guruman
    Quote:

dolen wrote:
    The only advantage OS4 has over morphOS as far as I can tell is that OS4 devs get paid for their work.

Therefore according to your reasoning there's no advantage over MorphOS, because OS4 developers were not paid until now (they'll get the money after the "final" release AFAIK - this was told by OS4 developers themselves elsewhere). Some of them had to buy the A1s themselves, too. I guess only the Frieden brothers are paid, but they also did other work during the last 4+ years to get a living. I don't think MOS developers should be "envious", nor I think they should be less motivated.

@Acill
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Thanks, but what does yours do over the other?

Open Ambient site on SourceForge, go to the CVS and download the ambient.notes file. You'll get all the info you require and more (it's the simplest way to be up to date with Ambient development).
    Anyway, since December there's filetype recognition, and some kind of deficons. You can associate actions to filetypes (double click, drag'n'drop, or add entries to the contex menu). I compiled Ambient recently and configured filetypes soo that double clicking on a .zip, .lha or .lzx file opens a requester asking where to unpack the file's contents. I can decompress also by drag'n'drop the icon over the destination window or icon, and with the right button I can list the archive contents. Videos are shown with mPlayer, audio is playied with ANR, I can open html files with AWeb (right button) and V (double click), and a few other things. The programmers are working on a GUI for the configuration of filetypes, right now you have to create and fiddle with some textfiles.

Additionally, there'a a much better lister mode (if the author of the compile adds alfie's patches, you have also the mini icons in lister mode with MUI4 alpha) and a lot more functionalities. It's shaping very nicely, but it's still work in progress (so use at your own risk).

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »09.01.06 - 00:49