MorphOS?
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    @Acill

official snapshot from AmbientTeam (14.10.2005)
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/morphosambient/ambient_142_20051014cvsr2.lha?download

my build with mimetypes support (21.12.05)
    http://axon.umcs.lublin.pl/~zukowski/ambient.lha
  • »08.01.06 - 16:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Thanks, but what does yours do over the other?
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »08.01.06 - 22:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ dolem

If you are not too much out of cash just go for the Peg. As some
    others just said, if you liked Amiga, you'll love MOS.
    Beside the georgeous OS, it is the community which is overwhelming.

And regarding the so called "lack of development". There is no such
    honestly. True, development could be faster, but well, resources are
    limited somehow. We had three major developments last year. Ppl forget
    too fast about that. First there was the update of the MOS mainarchive
    to MOS 1.4.5 (in fact there were two releases last year). And the step
    from 1.4.2/3 to 1.4.5 was quite big - not featurewise, but speed and
    stability improvements and bugremovements were *big*. Then there has
    been the 3d update. We have a good set of 3d drivers for not too
    old ATI cards now (well, we not only have the 3d driver, but the
    community gave us 3d applications, too). And then there was the big
    surprise of MOS for the PowerUp cards. All in all 2005 was quite a
    good year for MOS. Ppl are forgetting to fast and the prob is that MOS
    1.5 became a bit of a "magic word".

MOS 1.4.5 is quite useable. The biggest lack of 1.4.5 is the lack of a
    tcp/ip stack. *But* community gave the money so we have MosNet now, a
    3rd party tcp/ip stack (still alpha, but it is quite sufficient
    already).

MOS is still actively developed and we will see some future releases,
    at least as long as no intergalactic monster comes around swallowing
    down the whole MOS team in deep gulp. ;-)

After all it seems there is nothing preventing you from a convenient
    computer experience than your own hesitation...

Cheers

/edit: some typos

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2006/1/9 0:12 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »08.01.06 - 23:06
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Quote:

dolen wrote:
    The only advantage OS4 has over morphOS as far as I can tell is that OS4 devs get paid for their work.

Therefore according to your reasoning there's no advantage over MorphOS, because OS4 developers were not paid until now (they'll get the money after the "final" release AFAIK - this was told by OS4 developers themselves elsewhere). Some of them had to buy the A1s themselves, too. I guess only the Frieden brothers are paid, but they also did other work during the last 4+ years to get a living. I don't think MOS developers should be "envious", nor I think they should be less motivated.

@Acill
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Thanks, but what does yours do over the other?

Open Ambient site on SourceForge, go to the CVS and download the ambient.notes file. You'll get all the info you require and more (it's the simplest way to be up to date with Ambient development).
    Anyway, since December there's filetype recognition, and some kind of deficons. You can associate actions to filetypes (double click, drag'n'drop, or add entries to the contex menu). I compiled Ambient recently and configured filetypes soo that double clicking on a .zip, .lha or .lzx file opens a requester asking where to unpack the file's contents. I can decompress also by drag'n'drop the icon over the destination window or icon, and with the right button I can list the archive contents. Videos are shown with mPlayer, audio is playied with ANR, I can open html files with AWeb (right button) and V (double click), and a few other things. The programmers are working on a GUI for the configuration of filetypes, right now you have to create and fiddle with some textfiles.

Additionally, there'a a much better lister mode (if the author of the compile adds alfie's patches, you have also the mini icons in lister mode with MUI4 alpha) and a lot more functionalities. It's shaping very nicely, but it's still work in progress (so use at your own risk).

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »09.01.06 - 00:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Wow, i installed your Ambient and had no idea it does all that. I would like to learn more on how to get it all working. Aweb is my first choice in browsers now and has been for some time. ANR is my audio player as is mplayer my video player. Very cool stuff in there. Good work to all of you involved.

As for the MUI4 beta didnt it have some serious bugs? I installed it when it first came out an took it off the next day. I cant remember why, but it must have been something big to do so. If you could let me know what needs to get the new MUI as stable and at least as usefull as the current it would be a big help.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »09.01.06 - 03:03
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Been using the new filetype recognition of Ambient for a few days now.. I effin' love it :)

Finally I can download some archive or movie to ram: for a test purpose, and extract or play it from there in a matter of seconds. No more need to start Magellan, no need to start Mplayer, or extract using shell.

This feature was a long waited one... Ambient-team are doing tremendously good work. Thanks to all participants!
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »09.01.06 - 05:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    regardings mimetypes in Ambient, is there some special magic required?! I tried 3 different Versions now (this one mentioned here on that thread, a cvs compile from wikipeg, and a compileversion done by myself)
    However, I can see anything where i can define mimeactions and the filetype tab in the infowin shows allways "This filetype is an internal definiton in Ambeint ...." the "Edit filetype actions" button below is ghosted.

