Amiga OS 4.1 for Pegasos II
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    What's X11 particularly good for? Slowing down the maschine? Abiword doesn't fulfill my office needs. They are either that special that only MS Office and (nearly) OOo does meet my needs or that basic that Amigawriter/Wordworth/some online office is sufficient.
    But if I need to boot into OS4/X11 to run Abiword I am not able to simultaneously use MorphOS. If I have the office stuff on another maschine (be it my OS X G4 Mini, my Linux Eee or my old Win Laptop) I simulatneously can use MorphOS. That's a plus IMO.
    For curiosity i'd like to check OS 4 out (last time I used it myself was 2004 or so, dunno exactly), but except from that I fail to see the benefit for me. I think I already have too many systems around here that's enough of a mess already and I am thinking of ditching QNX and Win (incl WinUAE OS 3.9) or OS X to strip my diversity down to a friendlier level.

And regarding the boing ball. Well, once upon a time I had Amiga posters on my room's walls and wore an Amiga T-shirt (AT, not that AI rip off cupon thing). But these days are long, long over. In fact I don't like the boing ball too much any more, but really, really like the butterfly (well I am a biologist).
    The entire AOS design seems so "stale" to me, I rather like the fresh approach of MorphOS.

Oh dear, sounds like a blue troll (I am to some extent), but while I am sure AOs 4.x is not *my* 1st choice I generally welcome OS 4.x on the Pegasos. One thing is clear, if there wouldn't be MorphOS, I would use AOS 4.
    But MorphOS crossed my way earlier than OS4 (no wonder it's older I use it since the 0.4 version) and it convinced me quite well. But taste differs and I respect that.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »31.01.09 - 23:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Zylesea, this AmigaOS4.1 is good for our platform anyway.
    All the posiblities are welcome, call it AmigaOs flavour or diferent
    Linux distributions. It's a good sign from Hyperion towards our
    hardware platform.
    No one needs to moan about it.
    It's great news for Pegasos owners, more software, a higher
    action range.
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »31.01.09 - 23:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I am posting this at the Belgian Amiga Club's 5th anniversary: A Peg 2 that had both MOS 2.2 and AOS 4.1 was shown here... it worked very well.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »01.02.09 - 00:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    diezi7, if you read my entire post you'd noticed that I actually welcoe AOS 4 on the Pegasos. Freedom of choice is always highest on my agenda. While my current choice is clear, I am always be happy to actually have a choice. And I am happy for everyone else to be able to chose.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »01.02.09 - 00:06
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    If X11 allows me to use as close to industry
    standard software on the platform I
    choose to use so be it. I have a mac
    (now) and run OO through X11 I have Vista
    don't care much for it so I use it when
    necessary. I have classic for my gaming
    fix, and the efika which if MorphOS gets
    such ports, or capabilities, then
    who needs to use a different comp to do
    different things if it can be done sat-
    isfactory on one? If I'm word processing
    and have to boot into an X11 environment
    so be it When I get done...save, and
    reboot if that's the case. Let's not forget
    OS4 has a true company...this port is good
    news and wont hurt the community. All the
    amiga variations help.... Now I'm off to
    boot aros on my efika
    l8r chaps!

posted with sputnik....and maybe soon owb :-)

[ Edited by xyphoid on 2009/1/31 19:19 ]
  • »01.02.09 - 00:15
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ssolie
    I wonder if anybody around here will want to sell their Peg2 now?
    AmigaOne X1000 + AmigaOne 500 (1.2 GHz) + AmigaOne XE (7455)
    Amiga Users of Calgary (AMUC)
  • »01.02.09 - 01:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    @ssolie

With 4.1 available everyone should be dumping them any day now.
  • »01.02.09 - 01:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Kind of makes you wonder if they are already on their way to port AOS to Mac hardware also. I also remember reading that hyperion would be porting to PS3 also. Now that would really be an effort if they pull that of.

