I would like to have in future version of the MorphOS:
    - SMB v2 (or v3) support,
    - datatype or Reggae decoder of HEIF.
  • »16.06.22 - 20:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    tolkien
    MorphOS is becoming more exciting each release.
    I would suggest an improved FlowStudio (better debugger integration, more documentation about scripts, etc).
    A git GUI for lazy people like me? Why not? ;)
    With Jaca in the net features and bigfoot in the gfx land I cant ask for much more.
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »16.06.22 - 21:09
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    @tolkien wrote:
    MorphOS is becoming more exciting each release.

I couldn't agree any more with you!

I would like to update my bucket list items:

The only app I really need to function again under MOS is Checkitout. I really can't substitute something for all my finances, so I will have to use my 3000 only for this function, everything else is now under MOS. This did work under 3.15 just fine, it only stopped with 3.16 sadly...

I found that PolyOrganizer is really quite good! Does anyone know if the author is still involved with MOS? I wouldn't mind donating to the cause if he still is in the game... OnTheBall is really quite buggy under MOS, so I started testing other software and PolyOrga does what I need very well.

AmiBack I can work around, it isn't convenient for me, but I can find a way around it eventually if it is do much of a lift to build a workaround in the OS. Amiback and the scheduler bridge MOS and AOS 3.x for me nicely...

Certainly faster IO options for SSD's mention earlier would be nice.
  • »18.06.22 - 22:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    I'm not convinced that it would be super useful in an Efika, but if you're willing to get experimental, you could try something like the StarTech ST1000BT32. Seems to be keyed for universal PCI operation, and it uses the Realtek 8110SC chip, which there is a chance would work with the existing MorphOS Realtek 8168 driver.

But let me just make this very clear: There's no guarantee that this card will work, so trying it is taking a little bit of a chance. Luckily it's not very expensive.

Finally i tested two PCI cards: ST1000BT32 with RTL8110SC and other with RTL8169SC chip in Pegasos 1 with 8168 driver.
    Unfortunatelly no luck. With PCItool are visible, but I cannot load the device driver - I allways receive message:
    Code:
    Unable to open the device or the selected unit

There are no other (especially PCI) errors in debuglog.

I will try later also with Pegasos 2 and Efika.
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »25.06.22 - 17:47
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    Another thing I’d like to have is a different OS update procedure.
    What prevents Morphos to update itself via a standard installer or remote automatic update?
  • »29.06.22 - 13:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    Another thing I’d like to have is a different OS update procedure.
    What prevents Morphos to update itself via a standard installer or remote automatic update?

The current method is more or less fool-proof.

If a new OS update were to include a hardware incompatibility, which is rare but has happened, you simply remove your CD, USB or SD install medium and boot back into your perfectly working existing MorphOS installation.

By comparison, maintaining separate bootable "work" and "update" installations of MorphOS, which would include separate boot.img files, on the same system would increase the level of complexity by a lot, which in itself can introduce new pitfalls/bugs, and would require a substantial engineering effort for arguably little gain in terms of convenience given that new MorphOS updates are not exactly being released every week.
  • »29.06.22 - 13:53
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    About HW incompatibility could be "bakupped" existing installation in a tmp storage drawer/partition prior new system update and reverted back in case of any incompatibility.
    Maye could be used some already existing software (asking permission to its author) to make this process easy.

Why I ask this? Because not all systems let usb boot and I have everytime to burn new CD, this is a bit a annoyng to me.
  • »29.06.22 - 16:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    About HW incompatibility could be "bakupped" existing installation in a tmp storage drawer/partition prior new system update and reverted back in case of any incompatibility.

This is a lot more complicated than you may think it is.

In order to revert a backup, you first need an OS version that is known to work and can be used for undoing a prior installation attempt.

As I referenced earlier, you would pretty much end up with two versions of MorphOS installed. One for daily use and an extra copy for running the latest OS installer.

Quote:

Maye could be used some already existing software (asking permission to its author) to make this process easy.

This piece of software would have to be a complete operating system that can boot by itself in order to revert file operations. It would also have to be compatible with every single piece of hardware that MorphOS supports.
  • »29.06.22 - 16:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I hope Morphos will include updated FFMpeg (FFplay) in the future.
    If anyone can help "beworld" port this.
    That would be an excellent step towards streaming.
    Because it is useless to repeat it but the streaming can also be seen with a simple Powerbook.

Thank you.
  • »02.07.22 - 04:24