• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

deka schrieb:
    [...] Fixed place windows, the focusing policy. The huge icons (used to be on older AmigaOS) also could be a very unique feature. GTK or QT should be also personalized to get the requested look. [...]

While I like the idea of a Linux WM + DE looking and behaving just like MorphOS and it may sound good in theory and logical to do so I think it is quite an undertaking...

You would need to patch GTK-3 and -4 and also QT 5 (probably 6 too) to force the majority of programs to use MorphOS look&feel. Additionally you may need to fiddle around with Xorg and Wayland to make your WM behave the MorphOS way. And you would need to maintain these large out-of-tree patches and adapt them to new GTK/QT versions coming along. This is much more effort than it may first look like.

But true, if this goal would be achieved the end result would be much more prepared to use it every day. Would people pay for using another Linux WM + DE + some closed source software (e.g. Iris). I highly doubt it. ;-)

I think once a new multi-core MorphOS capable of utiliting more then 2 GB RAM has been ported to a current hardware platform it will attract new users. If you compare it software-wise to other alternative OSes (like Haiku, RISC OS, ArcaOS, MenuetOS) MorphOS has a pretty good standing and an excellent selection of default apps.

But when this happens we don't know and like to speculate for over a decade now due to it's closed source nature. ;-) Personally me too would like to read over some github tracker to check what's going on but we are in Amigaland here and I understand going OpenSource OS-wise would generate too much noise, non-technical dicussion & effort for only little gain.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »19.03.24 - 13:35