Try and fail with graphics card for mac pro on x5000
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Here are the facts.

I bought on leboncoin.fr a pci-e ati radeon x1900 xt graphics card for mac pro 2006 2008 with its cable to power it separately for my amigaone x5000/20 35 €. i was initially reluctant to buy and try graphics cards for mac pro because they don't have x86 bios/rm but mac bios/rom. Here one or two people wrote in a few threads that this graphics card or this type of graphics card works perfectly on an amigaone x5000.I received it last saturday but I only had time to try it yesterday. I installed it and connected a connector to power it on the back. The problems came when powering up. I used a dvi to hdmi cable that I plugged into the dvi port marked 1. Nothing happens as if the card does not initialize, its fan is running at full speed and is very noisy, 50 db or more. I changed to the 2nd dvi port but nothing. I waited 1 minute just in case but still nothing.

On leboncoin.fr is not offered for the transaction a payment by paypal but directly and only by credit card. The seller did not want to opt for a transaction by paypal. I will try to contact the seller to ask him to take back his graphics card as well as to reimburse me.

A friend advised me to flash the graphics card with a x86 bios/rom instead of the mac pro one. Is this a good idea or not ? I also hope the fan will want to run slower and quieter.

Brumiga
  • »19.10.24 - 14:16
    Kronos
    So many questions and all boil down to WHY???

___ a Mac card when PC parts are usually cheaper?
    ___ a x1900xt when various HDxxxx card would work better?
    ___ a card with DVI only when a HDMI input is to be used?

Unless you have good answers for these, resell the card as a MacPro card (assuming it isn't dead) and just get a better card.
  • »19.10.24 - 14:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    So many questions and all boil down to WHY???

___ a card with DVI only when a HDMI input is to be used?

Would HDMI output work anyway?

And AFAIK if he wants 3D acceleration the X1950 is still the way to go, right?
  • »19.10.24 - 19:40
    Kronos
    O.k. I admit I had to look up where 3D supports ends at the moment, so that may be a point.

HDMI on the other side is a no brainer and even the more basic specs will do double the bandwidth of normal DVI and the same as DualLink DVI just without relying on an active adaptor or older screen.
  • »19.10.24 - 20:00
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I am not sure a Mac Pro card would have a compatible BIOS.
  • »19.10.24 - 20:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    HDMI on the other side is a no brainer and even the more basic specs will do double the bandwidth of normal DVI and the same as DualLink DVI just without relying on an active adaptor or older screen.

Sure. But is there any gfx card that has got a working HDMI output when using current MorphOS drivers?
  • »19.10.24 - 21:56
    Kronos
    I got one in my AGP G5 and I am pretty all supported HDxxxx and Rx xxx cards that have one will work.
    At least as long as you don’t try to go dual head which might not yet be supported by any of these.
  • »19.10.24 - 22:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > i was initially reluctant to buy and try graphics cards for mac pro
    > because they don't have x86 bios/rm but mac bios/rom. Here one
    > or two people wrote in a few threads that this graphics card or
    > this type of graphics card works perfectly on an amigaone x5000.

Can you please link to such threads?
  • »20.10.24 - 00:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > AFAIK if he wants 3D acceleration the X1950 is still the way to go, right?

Not necessarily since the ninth public TinyGL beta, which brought support for TeraScale2-based cards. Unfortunately, the tenth beta from 3 weeks ago lacks this support, which should return in a later release.
  • »20.10.24 - 00:16