos. This is not possible with Morphos.

And more: The ability to share files with windows networks. There's a realy working samba port on AmigaOS4. I know there's a work in progress to port samba to morphos, but it is not her at this time.

Today I have the chance to use this Amiga system on my prefered machine, so I WANT to buy it and travel through the RED and BLUE worlds together.

to end this list:
    I know the superiority of Morphos today and this is my favorit amiga system, but my mind is Amiga opened. I dont want to put my brain on a nice blue closed box and forget what's happening elsewhere (AmigaOS4, AROS, E-UAE and why not Linux, Windows, MacosX).

Open your mind and share your feelings with over peoples.

Quote:

CountRaven wrote:
    I would prefer to install MacOS than AmigaOS 4.1 :D

But still have not got an eassy way to do that :-(

I should try harder :D

Sonic works since some years on bootx which is supposed to boot MACOSx nativly on pegasos.
    Dont know what is the state of the dev.

[ Edited by serge on 2009/2/5 16:43 ]
  • »05.02.09 - 15:14
    serge
    sorry for this empty message

[ Edited by serge on 2009/2/5 16:41 ]
  • »05.02.09 - 15:36
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

third: AmigaOS4 have an old printing system, but a realy working system.
    Most of morphos applications just cant print.

Why are most os4 users using turboprint then? :)
    IMO the situation is just the same in both. Printing support was always quite weak in most applications, and i don't see a difference in OS4.
    Saying MorphOS applications can't print is also quite wrong, really. It's just the same.

Quote:

more: Workbench is realy very old and need to be updated compared to Ambient which is years away. But, 3D layers realy better implemented on AmigaOS4. It's a real pleasure to use the workbench with transparency hability. Ambient is realy better than workbench, but if you try to use Lucy to active Transparency, this is not very well thinked and you have unconfortable effetcs. This unconfortable effetcs dont exists on AmigaOS4.

workbench and ambient are *totally* unrelated to 3d layers and transparency. I don't use lucy, but what kind of issues do you have with it exactly? Isn't it just about some conflicting hotkeys (that can be set in lucy prefs anyway)?

Quote:

and more: AmigaOS4 community is today more active in comparison to morphos community.
    There's all weeks news about amigaOS4 stuff, but Morphos stuff development slows down a lot. Fortunatly, FAB realesed his work with OWB, this is the last nice news I read about Morphos stuff since a lot of time.

Depends what you call news, tho. Plain recompilations of shell tools or (bad) sdl games don't deserve news items imo, and generally don't in morphos news. If you remove this kind of news from os4 sites too, then you see development situation is quite equal (i.e very calm).

Quote:

and more another time: AmigaOS gives the possibility to use MMU stuff and this is needed to develop virtualised systems like shapeshifter did it on AmigaOS3.9.
    I dream about a softwre doing the same like shapshifter on AmigaOS4 to run macos and other system at the same time with Amigaos. This is not possible with Morphos.

But there's no such software on OS4 either. And it has yet to be demonstrated it could work.

Quote:

And more: The ability to share files with windows networks. There's a realy working samba port on AmigaOS4. I know there's a work in progress to port samba to morphos, but it is not her at this time.

Smbfs works without any trouble, and Samba (the server) 2.0.x works just fine on MorphOS.
  • »05.02.09 - 16:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    samo79
    Hi Fab,

>>>
    Depends what you call news, tho. Plain recompilations of shell tools or (bad) sdl games don't deserve news items imo, and generally don't in morphos news. If you remove this kind of news from os4 sites too, then you see development situation is quite equal (i.e very calm).
    >>>

Yep it is not completly true, if you look at the recent (just latest 2-3 week release on OS4Depot) you can admit that there aren't just SDL crap games or plan reconpilations:

This is for example the first page of OS4Depot today:

alt_tab_switcher
    make-bin.lha
    photoframe-docky.lha
    splint.lha
    owb.lha
    amisounded.lha
    distcc-bin.lha
    wookiechat.lha
    expat.lha
    mplayer-gui.lha
    abc-shell.lha
    ffmpeg.lha
    ffmpeggui.lha
    pidgin.lha
    srec.lha
    fuelgauge.lha
    wbpreview.lha
    compilergui.lha
    gus_soundfont.lha
    sdl_mixer.lha

Are these crap or plane software ?

