• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I like Matt's candor. Genesi needs to broaden its customer base to be profitable. Morphos and Amiga OS4.1 customers at best only represent a few thousand people (and that number may be an over estimate). By refocusing on Open OS and embedded products Genesi's market could be far larger. It's only fair that we not place to much of a burden on them in our quest for hardware support for Morph.
    So, the Peg2 design schematics are available, but its a non-Rohs compliant design. Freescale has a motherboard design based on the 8640 and 8641 processors, but it uses a ULi southbridge which is not in production anymore. Currently, outside of IBM, development of the Power PC processor seems pretty stagnant (or at best, very slow moving forward).
    What does that leave us. Frankly I think we're back to waiting on a Mac port. If that occurs then maybe enough people will become interested in this to justify a new PPC based design. Until we have that momentum, I don't see a large enough of a market to justify the development costs.
    Jim
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.02.09 - 21:12