• Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

koan wrote:
    Quote:

You fail to mention _why_ Asus is dropping Linux - unsatisfied costumers!

They didn't offer matching coats and trousers ?
    Sorry, I had to say it ;)

LOL - I knew it didnt look quite right :-)

Quote:

This is not true. When the Eee PC was first offered, they were very open with screenshots that looked nothing like Windows.

Heh, what kind of customers (double check.. yes, correct this time) browse screenshots before buying? Most try them out in the store where they buy them. And "nothing like windows"? Are you kidding? The window decorations and colour theming tries to mimic windows XP as much as possible. For the record, I do have an eeePC 901 myself, it's what I'm typing this on.

Quote:

The people who bought it did so because it was tiny, could edit files and do a bit of internet. It trailblazed the path for netbooks. It was only later, after they built up enough interest, that they considered going to Windows. Presumably with a slightly more powerful model and more favourable licence negotiated from MS; knowing that they could make the sales.

OK, around here the eeePC didnt really get that much attention with the 700 series, it wasnt until the 900 came around that everyone wanted one and the sales took off.

Quote:

Why should a store have to "warn" people that a device is NOT Windows ? That seems bizarre marketing to me.

Yeah well, they started doing that after a while, as more and more people came back wondering why they couldnt not install their regular software on it. Asus started feeling the preasure as eeepcs were returned or swapped out with windows versions.

Quote:

Quote:

I dont know anyone outside geekhood who owns a N700/N800/N8210 - do you?

My point was that there are products running a satisfactory version of Linux aimed at the general market; Matt was suggesting that Linux was not ready in some respect.

Well, I dont think it is either, years of experience with linux on PDAs and various other devices just gave me frustration, it's not only in the user interface, it's actually just as much in how linux, or rather any unix, works - it doesnt fit well into a world of memory cards, usb sticks, network coming and going etc. The only people I know that are satisfied are people that prefer linux everywhere anyhow, they tend to forgive all the stuff that doesnt work well, and their single most used argument is that is surely is better than windows.

Quote:

I know a lot of people who want small, portable computers for internet, editing documents and nothing more. They know that Mac OSX is cooler than Windows but they can't afford it. They don't care about Windows if the device is cheap and small.

So... why dont they have an eeepc already?

Quote:

Quote:

Why would that make developers turn away?

You misread my post. Let me sum up my last points more simply:

IMHO the majority of developers who are interested in MorphOS don't want 2 machines on their desks.

I suspect a majority of them already have at least 2 on their desks already.

Quote:

They don't want to compile on a powerful machine in order to run on a real and much less powerful machine.

Why not? Why would anyone want to compile on an eeePC or nokia N810?

Quote:

Quote:

imagine running MorphOS on a KVM instance

It's only interesting from an academic point of view.

Why? Look at AROS and VMWaros for example.
    -- kolla
  • »02.02.09 - 01:59