Oh well they should also be working on to get WB updated it has long way to come even close with ambient. They also have a very out dated prefs system etc. One thing they do have better than MOS is the dev support, but hopefully it will be swithing to a more multiplatform development after this so that every one can have the best from both worlds.
  • »01.02.09 - 03:53
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Slayer
    Always the same thing

those who want to stick with MOS are those who never really had enough AmigaOS spirit anyway, and good luck to you

But those who really enjoyed using AmigaOS this is a good thing for you and I'm sure I don't have to tell you that

I'm not sure how it makes me feel really but usually I don't care about things out of my control

I have a SAM and AmigaOS hasn't been snappier, cleaner or more fun to use

I can't wait till another system comes out, 2gig processor and 2-4gig memory should do it... there really isn't much need for anything else...

I just hope they don't supply AmigaOS to any other system otherwise it sort of make having any custom hardware a complete waste of time/money for all of us
  • »01.02.09 - 04:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Rudei
    Quote:

Golem wrote:
    @ssolie

With 4.1 available everyone should be dumping them any day now.

Wow, that's a comment I didn't expect from a moderator. :-?

@thread

I welcome this move, although I wish it would have been done years ago. Hope to see MorphOS for my "broken hardware" AmigaOne at some point, looks polished.

Rude!
  • »01.02.09 - 08:52
    Senex
    Quote:

Wow, that's a comment I didn't expect from a moderator.

Why not - it makes sense: sell your Pegasos II for a really good price quickly (i.e. until OS4 for Mac is available), buy a cheap PowerPC Mac likely to be supported by either MorphOS or both - and you'll end up with a more powerful machine plus some additional spare cash.
  • »01.02.09 - 09:04
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    @Rudei

Huh? :)
  • »01.02.09 - 09:12
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    Well well it is obvious that the ultimate Peg2 machine can νος run them all. So stick on your Pegasos for the ultimate Amiga experience. Freedom of choice is good and of course I will try AmigaOS 4.1 as an alternative letting MorphOS be my main and my favorite OS so far.

The benchmarks would point where AmigaOS 4.1 runs faster and smoother. Samantha may have 266mhz RAM and SATA hard disks, but the 1Ghz of a Peg2 G4 can still give enough power, even G# is powerful enough. Speaking of hardware issues Gigabit Ethernet and firewire are not yet supported by 4.1, just to note it down.

I bought a Samantha to see this new AmigaOS 4.1, it is a very pretty machine alright, but I feel kind of wasted now cause I am able to run this OS on my Peg. If I knew it earlier I would not have spent the money for SAM.

On the other hand the official support of 4.1 on Pegasos platfor could set the woods on fire from Genesis?s part to make a new official support for the model or perhaps restart the Pegasos series with a new model? New hardware or upgrades will be cool BUT letting MorphOS be the first choice and AmigaOS to be an alternative or parallel official solution.

On the other hand let me put a theory and ask if there is a possibility for MorphOS support on Samantha hardware as well? I know that this has been discussed a lot in the past mentioning the low hardware specs and the desire of almost MorphOS community to see Mac platform supported? BUT MorphOS could probably be presented as an optional solution for the Samantha hardware as well, showing that it has nothing less than AmigaOS that now runs into both platforms. This way we could bring all those new Samantha users to our blue world even for a testing?

Well I am a blue troll to death?

But I guess that freedom of choice is good in any case?

MorphOS rules!

[ Edited by CountRaven on 2009/2/1 10:20 ]
  • »01.02.09 - 10:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    It's always interesting to see competition but I am wondering who will buy this. Users who just bought MorphOS 2 won't be keen to spend money on another OS that does the same thing. The people who didn't buy 2.2 because they couldn't afford it, will hardly be able to buy AOS, especially in this world credit situation.

Anyway, AFAIK, MorphOS team aren't under threat of legal action. If Hyperion loses the case to AI then isn't it possible that they would have to reduce their level of support or even drop the whole thing ?