I tried various things before i finally gave up. And yes in the meantime I temporarly upgraded mui too. But perhaps there are additonal things required?! (the docs mentions also a mimetype.amod, but i guess this is obsolete by now? this amod is not there, and the mentioned doc is somewhat dated too)

So if someone could enlighten me, I saw it working for gunne and as several people mentioned here it is working, it actually should work for me too?
  • »09.01.06 - 14:54
    hooligan
    create a dir in MOSSYS:Ambient called filetypes..

Save this as "AVI_Videostream"

AMTD
    Name Audio Video Stream
    Type video/avi
    Match
    Name #?.avi
    OR
    Name #?.mpg
    OR
    Name #?.mpeg
    OR
    Name #?.ogm
    OR
    Name #?.wmv
    End
    Action
    Name Play with MPlayer
    Event DoubleClick
    Command AMIGADOS work:gfxtools/mplayer/mplayer %sp
    End
    Action
    Name Play with MPlayer (no overlay)
    Event Menu
    Command WORKBENCH work:gfxtools/mplayer %sp CGX_MODE=VMEM
    End
    Action
    Name Play with MPlayer (captions)
    Event Menu
    Command WORKBENCH work:gfxtools/mplayer %sp -vop expand=0:-100:0:50
    End
    Action
    Name Test envvar
    Event Menu
    Command AMIGADOS echo $somename
    End
    Action
    Name MD5
    Event Menu
    Command AMIGADOS ram:clip 0 `gg:bin/md5sum %sp`
    End
    End

and for "LZX_Archive"

AMTD
    Name Archive
    Type archive/lzx
    Match
    Name #?.lzx
    End
    Action
    Event DragNDrop
    Command AMIGADOS lzx x %sp
    Flag cd destination
    End
    Action
    Name Open
    Event DoubleClick
    Command INTERNAL loaduri vfs:///%sp?type=xad&mode=list NEWWIN
    End
    End

change them and make more to suit your needs.
  • »09.01.06 - 15:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Ahh thank you :)
    This seems somewhat to work. (At least mplayer does something now when doubleklicking on avis ;) ) However, this nice actioneditor which is shown by Gunne Steen on an ambient thread on pegasos.org (to bad it isn`t in english...) doesn`t work then for now?!
  • »09.01.06 - 15:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    I have installed the Mimetype version of Ambient, and i have crated in sys:mossys/ambient the filtypes dir.
    Then i have made the AVI_Videostream file, but i only got a requester named "Ambient mimetypes" with: No hexview yet for
    Media:movie1.avi
    Have i missed something?
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »09.01.06 - 17:23
    gunne
    Hi,

No, the Action Editor is not 100% complete yet.

I put up an unofficial compile at pegasos.org here:

Link

There is some scripts included, which should work if editing paths in them. Read the text. :-)

It is software under development, so dont expect things to work out of the box.

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »09.01.06 - 18:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dolen
    Ill wait and see what the OSW will cost. Genesi blogged about it yesterday saying they ended 05 with their first order (I guess for assembling) of the cards.
    The pegasos is a bit old by now for its prize.

And if I choose that option with morphOS I also prefers to pay a descent amount for upgrades keeping the development up, rather than having MOS free and not regularly updated.

BTW it would be interesting to hear whats happening with the Qbox.
    Anybody who knows if the boxes can run simultaniusly? (if there were more than one)
  • »09.01.06 - 20:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Now it works it was wrong name for the Dir it should be named AVI_Video_Stream.
    But how i get rid of the output in the console with MPlayer?
  • »09.01.06 - 21:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    Quote:

But how i get rid of the output in the console with MPlayer?

use

run >nil: util:mplayer/mplayer %sp

instead of just util:mplayer/mplayer %sp

you can do this on pictures aswell so the window with
    pictures isnt locked until you quit viewer..then drag'n drop works too
  • »09.01.06 - 22:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ dolen

Quote:

dolen wrote:
    Ill wait and see what the OSW will cost. Genesi blogged about it yesterday saying they ended 05 with their first order (I guess for assembling) of the cards.
    The pegasos is a bit old by now for its prize.

You realise that the "Open Server Workstation" will be a dual CPU, dual core G5 (64-bit) system? I don't see how an Amiga-like OS would make sense on such a machine (if it will run at all).

The Pegasos have everything you would normally need, and can easily be upgraded with PCI-cards. And if you think the Pegasos is expensive, wait until you see the price tag of the OSW. I would expect an initial price that is at least double the ODW's.

It will be great for Linux though, and open solaris and others ...

Quote:

And if I choose that option with morphOS I also prefers to pay a descent amount for upgrades keeping the development up, rather than having MOS free and not regularly updated.

