• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

All this has done for MorphOS is prevent any chance of a 1.5 release any time soon. Ambient cant be part of it out of the box now because of the GPL as said below. Its a real mess I think.

A Mess?
    No kidding...

I think it's pretty obvious obvious that a release of 1.5 is not going to happen soon anyway - if it is ever released.

It not clear who owns what in MorphOS but unless contracts were signed saying otherwise the code belongs to whoever developed it (irrespective of whatever copyright they wrote on it).

If the developers were to GPL their parts and BBRV were to allow the same with whatever they do/did own I would imagine the majority of MorphOS would become available.

The rest (I don't imagine everyone wuld do this) could potentially be made up from bits from AROS or rewritten.

Using an AROS kernel gives the possibility of running hosted - that is providing a MOS "envrionment" on an other OS (Amithlon anyone?). That could massively increase the user base.

If an X client was added you could even have the possibility of apps like OpenOffice or Mozilla in MOS, they wouldn't really be running in MOS of course (they'd run on the host OS) but it would look like they were running in MOS. Note: before you write this off as mad I should point out OpenOffice does something remarkably similar in OS X.

GPLing the rest of MOS is in my the only option which really makes sense at this point in time. Otherwise I can't see a release as being possible in the forseeable future, the days of developers being paid to work on it are over...

I should point out though that GPL does not mean something cannot be sold, it only means source must be provided and there are imitations on what is linked with it.
  • »22.01.05 - 19:26
    Profile Visit Website