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=recent
    BACK FOR THE FUTURE

• »05.02.09 - 17:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    >AmigaOS4 have an old printing system, but a realy working system.
    >Most of morphos applications just cant print.

Well, thats bullshit.

First you compare two different things. Your print system works, but most MorphOS applications can't print. If that is true, than I can sit as fast as the fastest man can run 100m. Yeah, makes also no sense.

Second: MorphOS can print out of the box using TurboPrint. MorphOS even supports printing over network and usb and the needed stuff is included.

I can print from every application where it makes sense. CubicIDE (golded), DevPac, APDF and even Ambient. Other applications are known to support printing and are working very well.

Geit

[ Edited by geit on 2009/2/5 18:51 ]
  • »05.02.09 - 17:35
    serge
    Quote:

Fab wrote:

Quote:

workbench and ambient are *totally* unrelated to 3d layers and transparency. I don't use lucy, but what kind of issues do you have with it exactly? Isn't it just about some conflicting hotkeys (that can be set in lucy prefs anyway)?

No, There's no realy problems. I talk about the way transparency is applyed to windows.
    On OS4, When a windows is activated, there's 100% opacity for the main part of the window, but not for title barre which have a little transparency.
    When the window is deselected, the transparency is applyed to all the window content at the same transparency. There's a transparency priority for the different elements of the window. When you move a window, this is very very transperent.
    Lucy on Morphos applies the same transparency for the windows content and for the borders which is not very nice.
    Since I Morphzone user give me a modified skin with transparency on the title barre, I'm managing to get an effect near the effect did by OS4. Adding skin transparency and Lucy, I get more design transparency effetcs. Unfortunatly, Morphos seems to be a bit more unstable with Lucy, so I dont use it when I do critical operations.

Quote:

Quote:

the only 2 interesting news I saw this last months about Morphos stuff were Mplayer with GUI and OWB which are developed by my prefered coder. unfortunatly, I dont see other things. On OS4 side, there's lot of OWB updates, CodeBench, Pidgin was updated recently, AmiUpdate was recently updated and is realy used compared to Morphup which was saddly forgeted by the community.

Quote:

Quote:

But there's no such software on OS4 either. And it has yet to be demonstrated it could work.

If I cant do it with Morphos cause it's just impossible, so I prefer pray a little to give it a day with AmigaOS4.

I wish having a virtual pegasos inside of my morphos to be able to run other operating systems without leaving my prefered system ;-) This way, we dont need X11 alien stuff under MOS ;-)
    And I'm agry with you, the possibility doing it under AmigaOS4 have to be demonstrated, but at this time nothing does it impossible.

Maybe I'll run Morphos inside of AmigaOS4 on the futur ;-)

Quote:

Quote:

Smbfs works without any trouble, and Samba (the server) 2.0.x works just fine on MorphOS.

I know about smbfs, I use it and it works, but not perfectly. Usualy, if you mount more than 2 or 3 shares and unmount then, most of time smbfs crashes the system.
    About the server, there are smoe threads about people asking which server works and the good way to use it with the Morphos TCP/IP stack, but nobody was able to answer to this questions. I participated to this threads on morphzone, amigaimpact and meta-morphos.

On OS4 side, there's a package to install samba and a tuto to get it working. There's to a tool to surf windows networks and using shares with a GUI.

Unfortunatly, I tryed Tango 68k under morphos to do the same, but this GUI is buggy.

I'm totaly agry with the superiority of Morphos, but we cant tell OS4 dont have anything better than Morphos cause it's not true.
  • »05.02.09 - 18:41
      serge
      Quote:

geit wrote:

I can print from every application where it makes sense. CubicIDE (golded), DevPac, APDF and even Ambient. Other applications are known to support printing and are working very well.

Geit

sorry, but I dont have any word processor printing at this time with graphic mode under morphos.

Sorry, but this is a must feature.

Only Amigawriter is printing on "texte mode only" at home. Impossible to get a little logo on poor document. sorry, but I cant tell this a working printing system.

But, maybe you know who to get it working ! so tell me please caus I need it.

I have a canon i 685 connected by USB.

The only application printing graphics is graphicPublisher acompaning Turboprint.

FXpaint dont print, ArtEffect dont print ... Dont tryed showgirl.

OUPS, sorry, this morphos tool dont have printing feature.

