• Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Vincent_X
    Shogun,

Your right. Yopper and Knoppix don't have PPC versions, but I was using those as well as SuSE as examples of LiveCDs that actually do what they are supposed to do correctly. When I saw the specs for the Gentoo LiveCD I was looking to be impressed since their distrobution is world-class. As you can see, I was a bit more than disappointed at what appeared to be a lukewarm attempt.

Honestly, I really wouldn't recommend using SuSE either since their PPC distro is rather dated (7.1 still). Most likely if one just edited a few initrc files and reimaged the CD with them in the /etc directory a lot of the gentoo problems would vanish.

However the current half-way solutions are really frustrating. As it stands its possible to add a line to the initrc so that after booting up and running the first time installation, it would manually create a .xinitrc file with "exec startkde" or "exec gnome-session". But that still wouldn't be all that elegant since on boot you'd get dumped into a command prompt and have to manually "easyconfX" and then "startX". The best solution would probably be to make your own custom LiveCD off of gentoo. It wouldn't be that bad actually since they include a list of installed packages on the CD.

Magnetic,

If you're going to call names at least make them accruate, like Apple Programmer or Apple Developer. Failing that you could at least try to make them interesting insults. For instance, Macophile - it has some semblance of being a real term not to mention thats its a nice play on the word electrophile from organic chemistry. I've even seen someone use the term Macophilus Histeritica to describe people at MacWorld. Again, another fun term since it basically means Histerical Mac-Person, while being a play on two seperate microbial names - Haemophilus Influenzea and Entamoeba Histolitica. This is even before you consider the added bonus of it comparing Apple people to bacteria/parasites. So why don't you try to use one of those instead? At least it would be better than that kindergarden level "mac-troll" vocabulary you're using now.

Now to specifically answer the apple troll allegations, I'd say you were correct execpt for one small problem. That term is too narrow. In my spare time when I'm not being a MacMunk, I moon light as a Penguinista, Windows-Sheep, and a BeBitch. Pretty much no matter what the OS is, if someone does something I think is wrong - I'll let them know. Which by the way reminds me - its now tuesday and your site still isn't updated. :)
  • »24.06.03 - 23:45