• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    Quote:

I think we should stop pretending that our little community is a *market* that will be able to sustainably carry the development of an OS. The money needs to come from the outside, and providing updates and tools for free to the developers in this community only increases the chance of that happening IMHO.

Granny, I think development of MorphOS *OS* could be sustained by the community, that's done by a small core team, and now open source contributors in the case of Ambient (and MOSNet and KHTML browser if you count those). However we can't sustain the *hardware* development on our own.

Genesi needs the money and potential future rewards that come with all the non-MorphOS projects they are involved with. Like you, I don't think MorphOS is threatened by that. IMO MorphOS is not even threatened by OS4 on Pegasos unless Genesi rolls over for Amiga Inc./Hyperion stipulations that MorphOS support be dropped (IIRC Hype has talked about this in the past). The good thing for MorphOS about other Pegasos-based OSs is that it tends to ensure continuing availability of hardware.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »10.01.06 - 10:47