[ Edited by serge on 2009/2/5 19:50 ]

[ Edited by serge on 2009/2/5 19:56 ]
    • »05.02.09 - 18:48
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      "hen: I use ProstationAudio on Morphos, but unfortunatly, this is very old and very slow. AmigaOS4 have the AudioEvolution which is newer and faster."

forget about audio evolution. its development stopped afaik and it costs money. but theres hd-rec which is available in morphos version too, free and its much-much better then audioevolution (at least guiwise, but its a really advanced cubase-like audio app). superfast on morphos!
      DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
      240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
      -=-=-=-
      amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
      -=-=-=-=-
      zx.spectrum@3.5
    • »05.02.09 - 18:51
      Profile Visit Website
    • Fab
    • MorphOS Developer
      Fab
      @Samo,

of course not, I haven't said that. I just say that one has also to consider the nature of what's uploaded, and that goes for both sides. Sometimes you can see on aminet some "floods" of SDL thingies, not really polished. That's what i'm talking about.

Now about what you list here, it's fine. And you can easily see with: http://morphos.lukysoft.cz/en/vypis.php?nov=true that you can see similar amount of software for MorphOS in the same time frame.

@Serge

What about WordWorth btw? Doesn't it print?

you should be able to print with ambient itself, AFAIK (with text and image views, by pressing printscreen key).

EDIT: damn, geit wrote it already. :)

[ Edited by Fab on 2009/2/5 19:03 ]
    • »05.02.09 - 18:59
      Profile Visit Website
    • Targhan
      Excuse my interruption of the comparative arguments, but I feel the need to comment on the fact of the matter. That fact is simple: this thread proves that people can actually discuss the pros and cons of OS4.x and MorphOS without the discussion turning into a troll's bonfire. (Well a few heated statements in here, but overall--this is a good thread.)

BRAVO you guys. I just cannot emphasize enough that in years past we would never have seen a thread like this, at least without a heap of name-calling and finger pointing. Good job, and have fun with both ;-)
      :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
    • »05.02.09 - 19:15
      Profile Visit Website
      serge
      Quote:

sadddam wrote:
      "hen: I use ProstationAudio on Morphos, but unfortunatly, this is very old and very slow. AmigaOS4 have the AudioEvolution which is newer and faster."

forget about audio evolution. its development stopped afaik and it costs money. but theres hd-rec which is available in morphos version too, free and its much-much better then audioevolution (at least guiwise, but its a really advanced cubase-like audio app). superfast on morphos!

Thank you saddam,

Unfortunatly, i never managed to get HD-REC working on morphos without crashing after few operations.
      I did a try some years ago. I think the MOS version is realy better thant the 68k I tested. But I dont know where to get it :-( do you have a link to hte mos version please? thank you very much.
    • »05.02.09 - 19:27
      serge
      Quote:

Fab wrote:

@Serge

What about WordWorth btw? Doesn't it print?

you should be able to print with ambient itself, AFAIK (with text and image views, by pressing printscreen key).

EDIT: damn, geit wrote it already. :)

never could print something properly with Wordworth at home. Lot of blank pages, some parts of my texte with lot of other code.. Black blocks. Realy strange.

I'm happy to learn about the print feature of Ambient. This could be a nice way to show quickly ambient containt to people without computer. I needed it by the past.
    • »05.02.09 - 19:33
    • jPV
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      jPV
      Quote:

serge wrote:
      sorry, but I dont have any word processor printing at this time with graphic mode under morphos.

I can print in graphic mode from Amiga Writer, Final Writer, Pagestream etc just fine on MorphOS.

I haven't tried printing from paint programs, but I can try after weekend.

Also IBrowse prints nicely pages with graphics by using postscript mode.

I'm using networked Lexmark Optra E312L laser printer if you want to check specs...
    • »05.02.09 - 20:39
      Profile Visit Website
    • tom
    • Acolyte of the Butterfly
      Acolyte of the Butterfly
      tom
      I'm using Pagestream together with Studio2.2 for printing. Studio (originaly wrote for the old Amiga) does stil a fine job. Better printing then Turboprint. The only problem is that its development has stopped years ago, so only old printers are usable, but even on an old HP600 printing is really good. Nowadays I use Pagestream on my PegII, export as pdf and use my Imac to print on a laserprinter (Brother HL 2050). Even Pagestream 4.1 is still far better then Pages or Neo-office on Imac (in my opninon).

regards Tom
    • »05.02.09 - 21:03