• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    OK, let me see if I've got the current state of the hardware correct. The Peg2 is no longer in production and is not Rohs compliant. The Efika is relatively slow and has limited memory and expansion capability. The SAM440EP is not supported by Morphos, is only slightly faster than the Efika (slower the the Pegasos), and only offers PCI expansion for video. G4 Macs would be nice, but they're hard to port to because Apple is not very forthcoming about the details of its hardware. The PS3 is too closed (no access to the RSX) and the cell processor is still proprietary.
    So, a new computer doesn't sound like such a bad idea. However, the Marvell IV probably isn't one of the components we want to look at. It only has 2 4 lane PCI-e connections. The Freescale 8641D already has more than that built in. So, unless you want to look at adding a Marvell IV controller to something like an 8641D, the Marvell component looks weak (when connected to a 7447A or a 7448).
    Also, what processor do we want to consider? The 7447A and the 7448 are the closest to the processors used in the Peg2, so they're the easiest to design in.
    The 8640D is available, but its only a little faster than existing Peg2's G3 and G4 (and Morhpos isn't written to take advantage of dual cores). Also, it would require an almost total redesign of the board. The Freescale 8641D is listed as available by Freescale and Freescale has published a reference design for it. That design has its strengths and weaknesses (which we could discuss later), but in recent discussion with Freescale I've learned that they don't consider this chip to be in "Production Mode". So, we might have trouble obtaining that part.
    Then there are the current unobtainable processors like the Cell and AMCC's Titan. If any of these new processors were available, they would offer us further options.
    Also, no one has considered IBM. Their G5 was the direction Apple took (before going with Intel processors). While the G5 is significantly different (than the G4) , that's also an option.
    Right now, I'm personally just waiting for Apple G4 ports. I would not be surprised to see both Morphos and Amiga OS4.1 running on that platform in the future.
    But, second hand hardware is only going to get us so far.
    So, as I've said before, I'd like to see what you all think in regard to your expectations for new hardware and what components might be used.
    Jim
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »01.02.09 - 19:54