hooligan
    Quote:

koan wrote:

You totally ignored Linux as a mainstream OS and now you say people don't want Linux. Isn't that your opinion ? Have you actually used it ?

Yes I did. As long as only my geekiest friends use Linux I refuse to consider it as a mainstream OS. And yes, I have used Linux, and yes its my opinion.

Quote:

I believe many home users wouldn't care as long as they get fast internet experience and can access all their files. I think they go with the name they know and no thanks to MS marketing propaganda that says open source software is insecure.

Agree. So far it just isn't so. And for example many people buy a Mac only because its "hip". Or was. Movieindustry for example boosted Mac-sales a lot. And my or yours mom really don't care about MS marketing propaganda about open source software, trust me on this :-)

Quote:

If your real purpose is to play games you should get an XBox or a Playstation.

Have

Quote:

What do I want ?

I think the majority of people are happy to buy small, cheap computers for surfing web, email and a bit of editing and if that is without Windows then they don't really mind. That is what Eee customers bought, it's crazy to say that most people who bought Eee thought they were getting a Windows box.

I am aware of two people personally who thought they were buing a Windows-computer. As a matter of fact the other one got a refund based on lack of information from salesperson about the product. I wouldn't go as far as to say majority of people thought they were buying a Win-machine but it has happened. All ads I have seen about minilaptops has had a Vista-like "screen" on them, btw.

Long story short, people are a bit afraid of Linux. Partly because it just didn't succeed as a homecomputer OS as it should and has a reputation of being complicated, and partly because most people want something "secure" and known.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »02.02.09 - 06:26
    Profile Visit Website