• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Quote:

And for example many people buy a Mac only because its "hip". Or was

That's true. Another point, I just bought a MacBook Pro, not because it's hip or the OS. For me the major selling point was the design, apart from the glossy screen MacBooks are by far the best laptops. I went to a very large store with a massive selection of laptops and all of them were low quality compared to the Mac.

Quote:

And my or yours mom really don't care about MS marketing propaganda about open source software, trust me on this

OK, I believe you. But I am sure you have experienced this conversation where you say you like MorphOS and the other person says "Why do you hate Windows ?" because Windows is the default and they never considered there might be another option.

Quote:

Long story short, people are a bit afraid of Linux. Partly because it just didn't succeed as a homecomputer OS as it should and has a reputation of being complicated, and partly because most people want something "secure" and known.

On the contrary, I think Linux has been very successful as a home computer OS. It's very "Amiga-ish" to think that an OS is only successful if it beats Windows (which is not going to happen, by any OS, in the next 20 years).

Linux is also very secure (unless you read MS propaganda...)

Getting back on topic, MorphOS has exactly the same challenges as Linux in terms of recognition and desirability from the general consumer. It's unrealistic to expect to challenge Windows or Mac but I think we can broaden the appeal and grow a bit. For example, recent events such as Origyn web browser really help.
  • »03.02.09 - 06:44