• Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Vincent_X
    Miky,

I read before that you thought OS X would perform better on a PegasOS 2. It won't. Granted its been a while since I've used my friend's iBook which had a 500mhz G3, and a Rage 128 8mb video card, but it still ran rather well - pretty comparable to my G4 500 PowerBook.

You see, the G4 is pretty much a G3 core with 3 extra pipe stages and the AltiVec vector processing stack. Not a whole lot of change speed wise for non-vectored code. (You can find an in-depth explanation on ArsTechnica.) What gave OSX the real speed up was QuartzExtreme in 10.2 - which works by off-loading the GUI composting to the video card. The catch is that its done in OpenGL so the video card in your Mac had to able to run OpenGL. (I.E. pre-Rage128 chips won't hack it.)

Thats not the case in MOL - there is no hardware graphics acceleration support. Check you'll see. So even getting a PegasOS 2 won't help all that much despite being a G4. A clock increase would always help, and so would better video card emulation in MOL. Right now the current iBooks 800mhz G3 with Radeon Cards run OSX quite well if that tells you anything about the importance of QuartzExtreme over AltiVec.
  • »19.06.03 - 11:52