I think we should stop pretending that our little community is a *market* that will be able to sustainably carry the development of an OS. The money needs to come from the outside, and providing updates and tools for free to the developers in this community only increases the chance of that happening IMHO.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »10.01.06 - 09:21
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    Quote:

I think we should stop pretending that our little community is a *market* that will be able to sustainably carry the development of an OS. The money needs to come from the outside, and providing updates and tools for free to the developers in this community only increases the chance of that happening IMHO.

Granny, I think development of MorphOS *OS* could be sustained by the community, that's done by a small core team, and now open source contributors in the case of Ambient (and MOSNet and KHTML browser if you count those). However we can't sustain the *hardware* development on our own.

Genesi needs the money and potential future rewards that come with all the non-MorphOS projects they are involved with. Like you, I don't think MorphOS is threatened by that. IMO MorphOS is not even threatened by OS4 on Pegasos unless Genesi rolls over for Amiga Inc./Hyperion stipulations that MorphOS support be dropped (IIRC Hype has talked about this in the past). The good thing for MorphOS about other Pegasos-based OSs is that it tends to ensure continuing availability of hardware.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »10.01.06 - 10:47
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dolen
    I see your point T.M.H Gram´ma. There must be free oppurtunity to get into morphOS and development. Thats the strengh of AROS thats even more available for everyone.
    But there could be some kind of shareware gold edition, membership or something. I don´t know. I hope genesi can make money from morphOS via the upcoming sub-laptop.
    About the hardware. Was the quad g5 core the only option for OSW?
    And also, was´nt there some talk about dual G4 up to 1.7 ghz?
    Im shure 1 ghz is enough for MOS but it does not feel right to pay the money for the old pegII when new things are at the door.
    I would also like a silent computer because I will use it in my music production. Not very fond of fan noise on my recordings. Anyone know whats happening with the passive cooling genesi talked about?
    And why should not amigalike OS´s be able to run on quad G5? I red somewhere morphOS kernal is a bit similar to beos which was developed specificly for multi-cpu. Also amigaOS was created to work with more than one chip, and phase 5 made it run on two compleatly different CPU´s.
    Maybe that´s why MOS 1.5 takes so long!
  • »10.01.06 - 11:55
    hooligan
    Quote:

But there could be some kind of shareware gold edition, membership or something.

membership... oh no no no, HELL NO! Le'ts not go on THAT road.. soon we're selling coupons and lotterytickets :-)
  • »10.01.06 - 11:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    This Ambient Version rocks the Lister are great, but i have no Icons, and the editable Mimetypes are so cool!!!
    Yeah, thank you Ambient-Team!!!
  • »10.01.06 - 12:01
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dolen
    I must add, the os does not talk to the hardware on the pegasos. It talks to the PegasosHAL which is the same on OSW so everything that runs on current pegs will run. At least thats how I understand it.
  • »10.01.06 - 12:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ Dolen

The PegII will get cpu cards with *one* G4 7448 @ 1.4 and 1.7 Ghz soon.
    The ABox is not able to use multiple cores. The QBox is vapour currently. Quark is prepared to use multiple cpus, but it has no practical benefit for the ABox.

The OSW is targeting the *server* market, it's technical advancements, while high, will not give too much benefit to MOS (if it runs on these maschines at all).

The PegII is still the ideal maschine for MOS. At Vesalia you get complete PegII systems for less than 700 EUR. A quite fair price IMO.
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »10.01.06 - 13:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

dolen wrote:
    I must add, the os does not talk to the hardware on the pegasos. It talks to the PegasosHAL which is the same on OSW so everything that runs on current pegs will run. At least thats how I understand it.

Yes and no. You still need device drivers.
    --

• »10.01.06 - 13:07
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Quote:

ThePlayer wrote:
    This Ambient Version rocks the Lister are great, but i have no Icons

To have the miniatures in lister mode you need:
    - MUI4 alpha installed
    - an Ambient version compiled including alfie's patches in the source code: https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=9350176&forum_id=44066 . Such patch has not been committed to the CVS since it's a problem that won't affect the final MUI4 release.

- edit: I'm wrong... the workaround is now part of Ambient CVS (and will be cancelled when MUI4 gets released), so you simply need an Ambient newer than 07 Jan, and public MUI4 alpha.

Kind regards,
    Andrea

[ Edited by guruman on 2006/1/10 15:47 ]
  • »10.01.06 - 14:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    I have MUI4 installed and i use the Ambient from Gunne!

Hey Robin maybe you could make again one compile for me and others with bigger icons and no debug stuf in the Menus please.
  • »10.01.06 - 17:11
    gunne
    Hi ThePlayer,

I made two new different compilations, with different flags turned on/of. The same link as above.

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »11.01.06 - 09:51
    Profile Visit Website