• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

bash64 schrieb:
    yep. i am buying the upgrades tonight.
    shopping for the imac g5.
    do i really need 4gb? mos wont use it right?
    before i take the plunge,
    how would you rate this imac ability to surf the net?
    the powerbook g4 i just bought cant even do it.
    maybe text mostly websites like aminet

[ Edited by bash64 17.05.2023 - 04:20 ]

I have 1.5 GiB RAM on my G5 and it is really enough. While on the Powerbook and Mac mini with each 1 Gib RAM I have to watch RAM an the G5 with 1.5 GIB I don't have. But in most cases 1 GiB is also pretty much enough.

Speedwise the iMac G5 is a good share faster on browsing than the G4. On the G4 most sites feel a bit like chewing gum while on the iMac G5 it is way more liquid - no comparison to my ipad or windows laptop, but really fast enough to be not annoying.
    Other things are indeed faster on the G4 (decoding jpgs with showcase for example). It's also noteworthy that (at least my iMac) is pretty silent (the fans are spinning, but the noise is low and not disturbing). The total energy uptake is also surprisingly low, same range as the Mac mini + Display.

It's a nice machine!

extra info: Changing the hdd is also okay - not as easy as with the Mac mini, but easier than with the powerbook.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »17.05.23 - 21:31
    Profile Visit Website