• Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

koan wrote:
    @ironfist
    Quote:

Asus is silently dropping Linux in favour of Windows.

Totally irrelevant.

Eee sold a lot of units when it was Linux only and barely any hope of installing anything different. That is proof that you can make a profit and not have to be running Windows. It could happen again if you have the right product and next time it could be another OS...

You fail to mention _why_ Asus is dropping Linux - unsatisfied costumers!
    There are numerous examples of stores selling Linux based Eee-machines without knowing that it's not windows, not warning people about it, even selling them a Linux based Eee along with windows software. A vast majority of the buyers do not want Linux, but do want the white 901. I personally would have bought the black one if I could get it with 4+16GB flash and no windows.

Quote:

If you are still not convinced, how about the Nokia N810 ? Nowhere as popular as the Eee but it's a very nice product, running Maemo.

I dont know anyone outside geekhood who owns a N700/N800/N8210 - do you?

Quote:

As much as I love MorphOS and my Peg, IMHO this market is drying up. EFIKA, SAM and older PPC Mac Minis are not powerful enough to be a main desktop machine and that is what most of the people who are willing to spend more money want.

They are powerfull enough for us, but those who create them should not even try to target mainstream - it's pointless and a waste of resources.

Quote:

Hardware direction is going towards embedded systems style; developers I have spoken to are turned away as soon as they think about how long a compile will take. I can't imagine they would accept developing on a host platform for a target.

Huh.. most embedded development is done that way, always was. Why would that make developers turn away? And compiling is fast these days. Oh, and hardware direction is going towards virtualization these days, that is yesterdays hardware is software today. Certain people claim to have had MorphOS running on Qemu already, imagine running MorphOS on a KVM instance from an IBM pSeries or PowerStation, or even emulated from a fast Xeon/Core2?

[ Edited by kolla on 2009/1/30 10:02 ]
    -- kolla
  • »30.01.09 - 09:01