IMO, wait for the court case to be cleared up is better unless you are happy to make a one-off purchase with no expectations of a future.
  • »01.02.09 - 10:14
  • Just looking around
    Rudei
    @Senex & Golem

I think I misunderstood the context of Golem's post - were you talking about Peg2 owners selling their machines in favour of MacMinis if MorphOS & AmigaOS were ported to that platform?

If so, my apologies. I read it as people would sell up now that OS4.1 had been ported to the Peg2, which I thought was a strange comment given that many a person had asked for this before :-)

Rude!
  • »01.02.09 - 10:15
    CountRaven
    Quote:

Kind of makes you wonder if they are already on their way to port AOS to Mac hardware also. I also remember reading that hyperion would be porting to PS3 also.

The fact is that there are official companies behind OS 4.1 and there is a possibility for Apple or Sony to aks for their piece of cake even if we talk about MacMini PPC ?for the case of Apple- that is not supported anymore. It is all about money after all.

MorphOS in the eyes of Apple ?if they are aware of it- it could probably be something like a alternative project based on computer maniacs and remaining unofficial. Case would be different for 4.1 cause Hyperion and acube are real companies.

I still do not know if MorphOS for MacMini will be free, in the case of not being free this case could probably ring the bells of Apple as well, but after all I do not seem they care much or even be aware of MorphOS ?as I pointed already-. I do not know, I am just discussing the whole thing.

EDIT: And there is sitll this mess with Amiga.inc and Hyperion as well, so everything could blow up!

[ Edited by CountRaven on 2009/2/1 10:21 ]
  • »01.02.09 - 10:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @Slayer

Quote:

those who want to stick with MOS are those who never really had enough AmigaOS spirit anyway, and good luck to you

Please not this old tired "teh rael AMIGA" excuses anymore. Everyone just does not like the way Amiga has went or have other reasons. The amiga was not about boing ball logo but fun.

[ Edited by itix on 2009/2/1 12:34 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »01.02.09 - 10:33
    CountRaven
    Quote:

Please not this old tired "teh rael AMIGA" excuses anymore. Everyone just does not like the way Amiga has went or have other reasons. The amiga was not about boing ball logo but fun.

+1
  • »01.02.09 - 10:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

That is very, very daring to say. I must say I couldn't disagree more with you. I guess that only person who hasn't ever used full potential of classic Amiga can make such statements. Or maybe it's just blind name worshipping, but justification for it is getting very questionable nowadays as you all probably have noticed.
  • »01.02.09 - 11:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    As the lucky owner of PegasosII/MorphOS2.2/Ubuntu/MOL and A1/OS4.1 machines. I am really pleased to see OS4.1 available for my PegII. I will be buying a copy! :-)

TrevorD
  • »01.02.09 - 11:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

Or maybe those who prefers to stick with a technologically way inferior clone made by incompetant people trashing the Amiga experience, spirit and history are the clueless sheeps who deserves to be called BAFs.
    But if that makes them happy...
  • »01.02.09 - 13:59
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    I'm sticking with the home team.

Both Genesi and the MOS Team have given me a great experience with my Peg and MOS.

I see no advantage to using it, MOS does everything I need quite well.

Why waste the time and money for a similar OS?

[ Edited by matt3 on 2009/2/1 9:32 ]
  • »01.02.09 - 14:31
    @henes, even if you're right, please calm down.. don't wan't te see a flame war starting like it was on ann years ago....
    Pegasos rulez since august 2002
  • »01.02.09 - 14:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    I don't want to troll but... I just can't resist!
    So the evil Pegasos built by infamous Genesi company owned by the devil itself bbrv is now TEH ONLY REAL TRUEEEH AMIGAHHH!
    The peg is currently the only machine where you can run the 2 nextgen amiga OSes!!!!
    Long life to Pegasos, teh ONLY rehal amigahhh!
    LOL
    -------------------
  • »01.02.09 - 15:23
    hooligan
    Quote:

maurensen wrote:

The peg is currently the only machine where you can run the 2 nextgen amiga OSes!!!!

Eh, ClassicPPC?
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »01.02.09 - 17:42
    Profile Visit Website